On-Screen Documents

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Mar 6, 2014.

1. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

"Some officers have had a difficult time dealing with the fact that she is a genetically perfect being. On her planet, Ilyria, excellence is the only criterion that is accepted. She is technically designated as being the best of her breed for the year she was born."

"I see. She therefore would receive the appellation 'Number One' even if she were not the executive officer."

"You have it."

That backstory for Number One is from Vulcan's Glory--the one Star Trek novel that was written by D.C. Fontana.

2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A character like that cries out for better casting.

3. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, you don't really cast novels. And after Dorothy wrote her novel in 1988, it would have been a challenge to go back to 1964 to recast the character for "The Cage" with an actress more in line with what the novelist envisioned for the character.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

In a word: ick.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Besides, I never understood all the "mystery" surrounding Pike's Number One. The creation of Will Riker explained the concept of "Number One" to my satisfaction. If TOS had continued with The Cage cast, we'd probably (although maybe not since 60's TV did things a little differently) have learned her name at some point.

6. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What is a genetically perfect being?

No mutations?

Wings plus fins and seeing the whole spectrum?

Lame.

7. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    "Normal human beings have 40 DNA memo groups. This has 200,000 memo groups."

Well-played, good sir!

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a picture of Milla Jovovich on the wall of my favorite NYC deli. I wonder if, when she handed the checkout clerk her ticket, she said "Mul-ti-pass"....

9. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Agreed, unless we're expected to believe that "Riker" was just Picard's XO's nickname or something.

10. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A character like that is like trying to cast Helen of Troy, the most stunning and irresistible woman in the whole world. Aside from trying to find such a performer, notions of perfection vary from one viewer to another.

I also don't see a "genetically perfect" character fitting into the future history of Star Trek with a Eugenics War in its past. But having a "genetically perfect" character who is not all she's intended to be would be a good sounding board for writers. (Gee, sounds like Spock.) The audience is made up of imperfect humans, after all.

11. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

Which deli, where?

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Katz's, on Ludlow & Houston

13. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

Oh, yeah, I've been there. Love their reubens, not so much on the cheesecake.

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Going through Starfleet Academy, all cadets are given "cute" nicknames by the upper classpersons. These nicknames sometime follow officers for years after graduation, often used behind their backs by junior officers and the crew.

The future first officer's Academy nickname was "Urine."

Pike disliked the nickname and declared that her new nickname would be "Number One."

:)

15. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Captain Captain

:barf:^^^

Well, that can explain the "James R. Kirk" too.

16. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Seriously, I vaguely remember (probably a fanon or comic book source) that the "R." stood for "Rice" and supposedly was an academy nickname at the expense of Kirk (one of the two Garys could probably confirm this ;)).

Bob

17. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

It wouldn't surprise me. Apparently Gene had a thing for giving his characters the middle name "Rice". That's how Captain Paul Rice got his name (Arsenal of Freedom).

18. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The title character of Roddenberry's The Lieutenant was "William Tiberius Rice".

19. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

:wtf: You got to be...hold on...oh my goodness, you are correct.

And the character of William Tiberius Rice was played by Gary Lockwood (aka Gary Mitchell) :eek:

So former William Tiberius Rice putting an "R." on Kirk's tombstone in WNM was either a deliberate inside joke or Gene Roddenberry hadn't made up his mind, yet, whether Kirk's middle name should be "Tiberius" or "Rice".

Good thing he didn't name his character William Kirk. :lol:

Bob

P.S. And I learned something new today.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe he was born James Rice Kirk and hating that name changed it to James Tiberius Kirk when he was able. So while being known an James T Kirk to everyone, Mitchell put James R Kirk on the gravestone just to antagonize him. There canon solved!