Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Yminale, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? They only get me as far as clammy... What's your secret?

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't have sex in swamps anymore, period. Too yucky.

3. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Gay crocodiles. Lots of them.

4. Guy Gardener

Swampthing fell in love with Heather Locklear in Swampthing II in a swamp.

5. Lt. Uhura-Brown

Lt. Uhura-Brown Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Then "please don't be a bigot".

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I prefer his scene with Adrienne Barbeau in the first one.

7. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

I prefer any scene in any movie with Adrienne Barbeau! :drool:

8. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT!!! :eek:

...and I'm in between about this. I loathe Card's opinions but it wouldn't categorically stop me from seeing the movie. I might go on $5 Tuesdays so they get less lol.

And of course anyone can go see it as they like, or not... it's called freedom of choice, and in this regard it still exists.

9. Guy Gardener

I have the Nazi made Titanic movie on my hard drive.

No plans to watch it, but it seems like something I should have on hand for just in case.

10. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw a documentary about it, but have never seen it...

11. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the concept of marriage means so many different things to so many people that it doesn't even count as a rights issue. I believe that gays have the same basic rights as every other human being. I just don't think any human particularly has the moral right to be married. The very concept of marriage strikes me as unbalanced and unfair in regard to the society at large. It's a government bonus for good behaviour.

Human beings have the right to be safe, the right to privacy and the right to freedom but they don't have the right to be married. It's a privilege, not a right.

12. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

A ridiculously unfair one. Nothing is actually happening when two people say they're married; it's people in a romantic relationship having a hullabaloo ritual/ceremony and then suddenly be given new titles. And yet by doing that, they get privileges and benefits others don't have in terms of taxes, insurance, hospital rights, and tons of other things that are completely and utterly unfair to give to two people just because they're living together and are romantic as opposed to living together and are platonic or indeed, are living together and are romantic but haven't done the silly ceremony or given themselves new titles to describe the person they're in a relationship with.

I have absolutely no problem with any group of people, gay, straight, two, more than two, who want to go through a ceremony and suddenly declare themselves "married." I absolutely do have a problem with the government recognizing it and therefore, treating them differently to non-married people. If these insane privileges weren't given out, there wouldn't be a gay marriage because any gay couple could have their own ceremony, declare themselves married and no one would give a shit. It only matters because the government genuinely treats marriage as a more beneficial status quo than non-marriage. Sickening.

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Nonsense. Maybe you don't think marriage should involve government benefits, but it does, it always will, and it's not just about the government rewarding "good behavior." So no, gays don't have the same basic rights as everyone else, and I'm not even bringing up issues not purely involving marriage such as hospital visitation, adoption, etc.

It's very convenient to decide that government shouldn't have a role in marriage only at the moment that another group wants equal access to it and the benefits it brings.

14. DalekJim

Gays have been wanting the right to marry since before I was even born. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Yup. The government should have absolutely nothing to do with it, it's not a legal issue. Gays wouldn't even have acted like this in the first place if straight couples didn't get an elitist privilege. I do think a better move towards equality would be for the government's involvement in marriage to be abolished, rather than gays getting a "right" that should never have been around in the first place. Gay marriage is in no way a "progressive" outlook, it's archaic. It's further contributing to the most conservative ideology possible regarding human relationships.

15. Lt. Uhura-Brown

Lt. Uhura-Brown Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I feel that marriage is more than just government "bonus".

What about hospital visitation rights and other next-of-kin issues?

Being able to legally declare someone as a life partner as opposed to "random stranger X" should be a right?

16. Locutus of Bored

Typical DancingJim sidestep instead of addressing the point.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl8ajhu_e5Y[/yt]

17. Nagisa Furukawa

It's a bit early to say it "always will," I'd say.

Well, it's hardly the "same basic rights as everyone else" if non-married people don't get the same hospital visitation, adoption, etc. rights, is it?

Oh, nonsense, this is a basic libertarian, the-government-shouldn't-be-involved-in-private-life view. Try not to see ulterior, suspicious motives around every corner. I have the exact same views on the government and marriage, have had since I was 15, and am bi-sexual. For myself, and I believe DalekJim (though I'm not a telepath so maybe he's fooling me too!), our opinion on this issue is not some "convenient" front to hide us trying to prevent another group from equal access.

18. Nagisa Furukawa

But that's exactly what we're discussing, when we mention government giving "bonuses" to people married as opposed to non-married people. I think hospital visitation rights should be a case-to-case basis and should be able to set up an arrangement with the hospital that when sick, I can be visited by whomever I want, whether it be my platonic best friend or my favorite uncle who raised me like a father or indeed, a boyfriend or a girlfriend. Getting married shouldn't give you privileges and benefits that single and romantic-but-not-married people don't have. It's a ceremony and a title exchange; it's not the government's business.

19. DalekJim

The homophobia claim was typical liberal rhetoric. As if I'd be cool with gays fucking eachother in the streets (As I see sex as something else the government should stay out of!), yet want to deny them the right of marriage just to spite them.

Absolutely ridiculous assertion.

Obama's legacy ;).

20. Locutus of Bored

It was your doppelganger DJ who brought up the erroneous claim that gays have the same rights as everyone else, and I was quoting him before bringing up other issues.

Oh, this is a treat. We get to observe the One Trick Pony here in its natural habitat of the message board. Notice his repetitive high-pitched whine about liberals, and the way he cowers behind the stronger male of the herd and lets him deal with trouble.

Who said anything about homophobia? I was talking more about the selfishness of deciding that marriage should not involve government now when it has done so for more than a century. How is that fair to the last major group denied its benefits?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013