Orci strikes back

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mountie1988, Sep 6, 2013.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Public forums, you don't get to say that everyone has to play the game your way. If you don't want to back up your opinion one can force you. However, people have the equal right to tear into it, and you can't force them to not to do so. When you slam something for something the rest of the franchise has done for decades, people are going to call BS and they're going to counter it and push for you to back your opinion.

You set the level of engagement, the same as the rest of us do. If you don't like defending your opinion, then don't.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I loved several parts of Star Trek Into Darkness very much. But I refuse to be specific about why I loved them or what they were.

3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

And...?

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Strong building blocks for a great discussion! :p

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yep, this is a discussion board. If you post something, be it negative or positive, it will be discussed. Participation in that discussion is up to you.

6. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

If Gene were alive, he would mandate that in the future humanity no longer needs 'discussions'. It would be as unnecessary as gold, and the Columbia House Record and Tape Club.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, everyone would be naked.

8. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Well, that goes without saying.

Although I do miss being able to get a hundred albums for a nickel...

9. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Orci should have to put up with some criticism after all he can dish it out. But he doesn't have to put up with verbal abuse or personal attacks if thats what was happening.
    he should be as protected from personal attacks as we are here on this or any other well moderated board.

A celebrity in my country nearly took desperate measures when she was constantly attacked on her (I think) twitter account. People were telling her to kill herself and to die when she hadn't done anything criminally or morally wrong. Just (perhaps foolishly) revealed too much of her inner self.

And now Orci doesn't have to put up with it as he is no longer interacting with the fans. Who suffers now - not him. The people who were enjoying the tweets and posts.

10. Yorkshire Niner

Yorkshire Niner Captain Captain

Conscientious objector?

Why? Range, variety and depth are not necessarily negative things for a fictional universe.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Eventually this is what always happens. The last resort when someone doesn't like a piece of entertainment is dissecting that opinion down to the tiniest level. It's an attempt of turning an opinion into something objective, which is a fallacy in itself.

Nitpicks are a symptom, not the cause, guys. When you see a movie, you either like the overall package or you dislike it.

So that whole "you must hold everything to the same standard" is absolute bullshit. Because there is no standard. The standard is at best "I liked it, so I overlook some flaws here and there" and "I disliked it, so I see flaws everywhere."

So stop that objectively scrutinizing bullshit. If that's your last straw in an argument to "defend" a film, just stop it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  12. BillJ

Then, perhaps, it would be a good idea to quit dealing bullshit?

13. BillJ

There's a point where you move so far away from the core of a work that you lose what made it special to begin with.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Well...YEAH, that's why there would be no need for discussion ;)

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I nitpick and dissect stuff even if I like it. I want to know why I liked it. Personally, if my response is as simplistic as "I liked it" or "I don't like it", then I view that as a sign of a very shallow product. It has to hold up beyond the paint--to use a term--and have some substance. So if I like it, I'm going to go deeper into the "why" is to see if I really do like it or if I'm just impressed with the paint job.

And, yes, I hold all products to the same standard. Be it Star Trek, be it Star wars, be it Transformers, be it Macross. If the original/older stuff gets a pass on some of the idiocy that afflicts them, the newer stuff gets a pass on the same failings.

16. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I never said, implicitly or explicitly, that Orci must live with death threats. Suggesting otherwise is a gross exaggeration.

17. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

No I wasn't saying he even had death threats or even close (at least I hope not). My example was what happen to one celebrity when her fans/anti-fans got out of hand.

I didn't mean to say or imply that anyone here would sanction that sort of behaviour. I apologise if anyone took it that way - it was not my intention.