New Short Trek: Ask Not

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by antinoos, Nov 6, 2019.

?

How Would You Rate "Ask Not"?

Poll closed Nov 14, 2020.
  1. 10

9.2%
  2. 9

5.3%
  3. 8

30.3%
  4. 7

26.3%
  5. 6

7.9%
  6. 5

10.5%
  7. 4

5.3%
  8. 3

1.3%
  9. 2

1.3%
  10. 1

2.6%
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I forgot the rating. I'll give it a 5. No where near as interesting as some of the other Short Treks.

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I give it a resounding 'meh'.

Too short and too generic. I really hope this isn't the last we see of Mount and Co.

pst likes this.
  3. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be honest I feel that certain critics of discovery would be hypocritically fine with a pike series being a bit loose with Canon because its a show they support

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I’d only be interested if it is written a lot better than Discovery. Canon plays no factor in it. The character would need to be more Colin Bohannon and less Generic Starfleet Captain #47. Mount did what he could with the material he was given, but what he was given was pretty lackluster.

5. Pure Antiproton

Pure Antiproton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Enjoyed it. A 7 from me. Although it was good it’s my least favorite Short Trek due to its short length and not enough time to really build tension. I guessed the emotional ending test pretty early on.

Anson Mount’s Pike is something to behold. They write his character great, but seems he really brings a lot extra to the character. I’d watch many seasons of Trek with him as my captain.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am fairly certain that for a large portion of critics you would be right, however, there would still be complaints about canon status and set design or whatnot.

I think Mount is one of the best things to happen to Discovery, besides SMG, Doug Jones and Jason Issacs. Mount did great and would love to see more of him. But, that doesn't mean people wouldn't still complain...what are you going to do? :sigh::shrug:

[​IMG]

urbandk likes this.
  7. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's because it is.

It's 3-D using toon shaders.

8. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

They packed a lot into the 9+ min run time.

I liked this way better than the awkward Tribbles short, which honesty did nothing for me.

Midquest likes this.
  9. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I knew there was something fishy going on. Why would the Tholians be interested in the Enterprise?

I wish they would stop with those unnecessary visual effects for things that don’t need it. What’s wrong with just a hood over his head.

Nenya likes this.
  10. Rainard Fox

Rainard Fox Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hits me in the heart! Hate all sort of exams & never was good on recognising a lie, so feel Sidhu's doubts very well. It's sweet that captain apologies after test ended despite of he doesn't have to.

Anson Mount is outstanding actor! He is able to portray Pike as a good actor too but just good, not great. Absolutely pretty moments when Pike slightly overacts, depicting a prisoner still considering himself entitled to give orders, and then bad officer trying intimidate the cadet. (I sure if Pike's imprisoning was real, he would had better explanation of it and more compelling reasons for guards to collaborate :lol:)

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

This about sums up my feelings as well.

Seemed like a waste of Pike and to a lesser extent Number One and Spock on a non-story, since nothing actually happened except a newb was given a pop quiz and then welcomed to the ship. It was obviously all a simulation from the start so there was no suspense, and as soon as they go to engineering and the actual real stuff starts happening it was already over.

CorporalClegg likes this.
  12. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

It was OK, gave it a 6. The first Short Trek this season (Q&A) was really good. The last 2 have been kind of disappointing. But still looking forward to the animated ones and the Picard one.

13. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gentleman connoisseur of trek such as yourself were not who I meant :) I was talking more about the Nerdrotics and Midnight edger's out there who seem to think a show about the Enterprise with a male lead will bring back the Berman glory days

BillJ likes this.
  14. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Good grief - who comes up with these? I haven't enjoyed any of them (save for Calypso), but this stands out as the worst.

1/5

I am intrigued by the upcoming animated Short Treks, though.

15. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

She was lucky she got Pike. I could see many people failing if Kirk was the prisoner.

kitik, Alan Roi, Ronald Held and 2 others like this.
  16. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

True. Kirk would have talked her into leading the mutiny herself

Phoenix219, kitik and Alan Roi like this.
  17. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, Kirk would have seduced her.

18. ToyBoxComix

ToyBoxComix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I gave it a 6. It was a good idea, but it just went by too fast for me to feel any real tension. If it had been 5 or 10 minutes longer, it could have really given us a chance to get to know Cadet Sidhu and explored her thought processes and any internal conflict that she might have had.

When the test was over, there was no lingering trauma. Sidhu was just, like, okie-dokie, that was a thing. Next scene. It went straight from conflict to denouement without any catharsis. As personal as the test was, it needed an emotional release that wasn't there.

lawman, eschaton and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

+1 :)

CorporalClegg likes this.
  20. Rainard Fox

Rainard Fox Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If it was longer I'd lose my sanity :-)

Sidhu had a serious trauma in her past. The new threat could retraumatise her. Or not, if she is mentally stable (not like Burnham). In comparsion with her real experience the simulation is a kid's game. Contrariwise she must feel a big relief knowing the truth: "OMG it was just a test! There's no real menace! My husband wasn't in mortal danger! Legendary captain isn't a mutineer! I did everything right! I will serve on ENTERPRISE!". Good reason for smiling.

antinoos likes this.