Nichelle Nichols has died

I was a TNG girl when I was little, so I didn't watch TOS until I was older, which really made me appreciate a lot of things (like diversity) more than I would if I were a child. Farewell to a role-model and dear actress, may she rest in peace.

Really sad news indeed. An inspiration outside of her work on TOS thru her recruitment work for NASA, and her other endeavours as well.

Condolences to her friends and family. Another of our heroes has left us.
:( :( :( :(

She was a hell of a human, someone who took her role in a "failed" TV series and did amazing things with it. She was beautiful and talented, a woman of grace and humor, and she will never be forgotten.

Goodbye Nichelle and thank you. For everything.

Looks like Marina Sirtis

Marina Sirtis and Gates McFadden.

I see it as Sirtis' now (didn't even see McFadden's) couldn't make it out earlier, was sleepy. I have Nichols' on a picture of Uhurah in storage.

Wanted to see her in an episode off the bridge. How many episodes did see go to a planet?
Gamesters, Plato's and....?
Uhura was on the planet in "I, Mudd" and had some good scenes there.

Also, she sang in two episodes, both off-bridge (in the rec room), "Charlie X" and "Conscience of the King".

More on Uhura appearances here (The Top 10 Uhura Moments from Star Trek).

FZDfxBAWYAAXxSc.jpg

(No - I didn't create this, but I liked it, so...)

Oh, that did it.. I must have something in my eye...

Farewell.
You were an inspiration to many girls growing up (of any race). It doesn't matter that you never actually went into space. Your TV character opened up the possibility in every little girl's mind that there was a possibility of them going into space whereas NASA and no other Western organisation did at the time.
Not to mention all the other pioneering firsts you achieved.
Thank you

A ton of Trek actors have paid tribute to her -- but no word from Walter Koenig. Is he doing well? Or perhaps he's not on social media?

A ton of Trek actors have paid tribute to her -- but no word from Walter Koenig. Is he doing well? Or perhaps he's not on social media?

It's possible he had a falling out, is not on social media, or is indeed himself not well; in any case, I hope that his wife will let us know why he's not said anything.

Back