Night Court revival

I guess last night's episode was part 1 of the 2-part finale, setting up potential departures for two of the regulars. It was okay, but nothing special. Since the two in danger of leaving are Dan and Gurgs, easily the show's two biggest draws, I doubt either of them will end up going anywhere. No, if this show follows the precedent of the original, any cast departures will happen between seasons without prior setup.

I'm really annoyed at NBC.com for shrinking the picture at the start of the credits when there's still story being told. Not only that, but they only give me five seconds to move the cursor over the shrunken picture and click on it before it automatically starts playing a different show. Why do streaming sites do that??? It's obnoxious enough when it's just over the credits, but to do it while the story isn't even finished is exceptionally stupid. I wish there were a way to disable it.

I should have seen the "To Be Continued" coming a mile away.

I agree that Dan and Gurgs probably won't be going anywhere. Just as Picard ended up getting rescued and stripped of his Borg implants before it was too late, and remained captain of the Enterprise-D until its destruction.

Agreed, I can not see either of the two best and most popular characters of the show actually leaving.

I'd bet it will be more of a realization of "this is where we belong" type episode.

Do we know if 16 episodes is the season 1 order?

Agreed, I can not see either of the two best and most popular characters of the show actually leaving.

I just had the wild thought that maybe Dan's decision to become a judge was meant to set up a retool where Abby gets fired due to her legal troubles and Dan takes over as the lead character. I doubt that will happen, but I could see it happening.

I just had the wild thought that maybe Dan's decision to become a judge was meant to set up a retool where Abby gets fired due to her legal troubles and Dan takes over as the lead character. I doubt that will happen, but I could see it happening.
That concept was certainly done in the original (at least once, maybe twice).

It might make for an interesting 2-parter in S2.

That concept was certainly done in the original (at least once, maybe twice).

Huh? No, you misunderstood my hypothetical. I was talking about the possibility of a permanent, real-world retooling of the show where Melissa Rauch leaves and John Larroquette is promoted to the lead. That did not happen in the original series; Harry Anderson remained the lead throughout its run. This would be like, say, when Ron Howard left Happy Days and Henry Winkler took over as the lead for its last four seasons (since he'd been the de facto lead for a while anyway). Or like when Valerie Harper was fired from Valerie after two seasons and it became Valerie's Family: The Hogans for one season and The Hogan Family for three more.

Again, it's not something I expect to happen, just a possibility that my paranoid little mind coughed up.

I'm really annoyed at NBC.com for shrinking the picture at the start of the credits when there's still story being told. Not only that, but they only give me five seconds to move the cursor over the shrunken picture and click on it before it automatically starts playing a different show. Why do streaming sites do that??? It's obnoxious enough when it's just over the credits, but to do it while the story isn't even finished is exceptionally stupid. I wish there were a way to disable it.
Really? That sucks. The network broadcast doesn't do that.

I was talking about the possibility of a permanent, real-world retooling of the show where Melissa Rauch leaves and John Larroquette is promoted to the lead.

:crazy::ack:

Given that Melissa is an Executive Producer, and John a Producer, there would have to be a massive shake-up for either character to leave the show, unless it's entirely voluntary, which I can't see happening.

:crazy::ack:

Given that Melissa is an Executive Producer, and John a Producer, there would have to be a massive shake-up for either character to leave the show, unless it's entirely voluntary, which I can't see happening.

Yeah. As I said twice, I don't actually expect it to happen; it's just a hypothetical that popped into my head.

Although just saying someone is an executive producer doesn't really mean much, since these days that title is pretty much given to anyone who gets a cut of the profits, even if they have zero creative involvement or authority over the production.

And Roseanne Barr was an executive producer on the Roseanne revival when she was fired and it was retooled into The Conners. But then, that was because of her controversial statements in real life, and I'm not aware of any controversies involving Rauch.

Melissa's production company is the one that bought the rights to the show

Okay, that clarifies it. (Of course, sometimes rights holders have no actual involvement in production but just get paid for the use of the property, e.g. Benjamin Melniker & Michael Uslan with respect to Batman movies. But presumably that's not the case here, since Rauch is obviously directly involved with the show.)

An okay season finale. The character beats were pretty predictable, and the courtroom procedure was ridiculous, but it was nice to see Dan and Olivia overcome their instincts and stand by Abby. It was interesting to see the courtroom set redressed as the day courtroom.

It underlines how generally useless Neil has been that, while the other characters got their big moments during the trial, Neil just got a throwaway gag and was gone. I wouldn't mind if they replaced him next season.

So... that final scene.
Dan's first case in New Orleans is Roz Russell, returning from the original show. Unfortunately, they timed the credits badly, with "Guest Starring Marsha Warfield" spoiling it just before the camera revealed her. Anyway, it's a nice cliffhanger for next season. Dan and Roz had a great, rich relationship on the original show, with good chemistry (not in a romantic sense) between the actors, so there's potential for this to be good.

An okay season finale. The character beats were pretty predictable, and the courtroom procedure was ridiculous, but it was nice to see Dan and Olivia overcome their instincts and stand by Abby. It was interesting to see the courtroom set redressed as the day courtroom.

It underlines how generally useless Neil has been that, while the other characters got their big moments during the trial, Neil just got a throwaway gag and was gone. I wouldn't mind if they replaced him next season.

So... that final scene.
Dan's first case in New Orleans is Roz Russell, returning from the original show. Unfortunately, they timed the credits badly, with "Guest Starring Marsha Warfield" spoiling it just before the camera revealed her. Anyway, it's a nice cliffhanger for next season. Dan and Roz had a great, rich relationship on the original show, with good chemistry (not in a romantic sense) between the actors, so there's potential for this to be good.
Somehow I was unspoiled on that one, which is a frickin' miracle nowadays.

And mostly agreed on Neil, he could be the nuLana.

I'm up to the end of S3 of the original series, and y'know who I'd like to see? Leon, the troubled kid that Harry fostered for a bit. I'd like to see him come back as a really successful man who owes it to Harry's influence back in the day.

Barring that, the Wheelers should definitely make an appearance.

I'm up to the end of S3 of the original series, and y'know who I'd like to see? Leon, the troubled kid that Harry fostered for a bit. I'd like to see him come back as a really successful man who owes it to Harry's influence back in the day.

Bring back Bumper Robinson? Yeah, sure. Most of his acting work these days is voicing animation, but he still does live action from time to time, it seems.

Bring back Bumper Robinson? Yeah, sure. Most of his acting work these days is voicing animation, but he still does live action from time to time, it seems.
As far as recurring characters, that actor is young enough to pull it off and the character was important to Harry.

Obviously an appearance by Abby's grandfather would be epic, but John Astin is 93. IDK if he does any appearances now.

Back