Online tool to conveniently search through the Star Trek transcripts

Re: Online tool to conveniently search through the Star Trek transcrip

This is very handy. I often do a Google search of Chakoteya's transcripts for dialogue, but it can be inconvenient. This tool looks like it could be very useful.

One glitch, though: It doesn't seem to list different series in chronological order relative to each other. When I looked up "Andorian," the series were listed in the order DS9, TNG, VOY, TOS, Movies, TAS, ENT. Looking up "James T. Kirk" spoken by Kirk also gives a list with the movies between TOS and TAS.

Another potential issue that occurs to me is that the transcripts on Chakoteya's site tend to use British spellings, and sometimes don't use accurate spellings for alien terms or names. So some results will occasionally be missed because the searcher hasn't anticipated the site's spelling choices. I'm not sure there's a way to program the search engine to deal with those issues, though. (Do people still say "program?")

There's also the fact that Chakoteya's page is missing an Into Darkness transcript, but I suppose that's something to take up with her.

Regarding order, if you go with TOS TNG DS9 VOY ENT, it'll both go with general familiarity and with series order (TOS and TNG might be interchangeable, but it wouldn't be controversial to list TOS first). Obviously, TAS is a bit more complicated. With familiarity, it's last. With chronology, it's second. The movies also complicate things. But I think that rough order for the main shows is the best way.

This recent article points out that, to the new generation of fans, all the Trek series are equally accessible through online streaming. Go to the Netflix page for, say, TOS, TNG, VGR, or ENT (though not DS9, for some reason), scroll down to the "More Like X" section at the bottom, and TAS is right there in plain view (even though TOS isn't!). TAS is also treated equally to the other series on Memory Alpha and on StarTrek.com's database. So I'm not sure that differential in familiarity is all that big an issue these days. The Internet has made all of Trek available at a moment's notice.

Besides, "familiarity" is a subjective assessment. How do you measure it? Unless you've taken actual surveys to determine what series are more familiar with the general public, you're just imposing your own assumptions on the data. A chronological ordering would be more objective.

Equal accessibility and being treated as canon on a website don't mean they're all valued equally. I agree that chronological order (while having the TOS movies together before TNG) is ideal, though.

Equal accessibility and being treated as canon on a website don't mean they're all valued equally.

Valued by whom, though? That's exactly what I mean about it being a subjective judgment. What one fan values, another fan will dismiss or despise. And the whole point of the article I linked to is that the newer generation of fans doesn't have the same experiences of Trek that the older generation had, and thus doesn't necessarily "value" the shows in the same proportion. Value judgments are editorializing, and they have no place in a reference source. The job of a reference is simply to provide information, not to try to tell people how they should feel about it. That's something they have a right to decide for themselves.

Check it out at http://scriptsearch.dxdy.name

In short, it allows you to search chakoteya.net's transcripts by lines, locations, speakers, the people present and much more!

Why is this better than using a normal search engine?
fa69ivp.png

• Only the results that precisely match what you’re looking for are displayed.
  • The full line plus its immediate context is displayed, saving you the trouble of having to go on each and every page to find out how a sentence ends. Instead, you can simply have a look at the results and then decide to go to the relevant transcripts for further context.
  • The results are displayed in the same order their episodes aired. That way, you won’t have to manually re-order them if you’re interested in how a character’s views developed over time.
  • You can restrict your search to specific shows or episodes.

So far, I've used it to research how a certain subject is portrayed, or how a character's view on a subject evolved over time. The ability to separate results by author also allows for a convenient analysis on how two character's takes on the same philosophy might differ. Also, it's handy to simply find long-forgotten scenes like that scene where Vash, Picard and Q were discussing in the ready room. Giving the tool that information will quickly point you to the scene in question.

If you've got any suggestions for improvement, be sure to let me know.

dxdydxdy
This tool you've created is outstanding, thank you so much.
I was using it a few months ago, then it suddenly stopped. It fails to connect to the site or server, do you know why or how I can connect to use it again please?

dxdydxdy
This tool you've created is outstanding, thank you so much.
I was using it a few months ago, then it suddenly stopped. It fails to connect to the site or server, do you know why or how I can connect to use it again please?
I don't think @dxdydxdy is still an active member here.

Kor

Since dxdy's long time search engine is down, I thought I'd share my dump of Star Trek transcripts and some example commands for searching them: [Link Removed]

Though actually searching those transcripts requires some command line familiarity, so it's far less accessible. I loved dxdy's online tool and am sad to see it's gone. Though I can empathize with the pains of maintaining a service like that for many years. I might try to put together a much easier to use web interface for Star Trek script searching in the future.

Moderator Action - Link removed because it appears the work was obtained without permission

Last edited by a moderator:
@okonaisthefather
I don't recall you asking if you could take all my Trek work and post it on GitHub for any one to download. Or perhaps you did but I don't know your name?

At least dxdy approached me first for permission to use the site for his proof of concept.
I removed the link based on this post.

okonaisthefather, if you disagree with this action, please PM me. If you are not able to do that yet, please either post in this thread and I'll sort it out from there.

Back