Now that the strike is over, whither Season 3?

Mr. Laser Beam

Fleet Admiral
Admiral
Now that the SAG strike has ended, is it too early to speculate on how much (if any) Season 3 will be pushed back?

I mean, they probably wouldn't have started filming by now (even with no strike), amirite?

Now that the SAG strike has ended, is it too early to speculate on how much (if any) Season 3 will be pushed back?

I mean, they probably wouldn't have started filming by now (even with no strike), amirite?
A lot of preproduction was done before the strike, so filming would have been well underway by now. Maybe even some post production. I think we're looking at a late 2024 release now.

DSC season 5 is supposed to air in early 2024, isn't it? So since two Trek series apparently cannot air concurrently, wouldn't they have pushed back SNW anyway, even if there had never been a strike?

Filming starts in early December and ends in July. A lot of the Pre-production was already finished when the Writer's strike started, and some more was completed after it ended.

According to one of the directors, the writers strike actually started a day or 2 before the actors would have started arriving, that's how close they were to filming.

Seasons 1 and 2 also finished filming in July of their filming year, and came out 10-11 months later. So Season 3 will probably be early 2025.

Last edited:
DSC season 5 is supposed to air in early 2024, isn't it? So since two Trek series apparently cannot air concurrently, wouldn't they have pushed back SNW anyway, even if there had never been a strike?
Why? Without the strikes, Disco likely would have premiered January/February 2025 and have been over by April. SNW could very easily have premiered in its usual spring time slot, either May or June and not gotten in Disco's way.

I don't miss the days when broadcast was less than 2 months after filming, but does there really need to be almost a full year between filming and release?
Evidently there does need to be that much time to create the visual effects that we see. It's probably the reason most of these episodes come across like short feature films then just your average weekly TV series.:shrug:

Personally, I'm glad they take the time to make the series the best it can be, because it has really hit it out of the park for me in the first two seasons.

I am a huge TOS fan, and I always have considered TOS the number one Star Trek franchise series overall to this day. However, strange new worlds is the first Star Trek franchise series that could Dethrone TOS as my number one Trek series and move it to the number two position for me. (YMMV) :)

Evidently there does need to be that much time to create the visual effects that we see. It's probably the reason most of these episodes come across like short feature films then just your average weekly TV series.:shrug:

Personally, I'm glad they take the time to make the series the best it can be, because it has really hit it out of the park for me in the first two seasons.

I am a huge TOS fan, and I always have considered TOS the number one Star Trek franchise series overall to this day. However, strange new worlds is the first Star Trek franchise series that could Dethrone TOS as my number one Trek series and move it to the number two position for me. (YMMV) :)
I love the visuals but I don't think we need feature level vfx, IMO. I do want it to stay gorgeous of course but I"ll take less vfx over more episodes any day.

Personally, I think they should split season 3 into two parts. Episodes 1-5 in June. Part 2 dec/early 2025. Show is a success and I wouldn't want the public consciousness to be fleeting in any way. Also splitting seasons is not unheard of.

Personally, I think they should split season 3 into two parts. Episodes 1-5 in June. Part 2 dec/early 2025. Show is a success and I wouldn't want the public consciousness to be fleeting in any way. Also splitting seasons is not unheard of.
Paramount+ generally doesn't prefer doing split seasons, they lost viewers in the second half of Disco's first season because of the split. The only reasons Disco season 4 and the first season of Prodigy were split is because COVID caused production delays after the premiere dates were already publicly announced, and so splitting the seasons was their way of having their cake and eating it too by meeting the announced premiere dates and allowing time for the later episodes to be complete.

Paramount+ generally doesn't prefer doing split seasons, they lost viewers in the second half of Disco's first season because of the split. The only reasons Disco season 4 and the first season of Prodigy were split is because COVID caused production delays after the premiere dates were already publicly announced, and so splitting the seasons was their way of having their cake and eating it too by meeting the announced premiere dates and allowing time for the later episodes to be complete.

Well the strike would potentially qualify as "the only reason " they would do it in this case which is another form of a production delay like Covid. And like Covid, a generally shared delay among all off Hollywood. .You would think studios would want to get a jump in the market against their competition by getting their content shown faster. But hey Im no TV marketing guy. Not saying Paramount would do it, just that I would if was in their shoes.

Last edited:
Well the strike would potentially qualify as "the only reason " they would do it which is another form of a production delay. .
Read the rest of the sentence. I said production delays after they publicly announced premiere dates. As they have not announced a premiere date for S3 of SNW, production delays would be a non factor this time.

Read the rest of the sentence. I said production delays after they publicly announced premiere dates. As they have not announced a premiere date for S3 of SNW, production delays would be a non factor this time.
My bad. Still think getting a jump would be wise regardless. Unlike Discovery S1, Strange New Worlds is an established brand with top 10 streaming acumen. . I dont think splitting the season would hurt them as Bad (if at all). I think it can help maintain their built up momentum and even manifest interest in between the half seasons ( stronger trending in social media within the calendar year,, blogs, speculation articles etc)

And With about a 6 - 8 month span separating them (hypothetically) , you can almost just see them as separate 5 episode seasons moreso than a traditional mid season split.

Last edited:
Splitting the season is bad, IMO. They should just complete the season and release when ready. As others have mentioned, splitting a season just loses viewers over the long run. Many just think they suddenly got five episodes per season and not 10.

I love the visuals but I don't think we need feature level vfx, IMO. I do want it to stay gorgeous of course but I"ll take less vfx over more episodes any day.

Same here. DS9 had great effects and did a full season. But sadly I think the days of 20-24 episode seasons will never happen on streaming and will probably be gone from network tv one day as well...and we will just get more shows we won't want to watch....lol

Same here. DS9 had great effects and did a full season. But sadly I think the days of 20-24 episode seasons will never happen on streaming and will probably be gone from network tv one day as well...and we will just get more shows we won't want to watch....lol
So...just like when DS9 was on the air?

The list of shows I want to watch is very short.

So...just like when DS9 was on the air?

The list of shows I want to watch is very short.

Well that's what I mean. We had fewer shows back then but more episodes. Now we have more tv shows out there but less episodes. So I actually watch less new stuff then I used to. Because my favorite shows end after 10 episodes.

Last edited:
Back