New Star Trek Series 2009 or 2010????

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by MetalHeavyFreak, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, because you don't want to watch any Trek other than TOS they shouldn't make a show that other people might enjoy watching? :vulcan:

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is Trekdom - it is a hilarious irony that Roddenberry's vision of a utopian future where everybody gets along isn't even realised among fans of the shows he helped create! For my part I'd be quite happy to see a reasonably decent cartoon set during the Prime Universe's second 5 year mission.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the studio is smart they'll stay off TV for another five years at least.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be happy with anything in the Prime verse. I may not have liked Voyager and only found Enterprise to be okay at best but I have no interest in watching anything set in what's basically a mirror universe.

5. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Well, it's good to know you've got an open mind.

Heh.

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New Trek series in 2010 confirmed!!

7. NIUPonyBoy

NIUPonyBoy Captain Captain

Confirmed by what?

8. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lol - I think he was being facetious - i.e. the studio ISN'T smart...

9. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, thats kind of how i feel, although i would LOVE to see something here and now. But the realist in me thinks there needs to be some more time in between....and some more movies as well.

10. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hollywood studios are certainly smart enough to know when they need to jump on a bandwagon. I'm thinking about a fraction of nuBSG's 2 million or so viewers getting all bitter and whiney about Bryan Singer being handed the keys to Glen Larson's baby, hopefully taking it in a different direction. The reverse can be true of Star Trek. All a TV series needs to do is hold its own and be different enough in tone to JJ Abrams' version. It would have zero effect on what is a rare event for folks like me, going to the cinema. A feature-film carries different objectives than keeping a core of regular viewers happy week after week.

11. david g

david g Commodore Commodore

It's so obvious--why not do a Christopher Pike series? It would be so much fun.

12. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

I hope you're wrong. I would love to see JJA stay in charge of films while Frakes and Burton head up TV Trek. I'd love to see a miniseries or even an animated weekly series that takes place in the late 24th or early 25th century.

13. spoonunseptium

spoonunseptium Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I used to be abhorred by the idea of an animated series, and I never saw the TOS animated series, but lately I've been thinking that if the artwork was done really well and it didn't look like a Cartoon Network/saturday-morning-cartoons type animation and instead had maybe a little cinemtographical influence, I could get into it.

Like, it has to look good for me to like it. Part of me is afraid it'll look/feel like batman & spiderman and other superhero type cartoons. It needs to be like the quality that good anime shows have, with all the depth and texture of something like Elfen Lied. Except I don't like anime and I don't exactly like the style of anime, but you get what I mean. Appreciable quality.

egh. I sound all particular and stuff.

14. Drogo

Drogo Lieutenant Commander

Some times some what popular movies to do not translate well to TV. Look at Treminator for an example. Or the X-Men, Spiderman, Supermn or even James Bond.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there's also the fact that I predicted on this board that the next new Trek production was almost certainly years away - about two weeks before the Abrams Trek project was announced. :lol:

16. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I waited 18 years between series (TOS-TNG), and was pretty disappointed. I don't mind waiting a long, long time as long as the new series is any good. I doubt that the powers-that-be are eager to rush any new series onto the small screen as long as there's a big-screen market.

There are what, 700+ hours of Star Trek already in syndication?

17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

I doubt we'll get a new Star Trek series for a while because of the same reason Warner Bros. hasn't done a live-action Batman series: having a television series will dilute the feeling of eventfulness when there's a new movie.

It looks like with science-fiction in general, not just Star Trek, there's more interest in watching a movie for two hours than watching a series every week.

Think of all the sci-fi movies that have been released in the past 10 years. How would most of them have done if they were TV series instead?

18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

VulcanVixen might be right that a new series will flop. DS9 and VOY started with TNG's audience. ENT started with TNG's audience that stuck through DS9 and/or VOY or still whoever cared enough to chek out ENT after taking a break from the previous two series. The audiences diminished with each new series. With every new crew, people cared less and less to the point where ENT, which happened to be the last in the list of series, was cancelled.

It was hard enough to sustain interest in five crews, we don't know if there's room for a sixth or how much time will pass before there is.

There's no doubt that part of Star Trek (2009)'s success was due to familiarity. They updated what the audience already felt they kinda-sorta-knew.

At this point, I think having a sixth series that's successful is a shot in the dark. It could be the next Smallville... or the next Birds of Prey.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2009
  19. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When someone comes up with a good enough idea, I'd hope. My gut feeling is that there probably will be a new series, but not for a few years. Star Trek was a success at the box office and the franchise is on something of a high, but another successful film would probably do it more good right now than a new series only four years after Enterprise was cancelled.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO TALK ABOUT IT!!! :mad:

No, really... don't. They're watching us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.