Photobucket just broke a million forums on the internet - including this one!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Candlelight, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I wouldn't mind paying either, but I don't see a way so far.

One thing you can do about the banner is right-click on it and selecting view image. That will give you the url, and possibly a clue as to where it is.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, I got it now. It's not so hard when you're awake. :rommie:

Two things I noticed is that they don't seem to support drag-and-drop and there doesn't seem to be a way to rename galleries-- neither of which is a big deal, just strange.

Same here. I would have been happy to sign up for one of Photobucket's plans if they had included embedding.

It might be easier to just change it to your account, rather than worry about where it is.

Yeah, I was skimming their FAQ and they mentioned both premium accounts and advertising-- I saw no evidence of either.

3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I don't have an account with photobucket yet I am getting the placeholder when I look at pictures posted here. Why is that?

BTW: I have a solution for everyone.

Check with your ISP.

I know with mine you are given 50 mb of webspace to host a website but I killed mine off years ago and now use that space to host random images. No ads, no photobucket and it works.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Because the links are broken?

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  5. Gingerbread Demon

Oh ok ...

Anyway I suggest people look into my suggestion most ISPs will offer you a webspace and instead of web page you can link images to those.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Comcast used to do that, but they don't anymore. That's why I switched to Photobucket several years ago.

7. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just use Imgur. It's easier to use and it's free.

Random_Spock likes this.
  8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's funny. For years I don't recall seeing a single e-mail from Photobucket, but ever since this whole debacle began they've been blitzkrieging my inbox, trying to get me to upgrade my account.

Fat chance. I haven't really used that account in years. I've long since switched to Imgur.

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    It's been making me wonder why they're suddenly so incredibly desperate for money that they would risk alienating long-time subscribers.

I know that once I find somewhere to put my stuff, I'm not going to renew next year.

10. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

It's the same mentality as Phishing emails, of the tens of (or hundreds of) thousands sent out, some will bite, pay the money and it will be worth it for the originator of the emails.

11. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

So they took away the only feature they were ever really useful for...sounds like a good idea. I think I'll be moving on from Photobucket.

Scout101 and Avro Arrow like this.
  12. Gingerbread Demon

Someone has an awesome avatar.....

Spot's Meow likes this.
  13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're also throttling back on their bandwidth consumption, probably by a great deal.

I know basically nothing about their financials, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that this could end with Photobucket coming out ahead.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, for a mere $100 a year, I can go back to using them for random photo posts? (the $60 plan doesn't allow 3rd party hosting).

not so much.

Any reason that drove them to just commit suicide? Going from free to $100/year for the primary service they provide isn't a great way to stay relevant...

15. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The $100 plan doesn't allow 3rd party hosting either. You need to pay $399 per year to get that.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course it's entitlement. Customers ARE entitled - to a good deal. That is not what I see here.

17. Gingerbread Demon

Are they doing this because they are in any financial poo?

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Probably some new suit or other.

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

So, thanks to Google/YouTube, anybody at all can upload hours and hours of high-definition video blogs describing what they ate for breakfast, but if one wants to keep a few megabyte's worth of jpegs on hand to share, well, that's a royal pain the arse.

Weird world. :p

Gary7 likes this.
  20. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Photobucket could have introduced a low cost hosting model for people who post to forums. But they didn't and I don't use them any longer.

Their website became atrociously overloaded with ad scripting. I went from finding it "somewhat slow" and tolerable, to completely intolerable within the span of a few months. The only way I could circumvent the tremendous lag and unusable interface was to install Ghostery, an ad scripting blocker. That helped. But it's maybe 50~70% effective. The site still sucks, compared to the competition.

I now use postimg.org. Really fast and easy. The only drawback is that their auto-thumbnail links don't load the full image directly on clicking -- it brings you to the page where ads are displayed. But you can revise the auto-generated thumbnail links to correct that without too much trouble. I just wish they had nested folders, something Photobucket enabled easily. It would go a long way to helping organize the usage of photos.
    So for example, I'd like to have:
    StarTrek --> TOS
    StarTrek --> TOS --> Actors
    StarTrek --> TOS --> Scenes
    StarTrek --> TOS --> Humor

Instead you have to have top level folders named like:
    StarTrek-TOS-Actors
    StarTrek-TOS-Scenes
    StarTrek-TOS-Humor

Etc.