Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Yminale, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/09/scott-orson-card-gay-marriage_n_3566122.html

For more info on the boycott
    http://skipendersgame.com/

2. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

gay marriage being ok'd doesn't stop a homophobic douchebag being homophobic, and won't stop me boycotting that film.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Political Issue that didn't exist in 1984?

Huh? I've been Gay since before 1984, and Gay Marriage was still not legal then, and no Same Sex Couples benefits were granted.

I think what he meant to say was, there wasn't enough support in 1984 for Equal Rights for us, but, it still was a Political issue and every bit the problem it is now.

So, no, saying "no one would've boycotted in 1984 because there wasn't enough understanding of how wrong the inequality was back then", doesn't give you a pass.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I try to separate the views from the person. It might still make me at the person, but I can still appreciate the person's talent, so long as their views are not propagated heavily in their works. I guess, from what I hear, the story of Ender's Game does little to propagate his asinine views on the gay issue. I liked his novelization of The Abyss, and it was and will continue to be one of my favorite SF books. None of his politics were in that book. And I hear that the film was not made with his collaboration and nor would he be getting more than the very basic compensation that a writer would get.

By contrast, I'm not for religious films, and I wasn't a huge fan of the not-so-subtle religious message of the first Narnia film.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

His political views don't affect me in the slightest. If a movie looks good, I'll watch it. If it looks like shit, I won't.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Nothing stops a boycott quite like giving it more attention in the press, using the old "I am rubber, you are glue" gambit to accuse the boycotters of not tolerating intolerance, and reminding everyone of what a bigoted douchenozzle you are.

I doubt this boycott is going to be hugely effective, but I do kind of feel bad for the other people involved who just wanted to make a cool scifi film without being dragged down by this asshole's reputation. In the case of the Superman Anthology comic, people were simply asking for his segment to be removed beforehand, so it didn't harm the other participants. I mean, they knew what they were getting into by signing a deal with him, I guess, but I do feel a little bad for the other non-homophobic people involved in making the movie.

7. Yminale

I don't know if you can do that here. Orson Scott Card is so closely associated with "Ender's Game" that promoting one will inevitably promote the other.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I never even knew he had views until people here started bitching about them.

9. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

well thats your problem for not knowing, not ours.

and complaining about homophobia ''bitching''? :wtf:

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I just don't really care much about the personal lives of people I don't know. I read his book. I liked his book. Beyond that, I don't really care about him.

11. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll be seeing it because Ender's Game is one of the best sci-fi novels of the past 40 years and I've long been curious how a film of the material would be.

If I only experienced art from people I politically agreed with, then I'd be severely limiting myself.

12. Yminale

Well that's the point of the boycott. It's not that Card has and alternative opinion you disagree with. Things he said were VILE and the only thing missing was that he didn't demand gays be stoned to death.

13. Yminale

Call me a Leftist Marxist but Art in some sense political and I don't find films from people I outright disagree with enjoyable (*cough* Michael Bay *cough*)

14. DalekJim

I think you're limiting yourself for no real reason. I can enjoy films from Russian communist filmmakers or even a Nazi director like Leni Reifenstahl. I can listen to Wagner, Burzum, etc.

I worry sometimes modern liberalism makes a virtue of being offended. I assure you that Ender's Game has nothing to do with homosexuality.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yes, because modern conservatives never take offense at anything.

16. DalekJim

I don't understand what you're getting at here?

I think there's a danger of developing a closed mind, consciousness and idea-space if people only encounter art from those who they agree with on every issue.

Not that I remotely understand how disagreeing with an author's view on marriage legislation would lead somebody to boycott a film adaptation of their work.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Your statement

Making a virtue of being offended is hard a trait exclusive to liberals.

18. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never had any reason to read his books, or see movie versions thereof. And now, I have even less.

19. DalekJim

It isn't, but it seems like a political ideology that elevates sensitivity in to being a competition, which is something I find unsettling in its insincerity.

Well, you're missing out on an excellent novel.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I'll be sitting this one out. I can easily enjoy pieces of art from those with differing political perspectives, but Card out and out spews hate at the gay community and I'm not going to help line his pockets.