Official Smallville Season Eight Spoiler Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

About as natural as her tan.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

They started off as supporting characters in Superboy and Supergirl stories...so they were just playing on the same field as those main characters who, in-story, were supposed to be their legendary inspirations.

3. Guy Gardener

The often raised point I was reraising was why now still 10-15 years later, their time, since they first met Superboy are they still calling themselves Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy and Matter-Eater Lad? When they were kids, they were kids. It was almost understandable, and maybe it all just translates badly from Interlac? Now most of them are blundering into their midlife crisises. I suppose DC rebooting Legion continuity every ten years or so doesn't help.

As JC and the Beatles kinda said, "there comes a time to put away childish things". Cosmic Man, Saturn Woman and Matter-Eater Stud... Which unfortunately ruts against the entire spirit behind the Legion, their unparalleled gay innocence about being joyful as they save the universe from utter bastards, but why wouldn't Smallville rut against the entire spirit of the legion?

It's practically their manifesto.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is it set in stone then that Vandervoort will return for episode 8 or 9? Which would be November sweeps.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

7. The Old Mixer

I haven't been following recent developments, so I don't know to what degree pre-Crisis Legion continuity applies to the current DC multiverse. However, back in the day, the issue was dealt with from time to time. There was a story in the late '70s, by which point it had become obvious that most of the Legionnaires were in their late teens or early 20s, in which they revealed that 30th Century humans enjoyed a substantially longer lifespan, hence people so old by our standards still considering themselves kids. In the '80s, Levitz firmly established the chronology of the Legion in an RPG sourcebook, which did hold with the next creative team...and established that the older Legionnaires were indeed well into their 20's. At that point, aside from that '70s story (which was one of those one-shot deals that was never referenced again), one could assume that it had to do with tradition. In the first half of the '90s, Giffen and the Bierbaums took the Legion on a five-year jump further into the future, in which 30-ish Legionnaires who were putting back together their team after it had broken up pretty much did away with distinctive costumes and the old code names. Some still went by nicknames, (like Shrinking Violet going by "Vi"), but most just used their real names.

Rebooted versions of the team, of course, by nature made the Legionnaires younger again. The post-Zero Hour version also tended to favor revised code names for many of the Legionnaires (Live Wire, Alchemist, etc.), so the Boy/Girl/Lad/Lass thing was still there, but not nearly as prominent. The latest reboot that I'm familiar with brought back most of the traditional codenames, IIRC, but it also had at its core a generational clash, so it's understandable that the Legionnaires would emphasize their youth.

On the female side of things, for decades it was the norm for fully-adult super-heroines to use "Girl" instead of "Woman"--though that's fallen out favor since the '80s, it does have some weight of tradition; so it's really only an issue for the guys.

When did the Beatles say that...?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  8. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like this C. S. Lewis quote better:

"Critics who treat "adult" as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adults themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.... When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

9. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

10. Guy Gardener

I've changed my mind. She needs two cookies.

Her neck looks like a fagot of electrical wiring.

She doesn't look healthy, but she does look orange.

Poor lady.

11. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

I love Smallville but it always ran against something else and so all I got to watch was alot of season 1-4 episodes. and some randomly 5-7.

I can get everything that has gone on, but I really got the sour end of the deal since I am kind of out of the loop.

12. The Old Mixer

^Trust me, not having seen every episode of Smallville is a good thing....

13. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

At times, that can be so true.

14. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

yea maybe but I missed alot!

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Not necessarily a bad thing...

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can someone who follows this show closely PM me to notify me when Laura Vandervoort's episode is due to air? For no real reason whatsoever... :) Thanks.

17. Guy Gardener

Wow, she was the pretty blonde girl from Instant star. :)

She didn't used to have Zoolander cheeks.

18. The Old Mixer

If you saw most of Seasons 1 and 2, you're good. Did you catch the first Chris Reeve appearance in Season 2? The show never got better than that.

19. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I can do that, Aragorn!

:techman:

20. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Rumored November 6th