Picard Season 3 Teaser Trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Precious Tritium, Sep 8, 2022.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since there are 3x more impulse engines, does that mean the 25% rule was total bullshit?

(Asking4friend.)

The Wormhole, Danja and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  2. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

You could be right, I know that you know the Seven of Nine character *very* well, probably more so than me. I am biased and want her to Captain my favorite ship, or at least eventually an Enterprise, she would be more than capable. I never considered Captaincy attributes against a starship type before now, I don’t think that Seven is like Commander Riker though, she should not inherit his ship. Unless she can *actually* fry eggs or omelette and not fail them in to scrambled egg. I would be more inclined to give Seven an Enterprise myself, but as previously stated… I have bias. She *could* have a lot of diplomats on her crew to help her on an Enterprise? A good Captain/soldier can ferry diplomats just as well as being one? It’s all about balance? :shrug:

3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

That’s what he calls it. It may not be THE Titan A. From the look of the ship It looks to be a older design. Something from the TMP era.

Timofnine likes this.
  4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Maybe the original Titan was decommissioned after 20 or so years of service. Depending on what kind of wear & tear their subjected to, some Starfleet ships may have relatively short life-spans, IMO,

Commander Troi likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

It has move era ball turrets... no phaser strips.
    It has indents on the hull of the saucer (again, NOT phaser strips).
    This thing looks like it belongs in the 23rd century and its partly hideous.

How can this be a successor to the Titan-A?
    It looks ridiculously out of place.

Is ST:Picard intentionally putting out hideous stuff?

6. Deks

I don't think so. If you ask me, it means that designers have 0 sense of aesthetics and functionality when it comes to ST ships for the 25th century (when hideousness takes over for a time?).

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes

Vger23 likes this.
  8. Deks

Waste of resources if they last only 20 or so years.
    SF ships are designed to usually last 100-200 years... and because of replicators and transporters they COULD be perpetually refitted/upgraded/reshaped/refreshed (down to the superstructure) to keep them in service indefinitely (barring any ship wide catastrophe where the thing is beyond repair - although, it really wouldn't be since if you just have a massive hulk of the ship, just take it, decompose it into base elements and reconstitute into a new ship).

9. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

It's what she did for eighteen years.

Different class ships perform different tasks (Enterprise's and Titan's missions are different from Cerritos's).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  10. Deks

Kate Mulgrew is actually looking to get the whole VOY cast on Prodigy.
    And there are talks of ST: Janeway series as well.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Maybe in our limited resources eyes, but given how many ships Starfleet produces, 20+ years for a single vessel may be considered good mileage. In "All Good Things...", the Enterprise-D was originally going to be decommissioned after less than 25 years of service. The Enterprise-A and NX-01 Enterprise were both retired in less than 10 years.
    Actually, very few ships seem to able to do that. A case could be made that some designs could last 100+ years or more though.

SolarisOne, Ar-Pharazon and Danja like this.
  12. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No... They just let Deanna drive the titan once ... ONCE...

ThetaSigma and Danja like this.
  13. Deks

No offence, but every time Diana was behind the wheel she saved lives and ended up with a mostly intact hull.
    The Ent-D crashing was Riker's and Worf's fault what with only firing 1 phaser beam instead of a Sierra pattern for torpedoes and all phasers to destroy that BoP in a single shot like they should have.

Deanna made a VERY tough landing under precarious circumstances at best... and all of the crew in the saucer survived the crash landing with most of the saucer more or less intact.

As for the Ent-E - it surived... Deanna only crashed it into Shinzon's ship on Picard's order as the ship was outmatched and Picard needed a different strategy to disable the Scimitar.

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Came here hoping to see some speculation about what the season might be about...and instead it's yet another discussion about ship designs. Meh.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I kind of find that hard to believe, since Picard’s Stargazer lasted from the end of the 23rd century to the 2360’s, and didn’t get a replacement for 40 years. Contrast this with the Titan. Riker’s ship was brand-new as of 2379, lasted at the most 20 years, and is then immediately replaced? (granted this is all speculation at this point, but until we know otherwise, that seems to be what happened here.)

16. fireproof78

And how ugly they are...because, you know, ships are all about beauty.

17. Deks

Limited resources?
    Perhaps... but we still have the ability to produce abundance in a sustainable capacity with minimal impact to the environment. We just opt to not do so because of the outdated socio-economic system and out of whack priorities.
    Starfleet and the Federation given their principles and all would probably not be as stupid (but it seems modern Trek has gone into the direction where things like these are just discarded).

Never made any sense to me that a ship would be decomissioned after less than 25 years of service.
    The NX-01 being retired after less than 10 years might make sense because the UFP was being formed and its design was more or less outdated to acommodate for the influx of new technology and science in the mix.
    This was also before replicators and transporters (or at least as far as construction goes).

However, as we saw, ST:Picard did canonize the Nx-01 refit with the secondary hull (which was featured in the novelverse)... indicating the ship DID in fact serve beyond the 10 year time frame.

The ENT-A was already a pre-existing Constitution class refit (a botched one it seems given its initial state) and the design itself was over 50 years old it seems.
    Not 100 years, but maybe SF decided to make an exception here because the Excelsior class may have been just a lot better than the Constitution in every single way... and who knows, it may have been easier to build over the refit Connie with less problems (again, this was before replicators and subatomic manipulation of matter).

I can see SF producing a given class of ships for the first few years maybe and then stopping production.
    With so many member worlds and the size of UFP, SF could easily make 1500 ships of a given class in about a month or two across the Federation... possibly less (making a ship takes less time than desigining one).

The Excelsior lasted for over 80 years... as did the Constellation... and Miranda class too.

I just think Trek decided to go the less efficient route and create new designs for the sake of it as opposed to things that made sense.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  18. Deks

So... what?
    We should ignore how a ship looks?
    Come on... why should we settle for hideous designs when there's nothing stopping showrunners from desigining something that looks good and is functional in the process while at least making it look like it belongs in the era its set in?

With the technology UFP has, functionality wouldn't really produce blocky and aesthetically less than appealing designs... but since stuff like that is out the window, I guess we can also start putting Star Wars stuff into Trek and call it a day.

19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've yet to see what I would consider a hideous canon design.

SolarisOne and SurvivorJoe like this.
  20. fireproof78

It's all subjective. Looks fine to me. Looks real, capable, balanced. Not sure how it is wrong for the era.

Commander Troi, SurvivorJoe and Danja like this.