New Space Combat Game Announced - Star Wars: Squadrons

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by JD, Jun 16, 2020.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Mads Mikkelsen should be Thrawn in one of these games

3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Only if they are set during the events of Star Wars: Rebels (up to maybe six months or a year before the Battle of Yavin), or they bring him back in say The Mandalorian. But if they did that, the story would be set four or more years after Star Wars: Squadrons, which takes place in the year after the Battle of Endor.

4. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

The fact that this game has full VR support has piqued my interest, as I own a PSVR headset.

5. Ithekro

So far the story has been interesting. The game play is very similar to TIE Fighter. I think I can get it even closer if I check the keybinding options to fit it out more to my tastes.

Having tried the other game modes as of yet. I did find that my joystick is a few buttons short of what they game desires. My mouse has the buttons it wants, but it is awkward. I will need to change the keybinding to fix this.

6. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The keybinding menu is a little tricky (I didn't like that it automatically cleared conflicts if I changed a binding, so I didn't get to see what the game thought deserved a flightstick button and had to figure it out on my own if I "stole" a button). I'm also not a fan of the left auxiliary/right auxiliary default setup, since my stick has a hatswitch on the left, a "missile" button in the center, and another button on the right. The way I've set it up, "left auxiliary" is the center button and should be a weapon, but the default loadouts usually make it a support function, like auto-repair. I can switch it around so it's the way I like in multiplayer, but it might be an issue if I replay the campaign or they release more single-player missions.

I was able to get everything I needed on my HOTAS setup, it helps that the game has so many "combo" controls where one button can do multiple things (likely for the benefit of the console players), though it took me a while to track down the one for angling deflector shields/concentrating power. I definitely like the stripped-down take on the fiddly X-Wing game mechanics, I actually have a decent handle on how to shift around power as I'm flying, which I never figured out when I was little and playing the old games.

7. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

Having just finished the single player story mode, what's there is fantastic there just isn't anywhere near enough of it for my liking.

8. David cgc

Agreed. And as fun as the multiplayer mode is, it is kind of same-y with only a half-dozen maps and two possible scenarios. I know EA isn't traditionally big on mods, but it'd be nice if they had a level editor or something. I know it's a different world than the '90s, where you'd get one game and play it to death for months, but space-combat-simulators are a fairly thin genre, so it could probably support a campaign as long as those of the original X-Wing and TIE Fighter games.

Still, while it's was all certainly finalized before the game was even released, there was some small content added to it today, with some new wing decals and cockpit cosmetics added to the game to promote the second season of The Mandalorian. The decals are a mudhorn for the Republic and the mythosaur logo for the Empire, while the cosmetics a dangle (Razor Crest model for the Republic, Beskar ingot for the Empire), a statue (Baby Yoda for the Republic, IG-droid for the Empire) and a hologram (a Blurrg for the Republic, and a bounty poster for a Rodian for the Empire).

kz5lg6vy3hv51.jpg

publiusr and ScottJ85 like this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

publiusr likes this.
  10. David cgc

That's genuinely shocking. Delightful, but shocking.

I'm interested in what the various exclusive auxiliaries will be for the B-Wing and Defender. I noticed the support ships had a tractor beam projector similar to the one the Defender had in the original TIE Fighter game, and, of course, the Bomber class have the mini-superlaser from the B-Wing prototype on Rebels.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  11. Ithekro

B-wing and TIE Defender. Now we are talking.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It says the B-Wing has the gyrostabilization feature for the cockpit that allows the ship to rotate independently from the cockpit, I wonder how that's going to work in the game.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The PS4 version of Squadrons is on sale on Amazon.com for only $16.99, and $19.99 for the XBox One version. I ordered a PS4 copy this morning.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Squadrons this morning, and I really enjoyed it. It had a great story, and I thought it was especially cool getting to see both sides of the story, the New Republic, and the Empire.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020