I think Khan's crew were followers and devoted to him. Not all the "supermen" were Napoleons in the making. Khan might have hand picked his 70 plus crewmates to be "rival" free.
True.I think Khan's crew were followers and devoted to him. Not all the "supermen" were Napoleons in the making. Khan might have hand picked his 70 plus crewmates to be "rival" free.
Khan II would be in quite the pickle if they're not up to snuff.True.
But he can't guarantee that with all their children. Plus, he'll die eventually from old age (assuming no accidents or... "accidents"). Once he's gone, it'll be a free for all for who'll be in charge.
Plus, he'll die eventually from old age...
I don't mean Khan's kids. I mean his followers' kids. Khan can't truly guarantee the loyalty of them.Khan II would be in quite the pickle if they're not up to snuff.
Even an augmented human can only live so long. I doubt Khan would be alive 100 years after "SPACE SEED", even in ideal conditions. That'd make him around the 140s. (And even though we see McCoy in TNG close to that age, he seems to be the very rare anomaly. Plus, he had 24th century medicine to aid him during the 24th century. Khan and his people don't have access to that benefit.)Will he? I'm not exactly sure we have any data points on how long an Augment will live. Khan looked older in TWoK because he had lived a hard twenty years on Ceti Alpha V.
Even an augmented human can only live so long. I doubt Khan would be alive 100 years after "SPACE SEED", even in ideal conditions. That'd make him around the 140s. (And even though we see McCoy in TNG close to that age, he seems to be the very rare anomaly. Plus, he had 24th century medicine to aid him during the 24th century. Khan and his people don't have access to that benefit.)
I'm talking about the followers kids too. Khan's heir would need to keep them under control. If they were weak, the Khan Dynasty ends with them.I don't mean Khan's kids. I mean his followers' kids. Khan can't truly guarantee the loyalty of them.
Extended, sure. But that much greater?I was talking more about hypotheticals. We've never really been privy to how long Augments will live in any conditions. If their bodies are constantly repairing themselves, then they should be expected to have extended lifespans.
Which still has the same result... they kill each other off.I'm talking about the followers kids too. Khan's heir would need to keep them under control. If they were weak, the Khan Dynasty ends with them.
It's possible one would rise to the top.Which still has the same result... they kill each other off.
Extended, sure. But that much greater?
I can buy 100 or 110. Maybe 120, but I think that's still pushing it hard.
But 140 or more years? I just don't see it.
A cellular regeneration and entertainment chamber might help with that... but that's still got a ways to go.
This has a problem: Without The Wrath of Khan then Space Seed isn't that highly regarded of an episode.
Roddenberry was very stubborn about not going back to literal TOS episodes. Probably correctly. (The Naked Now is as much a remake as it is a sequel, intended to do the same "Hey, here is our crew" job that people came to think of it having done.)
So without TWOK he has no more reason to go back to Space Seed than, say A Piece of the Action or The Apple. And with TWOK then, well, we got what we got along the latter Trek obsession with the Eugenics Wars.
But Space Seed has the distinction of characters wondering onscreen about the long term ramifications of their actions, so if you had to pick one, it's the logical choice to get a sequel.
So without TWOK he has no more reason to go back to Space Seed...
We use essential cookies to make this site work, and optional cookies to enhance your experience.