Orci's ST3 or Beyond?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Aug 2, 2016.

?

Orci or Beyond

1. Orcis ST3

6 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Beyond

57 vote(s)
    90.5%
  1. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Though part of me, a mean part, would chuckle if they try and fail to restore the Prime timeline in this, if only for the grief it would cause with the folks who can't get it through their heads that the reboot was necessary.

2. NCC-1967

NCC-1967 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm still waiting on your 2 cents on the matter, by the way

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Apparently the rules were a bit different back then, and Ellison maintains some control over the Guardian of Forever.

jamestyler likes this.
  4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm actually sort of surprised he never went full Kevin McClory over it.

5. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Um... Yes?

Why wouldn't all of those things be possibilities?

Not to mention alternate universe George, cloned George, George who was secretly captured by something or other offscreen, alien impersonating george, or a time travel story which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with 'resetting' the universe (maybe even a story where George travels to the future, rather than Jim traveling to the past).

All of these things have been done in Trek plenty of times.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  6. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Oooh, I like this! My mind races with all the possibilities. Imagine two competing Trek movies in the same year like they had in 1983. Who could have played the other crew? This needs its own thread!

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

If ST 4 is the last movie--do Orci's story. Maybe direct to video released only as a future Kelvin timeline pproject is shelved.

8. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Indeed! I'm not 100% on the rules but I'm reasonaly (almost) sure Doctor Who still faces similar problems using the Daleks.

OpenMaw likes this.
  9. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's... It's not that bad off just yet. A big budget blockbuster slightly under performed during a year of general under-performance.

BillJ likes this.
  10. Captain of the USS Averof

Yup. They are owned and are used under permission by/of the Terry Nation Estate.

jamestyler likes this.
  11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it was rejected for a reason.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's also no chance on any planet of this cast doing a straight to video movie

Ovation likes this.
  13. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Exactly. It sounded crap. Reasonable fodder for trek fans but a total turn off for general audiences. That being said I thought beyond was the opposite of that and that's crashed if not completely burned.

14. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm intrigued with Roberto Orci's pitch and don't necessarily agree it ends in the Kelvin timeline being undone. A story that tempts both Kirk and Spock with the prospect of having their pain taken away, has dramatic potential for sure. One is in favour. The other, despite standing to regain a whole civilisation, being against. Events conspire to put McCoy in the command decision maker (Kirk usually occupies in the triad), to end the feud between his friends. Whether going behind their backs during some key scenes, or a sudden act of sacrifice in the climax.

Then you've either arrived at the final act, where the future is much better off than it was. Or else you're in the middle act in an even worse situation, and the Enterprise crew really didn't recognise when they were actually well-off.

In-between the story has again managed to offer something for everybody who ever loved Star Trek. Beyond turned out great and fuck knows why it didn't do great box office. But yeah, if those were Orci's broad strokes, that's plenty TOS-ish right there... riffing off the greek tragedy of "City on the Edge..." It could've been a better 50th Anniversary celebration with a huge call-back to Star Trek 2009 and the Prime Universe, either way it might've ended.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Shatinator likes this.
  15. Captain of the USS Averof

No way Abrams and/or Orci and/or Kurtzman will do a Trek movie with less than $150 million budget.

16. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

No way a Trek film gets made with a budget below that. Not anymore.