Photo request -- Enterprise hangar deck studio miniature

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Professor Moriarty, Aug 13, 2007.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

:lol:

2. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, people just plain didn't pay attention when the sign only said "Warning: this door leads directly to hard vacuum". "Fire" was deemed to be a more efficient deterrent, especially after the installation of flamethrowers connected to the handle.

Where should we think the set door lies, in relation to this model? By conventional wisdom, it doesn't seem as if it could fit between the outer hull and the sides of the hangar... But note that the door is at an angle to the corridor leading to it, much like the doors marked "ELEVATORS" are on the sides of the hangar model. Perhaps we could squint just right and pretend that this indeed is the forwardmost of the "ELEVATORS" doors? (Peering through it, one should be able to see the shuttle, as indeed happens on occasion.)

Timo Saloniemi

4. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

And since you can't see the hangar bay clamshell doors behind the shuttlecraft, the only logical explanation would seem to be that this set of double doors is indeed on the starboard side of the hangar deck (assuming that the shuttle is pointing towards the clamshell doors).

5. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^

Can't that shot show the shuttle after the hangar deck elevator has lowered it to a storage or maintenance facility?

6. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Or the grey wall could be some sort of opaque force-field that they put up because the clamdoors weren't sealed closed yet...

So many fanon possibilities...

7. Professor Moriarty

But see, that's the argument I'm trying to make... there just isn't enough vertical room for a storage space that tall.

Look at this photo from "The Immunity Syndrome". The Galileo prop was over seven feet tall, and we can just barely see something at the top of the frame that might be the roof, but that's twice the height of the shuttle overhead. Sure, I suppose you could have a 14-foot roof in the under-hangar maintenance bay, but why would you? Volumetric space is at a premium--there's no need to have a under-deck maintenance/storage bay that's much taller than the shuttle itself.

8. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless you wanted to store some other LARGER craft like a cargo shuttle.

9. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The very same. I wonder what the acoustics on the hangar deck would have been like?

11. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

I'm not sure I would presume the side of the ship so easily, since the shuttles have a tendency to spin on their little turntables before launching. I think this episode (the original version anyway) showed this action. If that is correct, it's more likely Spock and McCoy do their conversing and parting on the Port side.

I agree there isn't room, especially being that close to the aft of the ship and the clamshell doors. Also, that object just visible through the door frame doesn't span the entire width of the opening. It seems to cut off just shy of the door's right boundary. Another factor is that they do indeed make use of the ships pressure/airlock systems. If they were in an under-maintenance bay, which I would expect needs to be fully pressurized under routine conditions, why would they need to utilize that system? I'm not saying there is no maintenance or storage facility on the original Enterprise. I can't imagine the ship without one somewhere. But, I agree it is most likely not a huge bay directly under the main landing area, and the Spock/McCoy scene certainly doesn't take place there.

At any rate, given the off-scale proportions of the original models and sets, all of this has to be fudged in order to work. The revamped episodes featuring these subjects appear to be fixing the scale of the shuttles in relation to the bay area at least.

12. Professor Moriarty

Thanks to everyone for their help on this. Here's a little sneak peek of what the photo request was for.

13. USS Mariner

Lovely, except for the Lite-Brite colored buttons and the shuttledeck wall color. I really think using the original tan would look much nicer.

Heck, I just wanna see the full thing at this point.

14. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool image! One comment, though... if the shuttlecraft is named after Walter "Matt" Jefferies, then you might want to change the spelling on the decal. (It's a very common mistake.) :)

15. Professor Moriarty

Oh crap... are you kidding me?! I even Googled it to be sure before I stenciled it onto the hull, but you're right... I still managed to get it wrong. :mad:

EDIT: Fixed... thanks FalTorPan! Better to find that goof now rather than later after having rendered a couple hundred frames for the "Doomsday Machine"! Also, after further consideration I think Mariner Class was right about the wall color and "Lite Brite" colors on the winky-blinky panel... I think these are bit closer to the Trek universe.

16. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Awesome job. I've loved your work up to this point. Glad to see it continues. :D

17. FalTorPan

No problemo, Professor Moriarty. By the way, your work is nothing less than jaw-droppingly cool. I love it, especially...

* the "shiny concrete floor" texture
    * the trim around the pocket doors
    * the lighting!

If you don't mind further criticism, only two things keep the image from feeling "authentically TOSsy:"

1. The typefaces of the "FUELING STATION" and warning label surrounding the shuttlecraft elevator look too much like the standard Windows fonts that they probably are. I recommend searching for (or creating, if you're so inclined) type faces that are more consistent with pre-established ones from TOS and/or the 1960s.

2. The winky-blinky panel still doesn't seem right. The structure of the console looks great, but I would consider reworking the three tiers like so:

* Upper -- something inspired by the engine room panels only seen in "That Which Survives"

* Middle -- Either (a) tan "circuit board" with sparse flashing lights, like one of the wall panels in the engine room, or (b) a large, more square version of an upper-panel display screen from the bridge

* Lower -- The control panel is much more dense with blinkies than any panel in TOS. Try something inspired by the engine room control consoles, control panel, or the bridge helm console

It might also be fun to add a couple of those white engine room "pipe wrenches" from "Space Seed." :)

Just some suggestions. Your work is outstanding.

18. FalTorPan

Since you can't see any hangar bay features (aside from the "turntable ring," which isn't centered between the double doors and the far wall), the only logical explanation is that this set of double doors opens into a very large and totally featureless room -- not the hangar bay as represented by the filming miniature. ;)

19. Professor Moriarty

Oh believe me, I will be tweaking this thing right up until the point where I actually need it for filming, so keep the comments coming. And yes, those fonts are just placeholders right now--I'm still looking for more TOS-era-looking fonts. One of my biggest complaints regarding the current Enterprise model they're using on "Remastered" is the font used on the saucer registry--it's completely wrong. Typefaces are surpisingly one of the biggest things to make or break a CGI model. Don't believe me? The next time you see a model of a contemporary automobile, look at the license plate.

20. USS Mariner

More cream. ;) (Or maybe it's just the lighting. I even think warm, yellow-tinted lights would work just as well.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My question is: What are they using? It isn't even the AMT font. Even Amarillo USAF (which is almost exactly what was used on the model) would be fine.

But, meh.