Picard=The Cage

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by EnriqueH, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

i think you’re mistaking bad characters for bad writing. The actors are all fine. Their backstories and motivations are not particularly egregious. It’s the material they have to work with that stinks.

EnriqueH and Danja like this.
  2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Banana bread!

3. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Hey, pal, I got one word for you: IDIC. Further, you understand NOTHING about my overall opinion of the show, or you wouldn’t have just shoved your foot in your mouth.

4. The Old Mixer

Less pushing on the playground, please. (Yeah, I ain't wearin' this day-glo chest strap for nothin'.)

5. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I don’t know if it’s Corona or if my eyesight is going or what, but I thought your profile pic was Colonel Tigh from nBSG until just now lol

6. Bollie74

Bollie74 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great character, she is as beautiful than as now and Ryan herself is a class act.

7. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*La Sirena.

8. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

I still don't know that. O'Brien was intended to be a hot piece of ass?

9. The Old Mixer

I wish I'd watched BSG recently enough to come up with the right Tigh line to respond to this, because I know he had some good ones.

Arpy likes this.
  10. EnriqueH

Deadbolt that frakkin thread!!!!

Arpy likes this.
  11. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

If that happens, should they keep La Sirena, or should they get another ship?

12. EnriqueH

Someone help me out here. I want to like the crew, I don’t have a problem with the actors. So what the hell is it? Why is it that I loved the Romulan roommates, while I’m having such a tough time with the crew? Something is just not jibing with me.

In The Cage, I liked Pike and Boyce, enough that—-in an alternate reality—- I would not mind seeing an entire season of Pike adventures with Jeffrey Hunter. But it’s absolutely undeniable that Kirk and McCoy were radical improvements.

Maybe it’s not the actors, maybe it’s the writing, or maybe it’s a combination of both? Either way, I’m finding a certain natural chemistry or SOMETHING lacking. Maybe I just need to start watching it all over again?

Thoughts?

13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Let's start from the beginning and take it from the top. Then we might find something to work with along the way.

What specifically don't you like about them? Don't just say "they're cookie-cutter". That's too broad and doesn't tell us anything. Why do you think they're cookie-cutter? What would make them, in your opinion, not cookie-cutter?

14. EnriqueH

I probably need to rewatch the show to give you a better answer.

Is it that the scripts are trying too hard to make them ragtag or rebellious or angsty? When Raffi said something about Rios being a pissant or something like that, it didn’t feel natural. It felt like they were trying too hard to make her...I don’t know...tough? Rebellious?

15. EnriqueH

I can tell that the actress of Raffi is capable
    because she has moments of power and humanity.

16. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

For some people, this is one of the unforgivable sins (along with Patrick Stewart getting old, apparently).

17. EnriqueH

I don’t mind TNG characters making an appearance if it’s natural and flows organically.

I thought Hugh and Seven’s appearances made sense.

Riker/Troi were nice, but not integral.

Arpy and Qonundrum like this.
  18. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

If it helps anyone, I liked Hugh...

until he got the lame treatment (as plenty of others) of being killed off lamely, but it just goes to show there are aspects of a show one can both like and not like and not a blanket statement either way. The only thing that has more wood in this show is the background scenery on Riker's log cabin house.

Kilana2 likes this.
  19. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I kind of don’t like Rios and it may be the acting. His multiple personalities are fun, but they are supposed to be. I don’t feel an adult grit and edge in the performance of Rios himself. The look is there, but the actor doesn’t do it for me.

Laris and Zhaban have a subtlety and indirect charm that make them more intriguing.

Jurati I think is in part (by design or not) an indictment of the surface-level niceness and excellence of the Federation characters. She’s highly intelligent yet speaks charmingly colloquially. The actress’s delicate and slippery performance makes her interesting to watch.

Kilana2 likes this.
  20. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Rios and Soji? Soji and Narek were boring in bed, but with Rios? Arriba!