Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Yminale, Jul 9, 2013.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I thought it made no sense. What disputes are you referring to? Things like custody of children or ownership of property could be resolved without marital status. Just like when non-married people have custody of a child or own a property.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

When you want to see your dying loved one in the hospital and they won't let you because you aren't family, how you ensure you see them? Do you use a gun? Government can't help you with laws, because it's just between the two you, Society doesn't have to honor it

3. DalekJim

Well, I think that has more to do with a preferred reform in hospital visitation rights than marital status.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I really don't think you should be discussing marriage, because you obviously know absolutely nothing about it.

5. Sindatur

Those have Government enforcement, you want Government out of the Contract

6. Sindatur

How does the hospital know you have the right, and how do you enforce it?

7. DalekJim

The government would treat the seperating couple like they were two un-married people, without special favour. I don't understand where the confusion lies.

8. BillJ

There is no "special favor" in divorce. It's often a spectacularly ugly mess.

You are so naive it's unreal. Maybe it's time to put the Libertarian talking points down and do some honest research.

9. DalekJim

I was talking about the special favor in marriage. Seriously, pay more attention. This is the third time now you've gotten upset over something that hasn't even been implied.

10. BillJ

Seriously, try to see a big picture for once in your life. Divorce can be as important to the process of marriage as saying "I do".

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

:lol:

You don't need to be married to "breed."

And, with all due respect, you don't understand the reality of being married and the reality of being in a long term relationship.

Having children is a small aspect of why to get married.

Again, you use the world elitist.

I'm curious. What right or privilege that exists for married couples would you like to take advantage of?

12. DalekJim

If marriage wasn't a legal institution then divorce obviously wouldn't be either for fuck's sake. I mean... I thought that kinda went without saying? If two people aren't legally bound, then they won't need to be legally separated.

13. Sindatur

You took Government out of it, therefore the Government doesn't treat you like anything, it's only between the two of you

14. DalekJim

What? If people aren't married, then they still have ways of dividing up custody of their children and possessions through legal channels.

15. BillJ

:wtf:

Once two people start living together they become legally entangled, more so if children and assets are involved. There still has to be laws that allow for the dissolution of that coupling.

So what does it matter it those laws are under the header of "marriage"?

I really do think this hit it right on the nose...

16. Sindatur

So, then the tougher party just kicks the crap out of the weaker party and takes what they want? Again, you took Government out of it, so, if you want to support your idea, you can't look to Government.

If you look to Government, I ask again, if you take out the tax benefits, and anyone can marry, then what is different about your Government Backed Contract of Union and the Government backed Contract currently called marriage?

17. DalekJim

Well, here we come to our core philosophical difference. I don't think the government should handle the joining and dissolution of sexual partners. I don't see why there has to be a law there. Have laws for child custody, for property ownership, for whatever other issue you'd LIKELY name but don't get involved with the union and dissolution of couples. That's what I'd like.

Well, I think you've been paying absolutely zero attention if you feel that way and I see no reason to engage you in further discussion if you're just going to sling irrelevant abuse and allegations my way.

18. Sindatur

Legal channels are Government, you took Government out of it

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

You mean like the government?

20. BillJ

Which shows how little you really know. Marriage is about far more than "sexual partners".