No reason the current cast couldn't do a TV series.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Plum, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A miniseries or a tv movie every month would be great. However, Star Wars will have 2 tv series. Keep Star Trek on the silver screen. Digital 3D IMAX. :thumbsup:

2. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I'm thinking of a scenario not far from this. I doubt JJ will wanna do TV by then, I think he's more interested in directing, however I would be thrilled to see Orci be the show runner. I think he'd be thrilled too. :lol:

3. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm having a tough time imagining what unique contributions Berman may have come up with that can't be done without.

He was, ultimately, a BUSINESS MANAGER, not a creative type. So I'm actually somewhat inclined to give Berman more slack than some of the other folks... he wasn't, really supposed to be the "sci-fi-visionary," was he?

Braga, and yes MOORE, I blame for a number of things, though. IMHO, if it hadn't been for Pillar's influence, TNG would have never been as good as it was. I think Michael Pillar was really the guy who kept mid-run TNG on a good storytelling track.

Feel free to disagree, of course.

4. Cary L. Brown

Agreed.

But give them a "non-remake" option... tell them that they're setting a new show in an existing world, but that they can make up new characters and situations, provided that they just don't contradict the (honestly) SMALL amount of continuity that exists in Trekdom... and otherwise, give them a FREE HAND.

It'd LOVE to see what some fresh takes on different situations in the Star Trek milleau would produce.

I think that the general audience would enjoy it, too. FAR more than they'd enjoy "more of the same ol' same ol" which is what's GENERALLY being discussed if someone talks about a "new TOS series with the new Kirk, Spock, etc," I think.

5. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Though it's extremely unlikely, would you like it if Manny Coto was given another chance at bat, with the possibility of more scripts from writers like the Reeves-Stevens and Mike Sussman? He would be creating a whole new series, not a continuation of Enterprise.

6. Dane_Whitman

That would be the best scenario, I think. Let them do their own thing within the Trek universe, but keep it within the Trek universe.

7. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Completely. He turned the show around in the third season, and brought in guys like Ron Moore, Ira Steven Behr, Naren Shankar, and Brannon Braga. Piller deserves a lot of credit.

As far as the Farscape guys go... I suspect, if given creative freedom and the option to be showrunners of a show they create (which has an inbuilt fanbase to boot), it wouldn't be such a bad prospect. If JMS was chomping at the bit for an opportunity, I wouldn't be surprised if they or others of reasonable talent can be interested.

8. Plum

^^^
    I tend to agree about Pillar.

oooh, yes, get Manny involved. Good call.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

jms' work in this vein has been derivative - to be kind. I don't rank him anywhere nearly as highly as the "Farscape" folks or Whedon either as a writer or producer. I'm not too surprised that he'd want Trek, nor was his proposal for a Trek series any better than the mediocrity one would expect from his previous space opera shows.

10. Kegek

True. I read his proposal, it was more or less Babylon 5 reworked as a Star Trek pitch, complete with the mystery as to why Kirk had been made a commander (a la Sheridan) and some ancient alien evil (a la the Shadows).

But, to be similarly blunt, Whedon's antics bore me to tears. His characters run the gamut from lame humour to syrupy angst.

Perhaps a better comparison is Abrams himself. He's been pretty successful as a producer of his own TV ideas, such as Lost, and he's gone on to make a Star Trek movie. If given the kind of freedom he has with the film, I wouldn't be surprised if a past hypothetical TV writer and/or producer of quality is interested.

Perhaps, if a series is to come immediately from this film at all, it'd be through Abrams' collaborators. Orci & Kurtzmann? Lindelof? I don't know.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

De gustibus non est disputandum.

As a writer about human beings and based upon his work up to this point, Whedon interests me a good deal more than anyone associated with the upcoming Trek film.

12. Plum

Yea, gotta say that Whedon is a wonderful genre writer. I'm not aware of any 'antics' from Whedon. :lol:

13. Cary L. Brown

Well, I despised the take the JMS came up with for a "rebooted universe" Star Trek... not because I didn't think it could make for good storytelling, though. I hated it because it fundamentally altered KNOWN THINGS in an attempt to turn them into something else.

Now, take the JMS proposal, but excise each and every reference to "Kirk, Spock, McCoy, the Enterprise," etc, etc. Replace that with new characters, and set it POST TNG (which does make sense, since only a small number of people in the galaxy really know about the progenitor bit we saw in ... wasn't it called "The Chase?"). And have this guy basically assigned to track down mysteries concerning this mysterious progenitor race.

Everything that JMS came up with, in THAT setting, would work beautifully... without requiring us to pretend it's "another universe" or whatever.

THAT is what I hated about his proposal. Not the root concepts of the type of story he wanted to tell.

Oh, and Kegek... it was SINCLAIR who had the mystery associated with him. Sheridan was no mystery at all.. he was supposed to be "Earthgov's man" and was supposed to piss the Minbari off... hence the irony that he's the guy who overthrew Clark and ended up living on Minbar. ;)

Personally, I LOVE Babylon 5. Yes, we know that some folks don't... personal opinion and all that.

There's a solution to all of this, though. And it goes back to what was suggested earlier.

We're all thinking in terms of "ongoing series" but there's no real reason to do so. I'd rather have a quarterly "Trek movie-of-the-week," each one done by a different creative team (and you could have multiple shows filming at once, since each would be a dramatically different story).

Sort of a semi-annual-installment-plan ANTHOLOGY.

Wheadon, or JMS, or ANYONE ELSE might have a "go" at it. But they'd be there just for one presentation, then the next guy gets HIS shot.

I think that would work for a few years, don't you?

14. Kegek

My mistake. I get them confused sometimes, Sheridan is essentially Sinclair Lite. ;)
    They don't interest me either, for what it's worth.

To be fair on Whedon, I caught Serenity on TV and, whatever my problems with the film, it held my attention... which is more than I can say of Mission Impossible III.

If he was involved in some Trek project I'd give it a chance, but I wouldn't be rooting for him.

15. Dane_Whitman

I love B5 and most of JMS run on Spider-Man, but his idea for a Star Trek reboot didn't sit well with me. The most important reason is that he seemed too interested in making it JMS-Trek rather than Star Trek produced by JMS. Though he may not have liked the 24th century shows, the least he could admit was that they further solidified a universe that offers a lot of possibilities for storyteling. No need to throw that away with the rest of the garbage. You can set your Star Trek show in the 'existing' 24th century and keep references to the other shows to a minimum, the old-time fans will be pleased and you can do almost everything you want at the same time.

Star Trek is bigger than just one producer's vision.

16. Plum

You know... I once watched a B5 marathon one New Years... 6 hours... I wanted to claw my eyes out afterward.

And I AM interested in JJ Abram's Star Trek just as much as any young creative force. I might be more inclined to, say, Whedon, but I still am excited JJ and his crew are doing Trek.

17. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Mediocrity is what I aim for everyday! :thumbsup:

18. Plum

That I believe.

19. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is too soon to regard Lost as an artistic success (you have to see the end of a serial to tell that,) much less the new Trek movie. And why ever is there a a young, McCoy, young Scotty, young Uhura and young Chekhov? Slash was invented to explain how Kirk and Spock got to be such friends. That's the only interesting character backstory. The whole thing sounds like an abortion.

20. Plum

^^^
    Relax :lol: it's just a revamping of an old franchise. It's Hollywoodland, not exactly cutting edge.

Sure, I miss the days when Trek was written by crack sci-fi writers of the age, Harlen Ellison, Norman Spinrad, Theodore Sturgeon (not to mention Desilu's best TV guys), but those days are gone man.