Picard Season one.... I miss Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by AntonyF, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2020
    antinoos, Gonzo and fireproof78 like this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You must have missed Riley on TOS then ;)

Yanks likes this.
  3. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are you implying that Battle ***ing Star Galactica is a lighter, more 'hopeful' show then PIC?

4. fireproof78

If so then I only have a handful of reactions...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SolarisOne, Lord Garth and antinoos like this.
  5. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

I read it as BSG was supposed to be a downer, while Trek isn't, so the BSG reboot got its concept right but recent Trek iterations don't get theirs right.

It's not crazy if you grant the premise of Trek being inherently limited to happy positive storytelling. But that premise is bad.

Sci, Ovation, frankieteardrop and 5 others like this.
  6. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think this ended very hopefully.

It's not like Star Trek hasn't postulated "right to die" as a part of its principles before. This was the lesson of the Voyager Q Trial after all. I don't get it, it's not for me, and I think that it's a silly principle both from religious as well as materialist standpoints. However, Data is presented as flat out not wanting to live and is lacking any motivation to continue. Either he "came back wrong" or he's winded down in his life from some other respect.

So go he must.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Turtletrekker and SolarisOne like this.
  7. Lanzman

Lanzman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. The BSG reboot was actually better than the original. The original was often written very poorly, with almost no attention paid to the base concept other than "Cylons bad, go boom now."

After TNG, the only Trek show to really have the right idea was Voyager, and that show was such a pile of dreck that it was basically unwatchable.

8. fireproof78

"Get it right?"

Get what right? Action/adventure with social commentary through an optimistic lens is the core of Trek.

The Lensman, Ovation and Lord Garth like this.
  9. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

As someone who finds DS9 to be substantially better than TNG, I'm not following that either.

Vger23 and fireproof78 like this.
  10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

It's really best to split Star Trek up by decades (more or less) and acknowledge that it changes from one to the next.

11. fireproof78

Indeed. Art reflects culture and the times in which it is produced and Trek is no exception. There isn't one small box that defines Trek.

12. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Trek isnt supposed to be dark!!"

Puts on The Siege of AR-558....literally can barely see the screen.

13. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

It certainly is.

Danja likes this.
  14. fireproof78

What drives me nuts is that it feels like a double standard, especially when fairly dark stories are rated more highly than others. "The Best of the Both Worlds" could hardly be called a light story. Same with "City on the Edge of Forever."

Yet those (among other darker ventures) get glossed over? I can appreciate that tastes will different but can there be some consistency?

Danja likes this.
  15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Most fan "best of" polls of original series episodes tend to alternate between having "The City on the Edge of Forever" and "The Trouble with Tribbles" as their number one and number two, and you couldn't possibly find two episodes more diametrically opposed in tone.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  16. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

We’ll get a Trek show eventually. Just give it time.

17. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Why wait? Just step through the Atavichron or the Guardian--you can join us in the present and enjoy new, actual Trek right this minute.

18. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Best of Both Worlds is a great and dark and heavy story. But it can be great AND dark AND heavy because the characters are lived in. By the time we get to BoBW, we know the crew and perhaps most importantly, we like the crew.

Same with the Dominion War story. Same with Garak. Same with nearly all of Trek's successful darker moments. They help refine a character we already like instead of being all there is to the character/story.

19. fireproof78

I am of the opinion that a darker story showcases more of a character than the lighter stuff leading in to darker stuff. Now, this will vary, because I am one who doesn't enjoy dark for darkness sake, like nuBSG. But, and I'm kind of surprising myself right now, I think that Trek allows for going right in, especially with Picard. DSC might not get away with it as much.

This is definitely a mileage will vary thing.

I'll let Picard answer this one:

"It will never come again." I love TOS as "my" Trek but it will never come again. Trek, like all art, is a product of its time, a reflection of contemporary life. Current Trek may not be for everyone, but that does not mean that we will get past Trek again.

20. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I will never understand fandom and the continual inability to accept that not liking something does not equal “not true [insert title here].”