Peter Weller joins Star Trek Sequel cast

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Hythlodeus, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a difference that doesn't matter. This Trek replaces oldTrek from here on out - until yet another version replaces this one.

Wonder if JJTrek will go on as long as Raimi's Spider-Man, or longer?

2. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

As long as they don't include Venom...

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

The cast signed a three movie deal so there should be one more movie after Trek XII. What will happen after that remains to be scene.

4. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What you mean like they did during TNG "Parallels"? All that gobbledeegook which enables them to tell Worf is from another universe. Quantum signatures or whatever. Spock's Jellyfish (Jesus, did they really call the Phantom Menace wannbe ship that?) is a science vessel. I'm sure he's being bombarded with readouts, based on TNG-era discoveries.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  5. ChristopherPike

Re: Peter Weller joins Star Strek Sequel cast

I'm sure you're a bright lad. You watch Star Trek, so you must be. Don't do yourself down!

It's the act of exiting the lightning storm isn't it? The Narada arrived into another universe at that point. That's isolated him from the Prime Universe, ensuring what follows has no impact on the place he left. The universe doesn't diverge with the attack on the Kelvin. How would that work? That would be altering history in traditional time-travel style. When you travel back within the same universe, the changes made stick (or are pre-destined) and Nero's actions are so radical, they'd alter much of the 23rd Century. We've been assured that hasn't happened. It has to have been another universe from the instant he arrived really. Which to my mind, would suggest it's a place that runs alongside the Prime, like the Mirror universe for instance... and always has done, with its own past. Parallel ones as we know, aren't necessarily identical... see TNG "Parallels" for how subtle or wildly different.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The third film would more than likely turn up around the fall of 2016, even a short television adaptation based off of it could run 3-5 seasons, say 2015-2018?

So really, taking time for the hype for Abrams Trek to die down, I don't see another reboot or major screen intepretation until the early 2020's.

But now that Abrams has opened up the Trek franchise to other interpretations, other smaller material could well pop up, books, games, etc with new spins on the main themes of the old series and films.

Maybe we won't see others pick up on it and take interest right away, but the next few years could be very interesting for Trek in general.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean scanning quatum signatures, like they did in "Parallels"?:vulcan:

If it were a possibility, Spock would have mentioned it. But he, and everyone else, spoke only of time travel.

8. Ranger3

Ranger3 Lieutenant

Alot of those questions are answered in the IDW prequel comic Star Trek - Countdown as well as the one about Nero(after he appeared in the early 23rd Century), while he was imprisoned on Rura Penthe.

The was even a deleted scene from the film, depicting Nero's time on the Klingon Penal Asteroid.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

So far, so good...

I don't disagree with any of this yet...

...but this is where we diverge. It has been said that Nero's time travel created the new timeline/universe. Thus the past of the Abramsverse is the same as the past of the Prime before Nero's arrival. If this new timeline is to be looked at as a previously existing parallel universe, it would be a parallel universe which just so happened to be identical to the Prime before the coming of Nero. But a parallel universe identical to the Prime could just as easily have been the Prime.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I get the feeling, without thinking of anyone in particular, that some people might favor the idea of explaining the physical discrepancies between the nuKelvin and Pike Prime's Enterprise with the idea that the JJverse is just another parallel universe.

Speaking just for myself, I don't really need to do that, or anything remotely like it, to enjoy the film (and like it and own a copy, etc.).

11. Ranger3

Ranger3 Lieutenant

Here's the official explanation for the entire altered timeline angle in the Star Trek prequel reboot. This was in an issue of the Official Star Trek Magazine that I dug up.

When the Narada immediately arrived back in 2233 AD(after the events depicted in the IDW Comics prequel Countdown), it altered history righ then and there, so that Jim Kirk was born on the U.S.S. Kelvin, rather than Iowa. In the new timeline, Amanda Grayson dies during the attack on Vulcan(which of course did not happen in the original timeline), and the friendship between Kirk and Spock starts off slightly different.

So technically, there is no other parallel universe that Nero emerged from. He came from the original timeline in the future, and immediately altered it when he instantly arrived in the past.

12. Set Harth

The time travel which occurs in STXI is not single-timeline. The Prime timeline still exists and is unchanged by Nero's time travel ( other than in the obvious sense that Spock and the crew of the Narada are no longer a part of it ).

13. ChristopherPike

Thanks, Set Harth. Very interesting. IF as seems to be the assumption lately - Khan is in the next film - I have to wonder if Bob Orci will suddenly start backtracking on all that. A universe that is indentical to the Prime one, before the Kelvin came into contact with the Narada, still includes a Khan who left Earth in 1996. So basically everything the same as described in TOS and still adhered to in later spin-offs (which avoided dating the Eugenics Wars by the time ENT rolled around). That restricts the writers as much as a fixed future doesn't it? The minute Khan awakes and a new audience discovers what his beef is, they've got a problem...

14. F. King Daniel

Greg Cox's Eugenics Wars novel trilogy depicts the Eugenics Wars as somewhat of a secret conflict, which only became common knowlege on post-WWIII Earth. Since Bob Orci's a fan of those novels, I imagine they'd explain away Khan's non-existence in "our" 1996 in the same way.

15. Set Harth

If they were to change the backstory of Khan and the Eugenics Wars in order to have it fit better with actual history, I wouldn't see that as backtracking on the basic premise of what happened with Nero, but rather as a localized retcon of some of the original material to account for the fact that the real 1990s didn't conform to the overly "enthusiastic" imaginations of the 1960s writers.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  16. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

17. F. King Daniel

:lol:I never get tired of that picture.

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is great news. I love Peter Weller. I finished the episode "Terra Prime" the other day, and I thought he was just delightfully villainous. Now, I don't know if he's a bad guy in STXII, but as a good guy, he's a badass, and as a bad guy, he's a badass. I can only see good things coming from him being onboard the movie.

19. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Peter Weller as Robo-Cap(tain)!

A Borg...that would be amusing...but oh, no...Borg again! :borg:

20. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

He probably starts out as a good guy if he is an ensign.