O'Brien out, Leno back in?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Professor Zoom, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Andy has said that he was going to follow Coco where ever he went, and Conan has said he was always welcome.

Please, it's the self pleasuring panda, not the masturbating bear. ;)

2. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My guess would be that he doesn't change the format much. He might shorten the monologue or something like that, but he seems to like starting with a conventional, even "square" image and then skewing it in bizarre directions.

I was glad to hear that the show will only be four nights a week. That gives them an extra day to work on taped pieces. I always thought Late Night with David Letterman lost something when they went to five nights a week around '86 or '87. It's nice to have new shows all week, but it seemed like the comedy pieces were stronger with an extra day to work on them.

--Justin

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

4. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I think 4 nights a week will work better all around...that's the way TDS/Colbert Report do it and it seems to work pretty well for them. I'd imagine that Friday nights on basic cable are even more of a ratings wasteland than Friday nights on network TV...

Anyone have any idea where he'll tape the show? Where does Lopez tape his show?

5. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I'd prefer four nights a week, too, but I'm just happy he's got a venue that will likely allow him to do so much more than what he was doing on NBC. I think he'll start out playing it safe, but I wouldn't say it's unreasonable that we'll see him try new things once he's comfortable.

6. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Who'll Boycott a Jay Leno Tonight Show?

Found this article from January talking about Leno and O'Brien's travails:

Who'll Boycott a Jay Leno Tonight Show?

7. Data Holmes

Has Tom Hanks been on Leno yet? I've seen ads saying he was going to be on Dave like three times since conan got ousted.

Now there is a conan loyalist, and a powerful Hollywood type to have on an enemies list.

8. Data Holmes

9. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL Just been reading some of Dana Gould's tweets, & man does he rail on Leno

"Jay wanted The Tonight Show back in the worst way. And he got his wish."

"Thanks to Jay Leno for explaining, now that he has everything he wants at everyone else's expense, how he's really the victim"

"Leno would pop out your mom's eyeball and use the empty socket as a toe hold to climb up and show everyone how nice he was. OK, I'm done."

"Tonight it's either watch Leno or pour bleach into my pee-hole through a funnel. Anybody got a funnel?"

10. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Level 2 Diagnostic

Level 2 Diagnostic Captain Captain

And the week before he was doing better. I don't know what these week-by-week ratings are supposed to prove, especially when it seems like people selectively talk about the numbers on weeks where Leno is doing the same or worse.

As I said earlier in this thread (at least I think I said it), wake me up when Letterman beats Leno. Until that happens, NBC made the right choice.

12. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I dunno. It might be argued Conan has a higher ceiling than Leno has...since Leno might've passed his prime already.

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Everything aside I don't think they did. Here are several reasons why...

1. This is NBC, they haven't doen a thing right in years. :lol:
    2. Leno will retire for good at some point and then who will we get? Mr. Jimmy Not-Funny?
    3. The same ratings as Conan's should mean that Leno gets fired. :lol
    4. It's NBC!!!

14. Docbrown777

Docbrown777 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some of you "Cone Heads" need to just drop it IMHO. The Coco movement (and this is my opinion from a couple months ago as well) has become as annoying as a fringe political campaign (Tea Party?)

The guy lost his job it's done. Just sit tight until his cable show premiers. What does ranting against Leno accomplish anymore except to keep beating me over the head with information that changes nothing?

15. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Agreed. It was wrong for TheBrew to hit you over the head, tie you to a chair, open this thread, prop your eyelids open with toothpicks and force you to read.

Where does that guy get off?!

16. Docbrown777

Docbrown777 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amen, thank you.

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Usually at a Denny's, but it's a very complicated story.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually won't be watching Conan's new show, so you really have no clue what you are talking about.

I just think NBC is run by idiots, turkeys with pens could do a better job running the network, and writing most of their shows.