NFL Football 2009

Meh, most of the time, teams don't really care that much about whether they're seeded #3 or #4.

Let's say NE and Cincy both win their wild card games, then upset the big boys in the divisional round. Wouldn't you rather be the 3 seed hosting the AFC title game?

Meh, most of the time, teams don't really care that much about whether they're seeded #3 or #4.

Let's say NE and Cincy both win their wild card games, then upset the big boys in the divisional round. Wouldn't you rather be the 3 seed hosting the AFC title game?

Someone on the NFL SIRRUS show I listened to, a Bengal fan, was talking about that exact scenerio. Was that you?

Rob

I'm a Pats fan. Different team, same scenario.

Oh..my bad.

I don't mean to be cold, but I hope your team loses in the first round. The Chargers just can't be the Patriots, even one that is in Transition like this one, so I'd rather not have any part of Brady/Bellichick!

Rob

I think it's absolutely imperative a team tries for a higher seed when possible. I know it was brought up a bit earlier, but the best example I can remember is the 2006 playoffs, where the Colts played every starter to win their last regular-season game in order to lock up the 3 seed. The AFC title game ended up in Indy, not New England, due to that effort. A 3/4 title game may be unlikely, but it's certainly not impossible or improbable. New England knows that and will go for the win to lock that 3 seed up; if then seeds are set, Cincinnati will rest players.

I think it's absolutely imperative a team tries for a higher seed when possible. I know it was brought up a bit earlier, but the best example I can remember is the 2006 playoffs, where the Colts played every starter to win their last regular-season game in order to lock up the 3 seed. The AFC title game ended up in Indy, not New England, due to that effort. A 3/4 title game may be unlikely, but it's certainly not impossible or improbable.

It's not impossible, but it is improbable. I think that 2006 AFC Championship game is the only such #3/#4 conference championship for either conference in the last 10 years. That would be 1 out of the last 20 or so conference championships in which being #3 or #4 made any difference in the number of home or away games. That's why many teams in the past have in fact rested starters if the only thing at stake was the difference between #3 or #4.

Currently, there aren't five QBs in the league who should start over Kurt Warner ... and that guy in purple and yellow ain't one of 'em.

There's team pride in your QB and then there is....well, this.

Warner is great, get back to me when he's won 3 league MVPs. Don't be silly. Team pride, have it. Stay objective though.

You do realize that Warner's won two league MVP's, right, both of which came after Favre's in the mid-90's? In other words, he's been better more recently. Favre, by the way, has three MVPs in nineteen years, while Warner's got two in eleven—which is a comparable, and actually somewhat better, rate of achievement.

Kurt Warner's also third in career passer rating (behind two guys of whom you may have heard, Steve Young and Peyton Manning), with a number near 94, which is just short of astonishing. Favre is 15th, topping out at just over 85—an excellent achievement, but well behind Warner. Kurt has a better touchdown-to-interception ratio than Favre, a higher completion percentage, has won as many Super Bowls, appeared in more of them, and has led two different teams to the big game ... one of which I've been informed (by idiots) had no business being there—which means my guy, in some measure, took them on his back and got them there.

In short, the places in which Favre outdoes Warner relate mostly to longevity—admirable, that, of course. But those in which Warner outpoints Favre go more to competency.

You're welcome to prefer Favre all you like, and it's not unreasonable. The idea that he's clearly objectively much better than Warner as a player is so laughable I don't even feel the need to address it further.

And on intangibles, well ... it's become apparent that Favre's egomania and sense of self-entitlement has overwhelmed him. [That "I'm just a shitkicker good-ol'-boy who wantsa play some bawl" is now nothing more than a PR facade, and probably always was.] It cost the Jets in some measure last year, and Minnesota is starting to crumble now—a pair of late-season collapses which have become this guy's pattern. [Just ask Green Bay about that.] I prefer someone who does his job brilliantly and keeps his piehole shut. That ain't Brett Favre.

I'd take Kurt Warner over Brett Favre for my team five times a week ... and twice on Sundays and Mondays, when it really counts. But I certainly acknowledge that such is in large measure personal stylistic preference.

You like the gunslinger. I much prefer the surgeon. They both have their high points ... but don't dream that your boy is a lot better than mine, or should start over him, because the facts show that it just ain't so.

Last edited:
Kind of surprised that Denver is going to bench WR Brandon Marshall and TE Tony Sheffler when they're in the thick of things. I can understand wanting to discipline players, but that could potentially hurt the entire team.

Brett Favre is better than Kurt Warner, I'm a Bears fan and I recognize that. :lol: Kurt went through a couple of mediocre years where he wasn't even the best quarterback on his team, losing his job to Marc Bulger...then losing his job in NY to Eli Manning... then losing his job in Arizona to Josh McCown.... then to Matt Leinart.

Right. Keep in mind that Warner has only played a full season's worth of games in five of his eleven years in the league.

I'm a Pats fan. Different team, same scenario.

Oh..my bad.

I don't mean to be cold, but I hope your team loses in the first round. The Chargers just can't be the Patriots, even one that is in Transition like this one, so I'd rather not have any part of Brady/Bellichick!

Rob

I'm no Chargers fan. I find Rivers to be a hothead that's hard to root for. But I've had the same foot problems as LT over the years (2 surgeries for me), so he's OK in my book.

We'll just have to see how it works itself out on the field should they meet in a couple weeks. I'd prefer if the Pats faced Indy though. I love the drama, plus I think they'd have a better chance. SD scares me right now.

I think it's absolutely imperative a team tries for a higher seed when possible. I know it was brought up a bit earlier, but the best example I can remember is the 2006 playoffs, where the Colts played every starter to win their last regular-season game in order to lock up the 3 seed. The AFC title game ended up in Indy, not New England, due to that effort. A 3/4 title game may be unlikely, but it's certainly not impossible or improbable. New England knows that and will go for the win to lock that 3 seed up; if then seeds are set, Cincinnati will rest players.

I agree with you. I know Belichick is typically a go for it sort of coach, and I hope they do tomorrow. Plus it's nice to enter the playoffs on a high note.

If they win, then go ahead and rest your starters Cincy. If not, I would rather see them go for it.

I'm a Pats fan/Colts hater, but as a fan of the game was disgusted by the way they rolled over last week.

The Saints lost it fair and square, Indy bent over and took it.

Brett Favre is better than Kurt Warner; I'm a Bears fan and I recognize that. :lol:

If you're a Bears fan, at this point you're lucky you recognize a quarterback, let alone which are better. :devil:

And I'm sure that most would agree with you concerning Favre and Warner. I've never, though, been much concerned with the majority opinion.

But even if he is better, which I don't for a nanosecond concede, it's beyond asinine to imply he's much better.

I might make this distinction: Favre is a better football player and gamer. Warner is a better quarterback, passer ... and, from what we've been hearing of late, teammate.

Last edited:
For the first time in their history, the Texans are playing for a shot at the playoffs. They have to beat the Pats and hope for help from other teams to make it. But hey, at least they are shooting for their first winning record in franchise history. It's been a long eight years for us Texan fans. :lol:

I think the Texans have a solid core for a very good team. We are a running back and a safety/corner away. Schaub has turned out to be a good QB and Andre Johnson is a beast. Brian Cushing will be our second defensive rookie of the year, and plays along side our first, Demeco Ryans, both of which are going to the pro bowl. We got some damn good linebackers. :)

Today, the Philadelphia Eagles take on evil incarnate. There was something on ESPN today talking about the rivalry (especially in the 80s with Buddy Ryan, the Bounty Bowl, the Snow Bowl, the Scab Game, etc). This game has led to ugliness, awesomeness, and the rise of political careers. It's definitely going to be a fun game.

Go Lions! Get win #3 for the year. If they get it they'll have a halfway respectable 3-5 home record for the year. Not good, but a step in the right direction.

But a Lions loss could give them the #1 pick in the draft.

Pat White went down in the Miami-Pittsburgh game. Time for some third string QB action!

You do realize that Warner's won two league MVP's, right, both of which came after Favre's in the mid-90's? In other words, he's been better more recently. Favre, by the way, has three MVPs in nineteen years, while Warner's got two in eleven—which is a comparable, and actually somewhat better, rate of achievement.

So by that same standard, a head coach who is 1-1 in Super Bowls is better than a head coach who is 1-3 in Super Bowls because 50% is better than 25%?

I'm considering becoming a Cowboys fan, looks like they are pretty good this year and I have to pick a horse for the playoffs sometime. What do you guys think, ok bandwagon choice? :D

Back