Paramount apparently still doesn't get it...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by IRW Bloodwing, Apr 2, 2023.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They know the die-hards will watch anything, make angry social media posts 24/7 and thus increase the show's engagement score.

They want new, young fans to replace the ageing and dying ones they already have. And a show aimed at teens will hopefully do just that.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Eh, TNG humans were Americans in space, too.

3. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very English Americans from France.:lol:

But true.

Greg Cox likes this.
  4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh, years after TNG Patrick Stewart would play the Director of the CIA while using his natural accent, so the term Americans in space can apply to him too.

Ovation and 1001001 like this.
  5. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I did always wonder what they actually did at the academy. I hope there's some lectures and they talk about the incident that happened in the year 3069 which was called ... Anyone? Anyone?... the Burn... and it was caused by ... Anyone? Anyone? what going inert? Dilithium? Dilithium, going inert Which led to the near collapse of? Anyone? The United Federation of Planets.

nightwind1, jos3s and Richard S. Ta like this.
  6. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It’ll be nice to see a Star Trek show in a different context. It'll be nice to see fresh young faces. They could get guest-stars of yore as well, even in a 32nd Century show, by having say: Miles O'Brien, the holo-teacher!

I think the important thing that Paramount 'gets' is that to move the franchise forward and reach new audiences, they have to pander to more than the minuscule proportion of the audience that posts on this BBS.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    jos3s, Anduinel, somebuddyX and 2 others like this.
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This. People often forget how important it is to grow outside of the little niche circle we have built here but Paramount knows that painful reality and has to actively reach out to new audiences or face even further losses.

Paramount doesn't need to "get" anything. It produces a product; the audience decides to participate or not.

That is the nature of the relationship. Nothing more; nothing less.

8. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

But, but, but…the Stuvis. What about the Stuvis? I built the petition and everything. You said I could. I would have won. I would’ve. I would’ve. I would’ve…:weep:

antinoos likes this.
  9. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quick point...O’Brien wasn’t racist.This goddam false hood persists.
    “It’s not you I hate Cardassian,it’s what I became because of you”.
    The man is a traumatized veteran not a racist.

10. Nerys Myk

I look forward to Cadet Bueller’s day off.

nightwind1 and fireproof78 like this.
  11. Nerys Myk

It’s possible yo be both.

SolarisOne and Sci like this.
  12. flandry84

Of course it is possible to be both.
    But the chief is one not the other.
    Watching the clip just now on YT,I read the comments below and someone made the valid point that O’B said..”The man just disintegrated...”.Not ‘the cardie’ or ‘spoonhead’ the man.

Shamrock Holmes and Farscape One like this.
  13. flandry84

Going back to the academy show.I just hope that it’s better than that Tilly and the cadets episode.Geez that one fell out of the cliche tree and hit every branch on the way down.:D

14. fireproof78

I think the Chief was briefly but was able to recognize the source and make his changes. It's one episode that I love as a stark contrast to the sanitized humanity of early TNG. O'Brien grows and changes in the episode; Maxwell recognizes his errors and is willing to at least admit it. It shows that humans have choice in their traumas. And it's beautiful.
    Because naturally the show will be exactly the same as one episode...

...that's just logic...some how.:vulcan:

nightwind1 and Farscape One like this.
  15. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

O’Brien wasn’t a racist…

McCoy, however…

16. flandry84

I said that I hoped the show will be handled better than the episode from which it is apparently emerging from.
    You seem to agree that said episode really wasn’t very good.
    See how ..logical that was?

17. fireproof78

I liked the episode fine. I don't agree that it wasn't very good.

I don't think it is emerging from that episode. I quite expect the Academy series to be completely different from Discovery and take on its own flavoring.

Logic is only as good as information that informs it. We have limited information thus far. My assumptions may be off.

18. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the problem is when "actively reach out" means losing what made a legacy property unique. That's arguably the flip side of dying a niche property; studios believing they need to change things to grow an audience, and they make something so generic as to be forgettable. Anyone can do an action movie that has mass appeal with some science fiction elements thrown in. JJ Abrams did it 4 times with both Star Wars and Star Trek characters. But in all 4 cases, there were elements of those fanbases that felt the "product" was lacking what made those intellectual properties special.

Contrast the idea that you need to re-imagine or re-invent to reach out to new audiences with how Marvel has handled the MCU. I am certain that Kevin Feige was told at some point that only "niche" comic-book geeks would suspend disbelief for a guy dressed like the American flag with a giant "A" on his forehead and a ripped blonde dude with a magic hammer. That they would need to adapt it in some way in order for modern audiences to accept it. But Marvel Studios believed in the strength of their properties and, for the most part, has done the best versions of the material they had. They put a green rage monster next to a guy that shoots arrows really, really good while they fought a purple dude with a magic glove and said deal with it.

They decided to dance with the ones that brung 'em, and went with the plan that thinks if you have a legacy property that people know and you think can make for a good story, then you turn into making the best version of that material and trust that it will find an audience beyond the die hard fans.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  19. fireproof78

Fans always think that. Every single time. This doesn't strike me as a sign of the "wrong direction." It just means that it appeals to fans differently. And I say that if a movie that can appeal to my dad (Long time TOS fan and disinterested in anything post TOS) and my wife (long time nonlover of Science fiction) and my mom (long time hater of all things SF) can sit down and enjoy these films then something is clicking right.

That's not the Star Trek way. Never has been. Might change.

Ovation, Sci and Greg Cox like this.
  20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Without getting sucked into a whole debate, the whole "no money" thing was NEVER established on TOS. The earliest reference to it was a gag in the whale movie. And forget 23rd-century Earth (which we never actually saw on TOS) for a moment; there are plenty of indications that commerce is still a thing out on the Final Frontier.