Spoilers 'Obi-Wan Kenobi' series [Spoiler Discussion]

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Reverend, May 20, 2022.

1. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

“My evil plan will be ready to go in 24 hours! You have that long to stop me! Mwah ha ha!”

Poor guy. You know he didn’t want to send that broadcast. But the writers couldn’t think of a better way to set up the conflict they wanted, so they made him do it, and he was powerless to resist them.

Same thing with sending the Force lightning at Rey. It’s literally the only way he can lose, but he has to do it because the writers make him.

dupersuper and jackoverfull like this.
  2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

All of that was in the movie. How anyone could miss the movie's involvement of essence transfer is beyond me.

saddestmoon likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because of not liking Palpatine's return at all. Most times, the things I hear gripped about (note: not criticism) are in the film but missed for whatever reason, usually dissatisfaction.

4. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Picked up the concept of essence transfer.

As an adult, the resurrection of Palpatine in canon was as stupid to me as his resurrection in Legends. (As a kid, his first return in the original Dark Empire was pretty cool. DEII and Empires End were and still are dumb though.)

But some like it. Live and let live.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think Palpatine coming back and delving into his using the dark side to maintain his consciousness in the physical realm could have worked if they had tied it more into one of the themes of the prequels, that of learning to let go of your attachments in the mortal world and--ultimately--not to fear death and what lies beyond. Palpatine feared death and sought to extend his life far beyond what it should have been. They should have played into that in TRoS.

If I could go back and redo things to try and make a bit more sense of it, I would have said that Palpatine had actually existed for centuries by the time of the movies ("I am all the Sith!"), and was using the dark side to possess and take over the bodies of his apprentices once his own body began to fail him, but the body he was possessing needed to have enough midi-chlorians (they're canon, deal with it) to handle Palpatine's essence, which is why he was so obsessed with Anakin.

But then Anakin got Kenobi'd and he was no longer a suitable host for him, and he was getting older, so he started trying to figure out how to create a clone body with midi-chlorians (tying into the mysterious cloning project we saw in The Mandalorian and The Bad Batch) but because of their mystical nature it was proving difficult to replicate them. Then he learned about Luke and started working to turn him and possess him, but then Anakin destroyed Palpatine's body, though he did manage to transfer his spirit to his secret base on Exegol, where he was essentially stuck because, while he had made progress on cloning a body rich with midi-chlorians, the bodies deteriorated way too fast and he couldn't leave Exegol.

That's why he lured Ben Solo to him, he was going to finally get his hands on one of those Skywalker bodies full of sweet midi-chlorians, but then he learns of Rey, who is just as strong as Ben, and decides she would be a better host for him because she is, essentially, his genetic daughter, making the possession much less of a risk and more viable long-term.

6. fireproof78

That's pretty much my interpretation after watching it anyway. Every Star Wars story with Sidious shows him as a huge planner, with wheels within wheels within wheels that would make the Bene Gesserit look spontaneous. At every step he is usually ahead, playing the longest game for avoiding death and making his power last forever. From the PT forward he became the great evil that lurked in the shadows of the Skywalker story.

As a mythic evil his return makes sense .

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

What do you expect, guy has shot himself in the face with Sith lightning multiple times now. That's gotta scramble the old noodle. ;)

jackoverfull and Campe like this.
  8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even though he's a clone, Rey's father is still considered Palpatine's son, and therefore Rey is his granddaughter.

9. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The essence transfer is in the movie (as I actually pointed out above), how he came back seemingly in the same, in a very bad condition, body is totally unexplained.
    that’s why I wrote “genetic”.

10. Set Harth

But it’s not the same body, that’s where the cloning comes in.

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Palpatine's evil essence - his soul - is what survived the second Death Star. The geneticists and cloners on Exegol are who gave him a new body. A very shoddy and imperfect body, but a new body nevertheless.

It's basically the old EU Clone Emperor plot but taken to a different level.

saddestmoon and fireproof78 like this.
  12. jackoverfull

as I said, that’s not said in the movie. I’m sure it’s in books, comics and whatnot, but not in the movie.

13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    One of that movie's many failings is that it poorly explains things. And I mean poorly.

It's....not a very good Star Wars film.

14. jackoverfull

well, it’s one of the main issues with Abram’s writing in general: he’s obsessed with the mystery box concept but seldom manages to open them. This kinda makes him great in writing beginnings and awful at endings.

or film in general.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  15. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why are we discussing "The Force Awakens" in this thread?

jackoverfull likes this.
  16. jackoverfull

I thought we were discussing Rise of Skywalker!

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He wasn't a pure clone of Palpatine, he was a strand-cast, there was other genetic material used in the process.
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Strand-Cast

saddestmoon and jackoverfull like this.
  18. Set Harth

It's said in the movie that cloning was involved in Palpatine's return.

19. fireproof78

It really is in the film. I didn't read a single damn book to figure this out. And Mandalorian adds to the context. So, yeah, people can say it was poorly explained but it was there.

However, by all means everyone, continue to hate the film. I think I'll rewatch it tonight.

saddestmoon and Commander Troi like this.
  20. jackoverfull

All right then!
    can you quote that? All I remember to justify his presence is that trite line about the dark side of the force being a way to unnatural abilities and so on.