NFL Offseason Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 5, 2010.

1. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Thus far, nowhere, but I think that they might be on to something this year.

2. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh, shame and ridicule? I guess. :lol:

3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I see things turning around with McNabb...keeping key guys healthy will be paramount to having success...'Skins are deep at RB which is good.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Having an O-line would help keep him healthy. The guy used to be the scramble king, but when he thinks he has a deep pass, he'll hang onto that ball even if it means a sack (the good news is he never really tries to force it, so you won't give up too many interceptions). The bad news is he's been Donovan McGlass for the last couple of years.

5. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Kind of depends on who's calling the offense. Little Shanny likes to throw a lot. When Kubiac ran the offense in Houston, he constantly tried to run whether we had a decent running back or not. When Little Shanny started calling the plays as OC, the Texans offense went pass crazy. Of course it helps if you have Andre Johnson, which Washington doesn't have anyone close to.

I'm wondering what Washington does with Fat Albert? I hear they want him to be a nose tackle in a 3-4. That will be a disaster. Fat Albert plays hard about half of his plays and only does that about half the games he's in. :lol:

6. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Well, Marc Bulger is officially done in St. Louis.

I'm sorry it didn't work out better, and some of it (especially two seasons ago) wasn't really his fault.

Still, he's been given far more of a chance than many NFL QB's get these days. He was the starter for a long time, and our record since then is something like 50-70.

We need a fresh start, and we need to help Steven Jackson out with a reliable passing game.

7. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Brandon Marshall to the.......Dolphins?!?!

Should be interesting, good luck with all that baggage, Fins fans. Although they signed him to a massive contract, over 20 mil guaranteed, so technically he doesn't have anything to bitch about but I'm sure he'll find something. :)

8. archeryguy1701

I'm pissed. Even just the single first round pick that Denver placed on his head was way cheap in my opinion. So we release him for second round picks? I understand that McD wants to get rid of him, but at least get something for him. At a minimum, 3 first round picks and the first born son of every Dolphin player. Gah, I hope McD has a plan, because I'm starting to lose faith in his personel strategies of late. :( :mad:

9. The Great Meech

The Great Meech Vice Admiral Admiral

I've heard that Denver may try to draft Dez Bryant, widely considered the top receiver in the draft. He's fallen off some draft boards--receiver strapped Cleveland has already said they won't risk a pick on him--so Denver's got a good shot. He has so-called character issues--he's never puntucal and the NCAA suspended him last season after he lied to investigators about having dinner at Deion Sanders house (yes, really.)

The AFC East will be fun this year. A Miami with a possibly resurgent passing game, a Jets team with a weird cast of once top tier talent, a New England with, uh... no tight ends... and Buffalo has... eh, the Jets and the Dolphins will be fun to watch.

10. archeryguy1701

Unfortunately, anything that might be counted as a character issue is likely to disqualify him. McD is hellbent on implementing a specific culture into his team, so I'm not sure whether or not to hold my breath on Bryant. It is a relief that Denver at least has 2 very capable recievers in Royal and Gaffney, but someone with Marshall's capabilities will be hard to replace.

The only real advantage I can see to losing Marshall is that it might force Orton to start spreading the ball around a bit more, which will be nice. Orton needs to shake off his Chicago instincts and remember that he does have more than 1 reciever in a given game

11. JM1776

JM1776 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All intra-divisional taunting aside, Digits, if you were given decision-making power in St. Louis, what steps would you take to revivify the Rams, and how long would it take to put a viable product on the field again?

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh my god, the 49ers actually picked up the phone this week. Ted Ginn Jr. for a 5th round draft pick? I don't have a problem with that. I think he's going to make a difference in the wide out with Crabtree, but I like him because the special teams side of the ball is set. We've got our return man finally.

13. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I can't believe yall signed Mr Mittens, that being David Carr. He's pretty much worthless except as a camp arm. Actually, I feel bad for David Carr, because whatever he might have become, the Texans ruined him. He spent his formative years getting sacked like a bag of groceries and didn't have a good QB coach to help him.

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I think it would take a couple of years.

Steven Jackson is signed for four more years. He'll be 30 when his contract is up. These are the salad days. The prime of his career. The man is a goddamn monster. We need to protect him in every way possible. That means good blocking schemes, good relief, and good passing.

I am cautiously optimistic about Bradford, but I'm not 100% sold yet. I still wish we had taken Mark Sanchez when we had the chance. Bottom line is our passing game has sucked for years. Two years ago, it was offensive line injuries, but last year the line was healthy. I mean, Steven Jackson ran for 1400 yards in 15 games, on a team that was 1-15!! It was Bulger and the receivers. We got rid of Bulger, but we need help at the wide out spots. Avery and Amendola show flashes of brilliance, but must be more consistent. And tougher.

I still think there are coaching problems in St. Louis. Having watched every game over the years, it seems the Rams have more than their share of penalties and turnovers. Consistently. Linehan was a nice guy...and look where that got him. Spags needs to put his boot up a few asses.

The defense really wasn't all that bad last year. The offense put them in so many bad positions that they really never had a chance. And the games the defense kept us in (Washington, Jacksonville, Houston) the offense managed to single-handedly blow it. We've got a couple of decent young guys (Laurenitis being the stand out). We could use another DE and a shut down corner (but then again, so could most teams).

Lastly I think we need to get the sale over with and settle in with a new owner. Clean slate and all that.

Yeah, that's a lot of work. A lot of pieces to put together. But after going 6-42 over the last three seasons, there's nowhere to go but up....

:techman:

15. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

He's not. The latest details coming out are pretty disgusting. There's a good ole boy network going on in that Georgia county DA's office. The Rooneys need to get rid of Roethlisberger like yesterday.

16. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Something is fishy there, with the first officer on the scene abruptly resigning. Just because there are no legal charges doesn't mean the team/league can't suspend him for tarnishing their image.

New England with not much of anything really.

17. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

The first officer on the scene who interviewed Roethlisberger is, apparently, his buddy. He called the accuser a "fucking bitch" to other officers according to police reports. The gir's friends, who have given their names to media, are saying they tried to get to her in the bathroom but Ben's bodyguards blocked their path--all according to police report. That's unsettling. Supposedly Ben exposed himself in the nightclub. They were going to look at security cameras from the nightclub and look at general behavior--but the tapes were "accidentally recorded over" at the police station.

Uh huh. :rolleyes: The tapes conveniently being recorded over and the first officer interviewing Roethlisberger being his buddy--that tells me all I need to know. Good ole boyism is alive and well in that Georgia county. And, supposedly, there's a third potential incident besides this one and the first one out west that a pi was looking into privately. The Rooneys better do something. That's creepy. If they're going to suspend Vick from the league for dogs before a conviction (as well they should have, don't get me wrong, Vick's an asshole) they'd better do something about this. They're between a rock and a hard place because there won't be charges, but attacking women not being as serious as dog fighting? What's a little rape? Bitch is someone else's daughter and she had a phony ID so she must have had it coming. Ben Roethlisberger has a 20 year old sister. Her name's Carly. She plays for the Oklahoma Sooner basketball team. Wonder how he'd feel is she got dragged into a bathroom by one of his teammates?

18. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Seems the Steelers are offering him out, according to www.rotoworld.com

Very interesting. Hope he goes to San Fran. :)

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope. Don't want Rothlesburger. Would rather have Clausen if he falls to 13.

20. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Despite all the rumors flying about Big Ben, it's interesting to see how innocent until proven guilty is thrown out the window so readily.

I always have a hard time believing people who accuse celebrities. I'm not saying celebrities are always innocent, but they are easy targets for someone trying to make a buck.

So, flame away.