Officially no series 8 in 2013

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This.

And this.

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but BBC America has March 30 as the start date for 7b.

First commercial I've seen, but I haven't had the TV on a lot lately.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Space has also confirmed March 30.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Don't think the BBC has confirmed it yet, but Easter Saturday would fit in with some previous seasons.

5. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

The BBC confirmed March 30 as the BBC One return date last week, probably to give fandom something to discuss other than the revelation the day before that none of series 8 would air this year.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Must have missed that announcement.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure that is unheard of for British tv actors, everything I've seen/read indicates they put in long days.

Can I third this? ;)

8. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah - I don't get where the British actors don't do long days comes from. There are a few times in The Writers Tale where RTD mentions the long hours the actors and production staff are doing.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Just going by what other Brits have said in this Forum, that, that is one of the reasons it takes longer for British Productions, because they don't do the overtime :shrug:My apologies if it's not so afterall.

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Not that they don't work overtime, there's just legal limits on how many hours people are allowed to do. Also it's down to budgets too, for the most part British productions can't afford to thrown another production crew on it or a pay the overtime on a production that's overrunning. It was one of the things Hugh Laurie said he was amazed at on House.

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I've done quite a few 16 hour days (usually on location) in various capacities on various productions. Pretty much the only people who aren't allowed to work that long of a day here in the US are the kids.

12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a friend who's a sound recordist (worked on Waking the Dead and so) and she's often done 14 hour days (come to that, I've done 14 hour days, with another four on the commute home, for two or three days on the trot when coming up to deadline).
    So really, the Brits don't do the overtime thing doesn't hold water: the legal limit that Sindatur mentions is a 48 hour-a-week limit under EU law, and Britain has an opt-out - so you can work longer if you sign an agreement saying you agree to do so. You just can't be forced to do so).
    In any case, it wouldn't change the central point: there are so many hours that Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise can work and still learn their lines and get enough sleep to remember their lines.
    That's the constraint that makes it difficult to make more than 14-ish episodes a year without changing the whole approach of the series, and turning it into 'Doctor Who and his team of six chums'.
    It doesn't explain why they aren't still making 13/14 episodes a year as they used to do. That's down to other constraints.. budget planning constraints.

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I thought they were still keeping to the nine porduction schedule, they're just breaking up the airing of the show.

14. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not quite: the airing of the show depends on part on when they shot it, and the shooting of the 2012-13 season was (reportedly) pushed back so that half the funding came from Financial Year 2011/12, and the other half from FY 12/13. Half as much per FY.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yeah, they're basically trying to keep the budget up by spreading it over two years. Or by making half as many episodes for each year...

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like we will have a Christmas special

From Radio Times:

17. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Hope it's How the Daleks Stole Christmas.

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The timing of that means series 8 (or 8a if it's still split, though there's no reason for that ATM) would be starting at Easter 2014

19. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is very vague and interesting that the BBC could officially announce 2014 series for a bunch of other shows this week but not DW.

I really do suspect now that they're waiting on Matt Smith to sign a contract for another full series (or not) before they decide exactly what they're going to do.

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

No surprise there, S7 is Matt Smith's 3rd Series, so, it wouldn't be a surprise at all, if his tenure is nearing it's end. I'd love to see him stay longer, but, not many have stayed beyond 3 Series (Hartnell just a bit over 3, Pertwee 6 and Tom Baker 7, and then Tennant did the Specials after 3 Series)