Original TOS on HD-DVD?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Charles Trip Tucker III, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I never noticed any errors, could you explain?

2. NCC621

NCC621 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There are some minor differences. They probably are mistakes, but hardly anything I would call serious. Certainly nothing that detracts from my enjoyment of the episodes, and nothing that will keep me from getting them on HD-DVD.

3. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 2 music in Season 1. Torpedo sound effects added in for the originally soundless Balance of Terror, etc.

I never noticed that when I first watched the DVD transfers, but those are really stupid "fixes."

4. Oso Blanco

Season 2 music in season 1? Are you talking about the opening theme or the music within the actual episode?

I once heard the rumor that on the first "Two-episodes-per-DVD" edition the opening theme was the same over all three seasons, but that's not the case with the season box sets.

5. Utopianvista

Utopianvista Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Isn't HD-DVD dead by now?

I seriously have no idea why they are wasting their time releasing it on a dying format. Combo discs are the worst because they are always more expensive and rip off the consumer.

Hold out of the Blu-Ray release.

6. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds, like a good idea to me. :D

7. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Mehhh.......Im happy to just watch the occasional rerun, new effects or not, edited or not. Its just not worth buying these at a premium, the price goes down and than a new medium comes out. I dont think HD is really that much of an improvement to rebuy these (new effects or not) When there is a higher jump in the quality of the medium its stored on I may buy them one day. Current dvds and HD dvds are to large anyways and prone to scratching. I would love to see a much smaller medium one day, which Im sure is not to far off in the horizon.

8. Charles Trip Tucker III

Charles Trip Tucker III Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All my DVD's are in great shape. The only issue I have with is keeping them finger print free. Fortunately, all one needs is a smooth, lint-free cloth to whipe them off. :)

9. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure:

The Menagerie Part II: The music for every act fade in has been replaced. Most are from the Fred Steiner re-recordings put out in the 80's. One, going into the first act, has music from The Doomsday Machine

The Deadly Years: Spock and Stocker talk about holding a hearing for Kirk and as Spock walks out, the "teaster" music from Doomsday Machine is thrown on for no reason.

The Enterprise rumble which was heard in most of the first season is now on every episode.

Balance of Terror: they added torpedo sounds to the sfx where they were silent previously.

The Cage: The laser cannon and pistol sound effects go from loud to soft and back. It's annoying as hell.

The Enemy Within: this one is visual - they took the opening shots of the plant, which were "flopped", and flopped them back.

The bridge sound effects have been altered to sound "surround."

Another visual: The end credits for Requiem for Methuselah spells Rayna's name as "Reena." The VHS / LD prints show the correct spelling.

The opening theme for the first third of the series had the "electronic violin" sound (like in WNMHGB), but it should have been the first AIRED third of the season, not production. The DVD sets give the impression they alternated form time to time. When the original DVDs came out in production order, it was continuous. And, the DVDs never restored the end theme music to that same arrangement. Every episodes end theme sounds like the Steiner arrangement. TO be fair, Paramount did that when they took all of the first season eps (aside from WNMHGB) and standardized the theme ack in the 80's.

Now, I realize a lot of this is pretty nitpicky, but as a Trek geek who pretty much grew up listening to audio tapes of the episodes between syndicated showings, the sound mix is as important as anything else in the show.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

How can you have been on this site, and looked at the TOS thread this long and still not understood that the episodes were remastered FOR HDTV. The originals will not ever be on HDTV because they would look like crap in that resolution.

RAMA

11. Commander Dan

Commander Dan Lieutenant Red Shirt

Last I heard the release will be HD-DVD only. That's not to say a Blu-ray release won't be forthcoming, but as of yet, there has been no word on a Blu-ray release.

12. NCC621

NCC621 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, there are differences in the soundtracks. No, they're not significant to me. Maybe to some. Me, I'm mainly amused that some people think that obsessive complaining about minutiae somehow confers some sort of superiority.

13. Oso Blanco

I had no idea about that! Any ideas why all those changes had been made? What about the UK VHS edition that came out about ten years ago? They had three episode and an intdoduction by the actors each. Strangely enough, "The Changeling" appeared there in its cut (syndicated) version. But what about the soundtrack?

14. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as the sound effects (I forgot one - Paradise Syndrome, when Kirk gets zapped, they added the repeating sound of the Enterprise doors opening!), I suppose to updated them to take advantage of the home theaters a lot of people have. The music substitutions? I have no idea. Unlike shows which use songs, the background score should have no reason to be tampered with unless something went wrong with the masters.

Sorry, no clue about the UK vids. But since they were probably not remastered again at that point, I'll assume the sound mix was probably untouched.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

UK censorship is different to US, but possibly the version they used was incorrectly marked as uncut on its canister. One of the US twinpack DVDs had a similar problem with a brief Chapel/McCoy scene in a different episode, which was fixed for the US boxed set release.

16. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Paramount's apparently signed on to Blu-Ray... though, right now, I would be happy with regular DVD.. and it would still make more financial sense for Paramount/CBS to release it that way.

17. PowderedToastMan

PowderedToastMan Commodore Commodore

paramount is signed on to blu ray, but CBS is not. The release is coming from the new CBS Home Entertainment (although Paramount Home Ent may handle distribution). As of now they have not confirmed if it will come on Blu Ray

18. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Gods I hate these format battles... and these insane entertainment mergers. It makes me head hurt, it does.

Well, screw it. I'm buying at BetaMax!

19. Oso Blanco

I knew there was a reason to keep the old videos. I'll have to compare them to the DVDs when I can make the time.

20. Oso Blanco

One more reason to wait until the battle has been fought. Who is to say that either HD or BluRay will be the final format anyway? Maybe they will disappear just like LD and CDi did.

I have all the trek series' and movies on standard DVD, so I can lay back and wait. I'd never buy anything with newly added special effects, anyway. And even IF it was to be released without new FX, I wouldn't buy it again anytime soon. I just don't have the money to re-buy my entire Trek collection every few years. Not to mention that HD/BluRay players and HD TV sets aren't exactly cheap, either.

EDIT: Hey, this post made me Fleet Captain! Considering that it took me six years, it'll probably as far as I'll ever get ... :D