Spoilers Picard: COUNTDOWN! - Comic is available, spoiler discussion within

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Khan 2.0, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think we can read too much into IDW's costume and ship design choices. They may not have access to the actual materials from the show and are just drawing on what references they have available.

Allyn Gibson, Blamo and Tuskin38 like this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Exactly

It doesn’t have to be the F on his desk, maybe it’s the USS Odyssey, maybe it’s a concept model. We can’t exactly see a name written on it.

Also Dayton Ward said that some of the info plaques at the Picard museum are outdated now, maybe that’s one of them.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  3. Rusty0918

Rusty0918 Commander Red Shirt

Who is to say it isn't the Verity herself? The bridge of said vessel does match the Odyssey-class bridge seen in STO. That ship could easily be the Verity.

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

And that’s fine. The Verity can be an Odyssey class ship. I just don’t like that design for an Enterprise.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Paul Weaver likes this.
  5. Danja

Danja Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From the article:

They're not spoiling anything.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd say if you watch the trailers carefully, they've given away some bits already. The attacks Picard is dreaming about in the second trailer looks to be on the Utopia Planitia fleet yards shown in this comic.

7. Danja

The trailers are bound to spoil SOME things (such is the nature of the beast).

I was talking about the comic.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The loop hole, however is that since the third and final issue is to be released after Picard's premiere, they can cover relevant aspects of Picard's backstory from the show, like how and why he left Starfleet, without technically spoiling the show, since it premiered six days prior.

Danja and Tuskin38 like this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the STO designs were mandated by CBS/production because of the story, or did the just artist choose them because they’re CBS licensed examples of Post-Nemesis designs. Meaning they can use them without asking permission. It’s also easier than scratch designing new ones.

Danja likes this.
  10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt it was mandated, otherwise wouldn't they be using the STO uniforms like the 2009 Countdown did?

Danja likes this.
  11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

I’m not sure how those two things are connected.

They can pick and choose. Just because they use one STO design doesn’t mean they have to use all of them.

12. Christopher

It's probably just a case of the comic-book artists using what visual references are available.

Skipper, Danja and Tuskin38 like this.
  13. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

The only references to the Enterprise in the Picard exhibit are in the context of his tenure as its captain.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  14. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

There’s an extra page from the comic featured on Startrek.com...

It’s implied that the Enterprise E is still the current Enterprise (though it’s current captain is unnamed), Riker and Troi are still on the Titan, and Picard mentions the “Romulan supernova” being at least a year away.

Markonian, Leto_II and Tuskin38 like this.
  15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

There's also a variant cover in the gallery that looks a lot better than the main one.

[​IMG]

16. Danlav05

Danlav05 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting so this is 2385/86 and "Children of Mars" is said to be 2384. It seems like these are all pieces of a puzzle

Danja likes this.
  17. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

I think this came from SDCC but I’m not sure if it was explicitly stated to be “2384” or just “15 years ago”? If it’s the latter then it could easily been a rounded up number and Children of Mars could be set anywhere around 2384-2386.

Would be strange it was set before this comic, feels like it would be missing a big chunk of information (for those that don’t read the comic at least).

Danja likes this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They knew about the supernova a year before it happened? I thought it was supposed to be really sudden and they didn't have time to evacuate?

19. Danja

Perhaps it's something along the lines of the explosion of Krypton -- a slow-moving disaster? :confused:

F. King Daniel likes this.
  20. Christopher

It would take a long time to evacuate an entire planet with a population of billions. And maybe they only had a rough estimate on when it would happen, and it blew sooner than expected.

Markonian likes this.