Spoilers No Personalised Advert for Elnor?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Gyakuto, Feb 24, 2020.

1. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem with this though is that means that the Romulan operatives either willingly went to their deaths, or were being set up themselves. Probably the former, because how can you ensure they don't get a lucky shot off and kill Picard?

2. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

If they are really that desperate to keep whatever the secret is a secret they might be willing to sacrifice their lives. If they're fanatics they probably see it as a reasonable approach.

3. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doubtful. The attack failed because Laris and Zhaban kicked some Romulan ass! (credit to ST'09 Olson!). Again, not everything is a conspiracy.

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

But this one probably is. And the supposed professional killers did go in equipped primarily to kill themselves: there was no weapon in their arsenal for effectively killing people in a room beyond a door, no attempt at sniping or bombing. And we learned of no reason why the assassins would have needed to resort to anything less than a full nuking of LaBarre: collateral damage was clearly not a concern. Heck, the one caught made no effort to kill Picard, spitting his poison at Zhaban instead.

Plus, it was Jurati who killed the Romulan, rather than vice versa. That just wouldn't happen unless conspiracy.

Timo Saloniemi

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Seems like the sort of thing an ad algorithm might do..."Robots? Here's a robot!"

6. Llywela

Llywela Commander Red Shirt

I thought it also highlighted his desire to be included - which we saw again later in the episode, when he saw other crewmembers assuming false personas for a mission and wanted to be included in that, even though he has no idea how to play a role. I think that desire to be included tells us something about Elnor's character, and I'm interested to see how that develops - after all, being raised by the Qowat Milat would have kept him excluded from wider society, while at the same time, being a boy meant he was also excluded from the Qowat Milat, so has he ever felt like he actually belongs anywhere?

7. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Is there any hidden significance to the fact we got a personalised ad scene right after we saw Jurati watching a holo where Maddox is baking cookies rather than accepting the ones the replicator makes?

8. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Toss a coin to your Elnor
    Oh valley of Freecloud
    Oh valley of Freecloud
    Toss a coin to your Elnor

eschaton likes this.
  9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Elnor also always bakes his cookies right after browsing, confusing the hell out of the network?

Timo Saloniemi

fireproof78 likes this.
  10. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Elnor is the next Robau ...
    He's gonna take on Romulans with his sword, while they have energy weapons.

And probably survive! :wtf:

fireproof78 and F. King Daniel like this.
  11. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I
    I’ve met Timo. You may be right.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's gonna walk into a space battle against a whole fleet of Romulan warbirds, with only a sword and no space suit.

And he's gonna win.

fireproof78 and Blip like this.
  13. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

EXACTLY. He's a non-entity, having lived his entire life on an isolated colony world, being trained essentially as a warrior nun. It's very clear from the others' ads that Freecloud has enough data on the average citizen to somewhat tailor their ad experience; conversely Elnor's lack of an ad very clearly shows that he has no data (and likely no recognisable identity) from which to glean an appropriate topic for such advertising.

(If he'd had access to the FedNet all his life, then can you imagine the brutally honest conversations with the Nuns about his browser history, or about what he's doing in the bathroom with his PADD? :rommie:)

F. King Daniel likes this.
  14. Blip

Just throwing this out there for discussion, as the thought came to mind while discussing Elnor's apparent ineligibility to generate holo-ad revenue...

As we've seen on STP, Freecloud -and presumably plenty other locales- are able to glean enough data on Federation citizens from their FedNet presence to be able to somewhat tailor holo-ads specifically for those individuals.

Bearing in mind (as some have suggested) the late-C24th holo interfaces would need an element of solidity/haptic feedback for ease of manipulation, it's not unreasonable to imagine that the ads could be hacked to deliver something substantially more deadly than a featherlight holo-punch. Just imagine: The perfect assassin, able to travel anywhere with an ad system in place*, and then vanish into thin air once its mission is accomplished! :evil:

*In an ideal galaxy I like to think the Federation would have banned such intrusive ads from at least the major worlds, so at least there's some hope of safety without having to live as a warrior nun... :shifty:

15. Sir Stewart Wallace

Sir Stewart Wallace Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's why it's important to put your starship's ad-blocker subscription on auto-pay, and to always accept vital updates.

Kor, Romulan_spy, Blip and 2 others like this.
  16. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

And then he's going to buy drugs. He will, in point of fact, hand them a pillowcase and tell them to fill it with all the drugs.

17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just hope it isn't on Windows 10, or the whole thing will run like garbage.

Kor

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Merged...don't think we need two threads about the ads.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I don't think Freecloud was intended to be a part of Federation space. It's located in a lawless region located where the former neutral zone once was.

20. Blip

I didn't say it was; merely that they'd obviously been able to glean info on those Federation citizens from the FedNet. ;) But I'd hope that the Federation would at least keep their own core worlds ad-free.

@The Old Mixer fair enough, I did contemplate sticking it in TrekTech instead tbh... :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020