Officially no series 8 in 2013

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I feel that the amount of money saved would, at best, give you one more episode. They could also save money by doing a bunch of bottle episodes, but that would probably lead to a decline in quality. I don't see that being ideal either. I think the goal is to have fewer episodes at a high standard. I don't think that's unreasonable. More is not always better.

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

The split seasons give more freedom as I can't resist watching 11pm Saturday every weekend, so the timing doesn't get tiresome over time like it does with longer seasons.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Alidar, if that's the case, they should just be upfront about it. None of this, "you'll get more than ever before" hyperbole! I think that is what frustrates people. The contradictory "information" and hyperbole. Just tell us the truth.

Sure, some people won't like it, but they're already not liking it the way it is!

Mr Awe

4. Konata Izumi

I laud Moffat for spouting crap and making the programme make no sense. People don't see the truth, if exaggerated, in surrealism enough, and miss opportunities and get disappointed and stuff in their tunnel vision. And put way too much weight on the word of authorities. Of course they're nonsense.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

That depends on when they knew the money wouldn't be there. Certainly, he should be honest now if it's a budget constraint issue. There's no reason not to be candid.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure there is. That's calling being insubordinate and burning one's bosses.

7. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[Mods, please delete]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm predicting Easter Saturday for Season 7b to start airing.

9. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Clairvoyant? Or did you figure that because that's what they're advertising (at least on BBC-A). New Who on March 30th (Saturday b4 Easter Sunday) :)

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

They already announced that last week...

11. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, that's not embracing money saving. Moving your production to another country is the complete opposite of money saving. Embracing money saving would have been NOT going to Spain/Croatia to film some episodes.

Moffat needs to realize that Doctor Who doesn't have the budget of Game of Thrones. He needs to run the show like the low budget series it is. Babylon 5, the Stargates, and Farscape managed to do epic well with extremely limited budgets. Doctor Who can do it to.

12. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

He's just time traveled to let us know ...

13. Konata Izumi

Moffat doesn't decide the number of episodes nor the budget per episode; what should he spend the money on?

Does it have to look cheap?:p

14. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

He said that for quite some time. During that time, I'm sure the BBC would've known that its budget was shrinking. Perhaps there was a lack of communication within the BBC so Moffat and the higher ups had different knowledge.

I'm not blaming Moffat, more saying that the BBC as a whole should just come out and give a clear picture.

Mr Awe

15. Konata Izumi

I like The Power of Three and will watch it now. It feels like the Doctor's come to a visit even though he doesn't really do that much anymore.

16. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Power of Three is really good until the ludicrous deus ex machina ending.

17. Konata Izumi

I don't really see how it's any more ludicrous than anything else in Who to reverse the heart attack program.

Ah there's the finding the entrance randomly too. I guess there's something surreal about it so I don't mind.

No recollection of how they got rid of the aliens though.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The TARDIS set had to be rebuilt anyway, so why not do a new design? And the Cybus Industries Cybermen look are the longest running for the Cybermen period. In classic Who they had a new look nearly every story. There's nothing wrong with a new look seven years after the previous one was introduced.

Besides, Moffat already failed in two previous attempts to redesign the Cybermen. There was no money to do it in The Pandorica Opens and only enough money to remove the Cybus logo in A Good Man Goes to War.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well they could just go back to filming every episode in a quarry...

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

How is Moffat going to Spain different from RTD having one episode in Italy and another in Dubai? Moffat might have gone to too many places(Utah,New York, Spain)

Were RTD's trips like a family holiday?

"Ok, we've saved enough cash this year to go abroad"

Compared to Moffat

"Spend it while you have it! Deal with the consequences later!"