Novelverse Writers: Uniforms in the 2380's?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai, Oct 4, 2017.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, they were early Star Trek Online uniforms from before the current developer took over and the game's release. I thought they were quite snazzy.

I was reading The Fall: Peaceable Kingdoms a few weeks ago, and I'm sure someone was described as having "red shoulders" on their uniform. I assumed it was a botch, imagining Voyager unis instead of the FC ones, but it could always mean the uniforms have changed.

2. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

Just looked them up, I can see why they'd be popular! They look great, and exactly how I imagined! Although, I feel like the design could use some stylization/variation rather than a 1:1 translation from TWoK to FC as a hybrid, now that I actually see it. Maybe something a little more sleeker?

3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

The FC ones are the best Unis we ever had, Imho. Though the “Timeless” variant is cool: standard uniform with AGT combadge.

SolarisOne and Brefugee like this.
  4. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

'Monster Greys' with the undershirts being black with the TNG TVshow-shaped collars with division-coloured rim around the neck? That's my favourite detail, especially in HD.

Topped off with the AGT combadge :D

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could one of you post a picture or link? I've never seen the "monster greys" before and I'm intrigued.

Jinn likes this.
  6. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

http://fleet31.com/uniforms/monstergrays/

These are the ones I found through a google search. This seems to be popular with the cosplayers:

https://camwilkinson.deviantart.com/art/Fleet-31-Monster-Grays-Skant-360616464

The skant doesn't look half bad! This particular one could use some tailoring, but I like the idea quite a bit.

Admiral's Variant looks quite dapper! https://camwilkinson.deviantart.com/art/Fleet-31-Monster-Grays-Admiral-s-Variant-376981014

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Jinn and lawman like this.
  7. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai Commander Red Shirt

Can't say I'm crazy about the monster greys. I like a lot of aspects of a several of the STO uniforms but not one particular set as is.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They look like someone went bonkers in a Star Trek version of those create-a-wrestler modes on old WWF videogames.

Which I'm guessing Star Trek Online kinda is. Just without as much chair-related violence or rock music.

9. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

I don't know why some people dislike those uniforms so much...

I also suspect that, if and when the novels progress past 2390 and this visual decision needs to be made, TPTB will insist on the AGT uniform variant being used because that's the uniform style used in "the" future according to canonical sources.

10. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Except that those were all "alternate futures" which may not/won't come to pass. So, wiggle room.

They allowed the books to bring back two main characters killed on screen. Finessing a "uniform issue" ain't nuthin'. :cool:

11. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Bring back more of the dead, I say!

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except plenty of other stuff from AGT's future has already been overwritten by the actual post-TNG continuity. There's no 3-nacelled Enterprise-D. Deanna isn't dead. Data is dead (at least in his original form). Heck, the end of AGT itself had dialogue explicitly letting us know that the future didn't actually have to happen that way.

Besides, "TPTB" had no objection to Star Trek Online designing a new uniform for 2409.

Markonian likes this.
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those are cool as kind of a goofy cos-play creation, but I don't know if I'd actually want to see them in an official book/comic/ect.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was looking through the STO wiki and Memory Beta different new uniforms they've been using and my favorites are the Countdown uniform, which they also used for one of the Waypoint stories, and the Sierra Uniform from STO.
    STO's default uniforms are called the Odyssey Uniform, but I find them boring, I like it when they have a bit more color to them.

Markonian likes this.
  15. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

At the risk of liking something from Countdown, I agree those uniforms are quite nice looking (although they looked weird to me in the actual comic) the non-comic lineart for the design does look pretty clean.

And I think the monster greys look better on paper than they do on a lot of these cosplayers.

16. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

I think my favourite of the STO uniforms is probably either the Odyssey Cadet TU (https://sto.gamepedia.com/media/sto.gamepedia.com/7/7b/Odyssey_Cadet_Tactical.png?version=48406e28d18555c2fbf26451fe65d081) or the Cadet SU (https://sto.gamepedia.com/media/sto....png?version=de34c2770a3ce5a5df6c3fe9dda0a506) as they are a nice update of the UESF and DSC uniforms without being too "stormtrooper" which can be an issue with the black variants.

The grey ones aren't bad either, especially as a dress uniform.

Markonian likes this.
  17. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai Commander Red Shirt

I don't play STO and probably will never start, but I do love the Jupiter uniforms. Specifically the fourth.

18. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I really only liked the STO uniform once they introduced the Odyssey uniforms.

19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those 'Monster Greys' remind me of the Odyssey Dress Uniforms

[​IMG]

I like the Captain's uniform. The artist behind the Odyssey uniforms is a fan of the Honor Harrington series and included some nods in the uniform and colour scheme. The white shoulders being a nod to the white Berets.

[​IMG]

Markonian and Jinn like this.
  20. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

I really like the white added to the captains uniform on that set! Maybe a thin department color stripe around the wrists with some white trim could finish the look off nicely. I loved the look of the white FC dress uniforms aside from being too tight fitting for my taste. Its hard for me to tell if I like a lot of the STO uniforms or not because they add that shine to everything and it comes off looking chunky and leathery; hard to imagine a live action version without looking too generic scifi military and not enough Star Trek.

What a fun thread! After seeing all these variations, I am now imagining the Odyssey Dress uniform in standard black, replacing the gold trim with white, without the collar on the tunic, replaced with an undershirt with a TNG style collar with the trim, as mentioned by @Danlav05

Markonian likes this.