MLB Offseason 2023-24: The $700 Million Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timby

The stoicism of the true warrior
Administrator
My friends, my associates, my countrymen, baseball is over. The Texas Rangers are the world champions for the first time in their history. Bruce Bochy has won his fourth championship as manager. The cold weather is beginning to set in.

Now, my friends, let us gather around the hot stove and keep warm through the winter.

IMPORTANT DATES

11/6:
Free agents are now officially allowed to sign places! Also any contract options (player, club, vesting, mutual, etc.) must be exercised or declined by this day at the latest. So this is the actual real "start" of the offseason for the purposes of ~tHe HoT sToVe~

11/5-11/16: All the various awards (GG, SS, MVP, Cy Young, etc.) will get announced during this window. Check out MLB's page here for specific dates: https://www.mlb.com/awards/2023 Preemptive congratulations to Cody Bellinger of the Chicago Cubs for his Comeback Player of the Year award.
emot-toot.gif

11/7-11/9: GM Meetings, which are not the Winter Meetings™, please get it right. You might see some of the earliest FA deals happen here, but probably nothing major.

11/14: Deadline for players hit with the QO to accept or decline. Also, the last day for teams to set their 40-man for the purposes of the Rule 5 draft. Can't let Sleve McDichael go unprotected!

11/17: Deadline to tender arb-eligible players. That's right, you, too might get to experience the joys of watching your team non-tender a future postseason legend so your team's poor, destitute, downtrodden owner can save a couple mil!

12/3-12/6: The Winter Meetings™, which get hyped up every year as being the nexus of the Deal Zone™ but usually are kind of a dud. All the GMs go meet in one place (but it's not the GM Meetings, get it right!) and a bunch of players and agents go there too. Some guys might sign! Most will not! Exciting!

12/5: The dumb-as-shit MLB draft lottery, which is completely unnecessary, but, hey, look at us, kids, we're like basketball now, engagement! Algorithm!

12/6: Rule 5 Draft, where your team is guaranteed to lose a player you're sure is going to be a future star and pick up a player you're sure is dogshit garbage.

1/12: Last date for teams and players to file arb numbers. Most players will come to terms and that will be that, but a few will get dragged into arb hearings over like $250K and get really salty over it on Twitter. Drama!

2/13: Spring Training begins! Well, kind of. This is just pitchers and catchers reporting, but still! Baseball!

2/22: Spring Training actually begins! Come down to beautiful Arizona or tune in from home to watch all your favorite players get like 1 IP or 1 AB and then get subbed out for Willie Dustice and Rey McSriff the rest of the way.

3/28: Baseball is BACK.

STORYLINES TO WATCH

- Where the hell is Shohei Ohtani going? He wants to win, and he has been reported to be leaving the Angels. The Seattle Mariners are an option, because of the history they have with Japanese players (and, previously, Japanese ownership), but their owners are very cash-cautious. The Yankees and Red Sox want him, but they're both trying to limit payroll. The Padres have been reported to be in, but they're incredibly cash-poor and probably can't afford him, since they want to unload Juan Soto as they begin a restructuring year. The Dodgers are the perpetual wild card and ... well, I have a hard time imagining Andrew Friedman not handing Ohtani a blank check.

- Cody Bellinger. Comeback Player of the Year. The Cubs gave him a prove-it one-year contract, and, hoo boy, did he prove it. He's still 29, and he's shown that he can still be a great defender in center and an absolute magician at 1st. The Cubs have their outfield figured out, more or less, with Happ in left, Suzuki in right and hopefully Pete Crow-Armstrong in center. But he had a wonderful year and a ton of teams can use a player like him. Don't get cheap, Tom Ricketts.

- The FUCK are the Yankees doing? I don't have much more to say on the subject than that.

Let us huddle 'round the fire and stay warm. Pitchers and catchers report in just a few short months.

MLB might have wrapped up for now in the U.S. and in Canada, yet there are still plenty of innings to be played in professional baseball leagues elsewhere in the world.

Over in NPB, the Hanshin Tigers lead the Japan Series by three games to two over the Orix Buffaloes, in the Kansai Derby. All the Tigers need is one more win to banish the Curse of the Colonel... so long as they can secure it, that is.

Also, the ABL is set to kick off... er, get started Down Under. Albeit with only six teams this time around - all of which are in Australia, as their sole New Zealand team folded during the off-season.

-----

It's a shame that there is no equivalent of the FIFA Club World Cup in baseball, in order to formally crown a "true" club World Champion. Even the Asia Series has long since fallen by the wayside, alas.

Still, at least the World Baseball Classic exists to designate a world champion for national teams...

Last edited:
The Cubs don't have a great option at 1B other than Belli, so I'd say give him a 2-3 year contract and see if Mervis or Young can get better there.

Candelario & Madrigal platooning at 3B would be the best option, if Candy can stay healthy and hit better.

Just give Amaya the C job. Gomes can get the occasional clutch hit, but looks like an amateur behind the plate at times.

A couple starting pitchers and a few quality bullpen guys would help a lot, that way Ross doesn't grind the same 3 or 4 guys into the ground.

Bellinger has, as expected, declined his $25 million option and is going to free agency.

So long, Cody. :(

Marcus Stroman has opted out after 2 years as a Cub.

The Reds declined to pick up Joey Votto's $20M option and gave him a $7M buyout. Dude's been injured a lot in recent years, he might think about retiring after 17 seasons.

2135 hits, 1144 walks (OBP .409) and a career .294 BA and 356 HRs, is he HoF worthy?

Marcus Stroman has opted out after 2 years as a Cub.

I liked him as a rookie when he came up with the Jays, but then it became all about him and how great he was. Outside of a 13-9 with a 3.09 ERA in 2017, he has been middling at best, definitely not the next coming of Tom Seaver or something.

When the World Series ends I think the exciting part begins. That's not to say I don't enjoy the WS, because I do, even if this world series was a little boring. It's just that all the teams are open for Business and the Giants have a lot of stuff they can do, especially with Melvin as manager. I don't expect an Ohtani signing, but Bellinger to the Giants would be a dream. Looking forward to the offseason news and then Pitchers and Catchers.

Cubs Gold Glove winners: Happ (LF), Hoerner (2B) & Swanson (SS). Best middle infield combo in the game, if nothing else :lol:

The defense was never our problem, the entire batting order going to sleep and inconsistent pitching was.

Stephen Vogt, who has literally a year of coaching experience, is the new manager in Cleveland.

Okay.

Craig Counsell leaves the Brewers to manage the Cubs.

Mets are hiring longtime Yankees coach Carlos Mendoza, most recently their bench coach, as manager.

It's almost...almost like the Cubs finally want to win instead of coasting off 2016.

The Cubs haven't been coasting off of 2016 since Theo sold off everything that wasn't bolted to the walls in July 2021. Oh, lord, that was a bad way to spend my birthday.

Ross got Renteriarolled.

That was kind of my exact reaction, because it's almost entirely the same situation: In 2014, Renteria had been told that his job was safe, then Maddon suddenly hit the market and Theo and Jed were all, "Hit the bricks, Ricky." Nine years later, Ross had been told his job was safe, then Counsell hit the market and Jed and Carter were all, "Later, grandpa."

The Cubs haven't been coasting off of 2016 since Theo sold off everything that wasn't bolted to the walls in July 2021. Oh, lord, that was a bad way to spend my birthday.

That was kind of my exact reaction, because it's almost entirely the same situation: In 2014, Renteria had been told that his job was safe, then Maddon suddenly hit the market and Theo and Jed were all, "Hit the bricks, Ricky." Nine years later, Ross had been told his job was safe, then Counsell hit the market and Jed and Carter were all, "Later, grandpa."
As long as the fans kept coming to Wrigley, with or without a fire sale and with a couple good signings, it was coasting in my book. No effort to make improvements when they needed them.

I've called the last few years the "Tribune Era 2.0" since it reminded me so much of the first Tribune Era :barf:

As long as the fans kept coming to Wrigley, with or without a fire sale and with a couple good signings, it was coasting in my book. No effort to make improvements when they needed them.

I've called the last few years the "Tribune Era 2.0" since it reminded me so much of the first Tribune Era :barf:

They are milking the cash cow for free, why 'work' at it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back