On Board the Enterprise-D

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Pretty much my take too. :bolian: This sounds like something that might be good for a newbie dipping their toes in the water of TNG for the first time (thanks to the BDs?), but... the 1701-D has been covered in so much detail already, and it's all just a little ho-hum to me now.

2. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Recreating in CGI only what we've seen before and existed in real life is unforgivable. We had this with the Interactive Technical Manual -- the exam same sets -- because they had real photography of the actual sets. Now they are doing the same thing with CGI replicas. Why? Use CGI to show us what we didn't see and what didn't exist. The main shuttlebay, Cetacean Ops, the malls and lounges that Probert envisioned, etc.

3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My question stemmed from the fact that it would make sense that CBS (or possibly Paramount) would still own the rights to the original photographs of the sets that were used to composite into the panoramas and also the original photographs (assuming they were saved, which it makes sense that they would be) would have a much higher resolution than the scaled down files released on the Tech Manual.

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Just went thru the CD. Took about 5 minutes. Pft.

5. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

HD. I'm pretty sure those panoramas from the 90s were low-res quicktime.

Someone seriously needs to get on a full open-ended Ent-D like what we were teased with for Star Trek:Online.

6. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Low-res real sets versus high-res fake sets... Doesn't really count as new content, does it?

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I DID enjoy the look at the Enterprise on CD-ROM...butttt I would have enjoyed seeing some of the ST:Online sets we never saw...I think that fit's within it's purview.

I still think this book makes a great starter for your children who may just be getting into the STNG blurays!

RAMA

8. Squiggy

No, but we're living in a world where SD content is going away forever. In you want to see the D today, it's going to have to be HD cgi since the sets are long gone.

9. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Yes, that would have been nice and interesting. What are the chances for such a more insightful manual, now that a superficial version has become available?

Bob

10. Squiggy

Depends on how much money this and Remastered makes.

11. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^ Everything said here. Exactly.

12. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anybody remember the old "The Captain's Chair" CD-ROM from the nineties? That was awesome, I'd love to see an updated version of something like that. :bolian:

13. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You bet. The Captain's Chair. Interactive Tech Manual. Plus the VOY Elite Forces games, with the modded ships interiors. All that stuff.

I have all the originals, but can you imagine those same things updated with today's tech? We really should be able to free-explore all the Enterprises, checking out the Main Shuttlebay and all levels of engineering and God knows what else.

Instead... re-hash.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The Ent-D Interactive Tech. Manual was awesome. Hell, I'd pay to have a modern-day version of that.