New Series Potentials?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Ometiklan, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

Based on news I have seen lately on how uninterested CBS is in getting a new tv show (and that there will be a 4th alt-universe/underverse movie), I find the following potential to practically non-existant, but...

Some person (named "The Fox") over on Darkhorizons commented that Doug Drexler is involved in a new series to be announced in September but that he is under a non-disclosure agreement. Apparently the proof was an image of Doug with some of the people involved, which was then deleted.

The Fox also mentioned a rumor that Ron Moore is involved developing another series. While I thought Ron's comments from back in the day about why DS9 worked and how Voyager didn't have direction were spot on, I can't see him involved in any new Star Trek - he just seems like he has moved on to new focii.

So, long story short, I don't believe a word of this "rumor" but I figured I would check and see if anyone had heard about any of this?

2. Autistoid

Autistoid Captain

With announcement of the fourth movie I think the chances are actually pretty dam low as of now.

Best chance for the ST right now is if star trek see competition in terms of upper tier television.

I think if another star trek rip off comes about and jeopardizes the value of the star trek brand maybe they might think to do something but I cant see that happening within the next 3-4 years.

Its been made clear that they are chasing avengers and star wars with the movies, which will have a very obvious ending.

3. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They all end up in a diner eating some sort of Eastern European fast food? :lol:

But yeah, sadly agree, no new series in the foreseeable future...:(

4. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't. I'm pretty sure this is Fred Archer/Jake. This is the same guy who claims to be an insider and knew about these so-called twelve different pitches that CBS had and would pick two of them for new series in 2016. He also continues to claim that Trek Beyond has no budget (despite filming obviously going on) and that private investors (including our very own Dennis [which Dennis denied]) have been keeping production afloat. He stated that it would be nothing but a fan film because CBS hates the new movies and wrote a memo "decanonizing" them. He also claimed that Paramount and Bad Robot took this to some secret court in Los Angeles where all of this strange litigation regarding the movie is heard. (Never mind the fact that most litigation is public record and it would be all over the news.)

In other words, I wouldn't believe a word he says.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Never say never. Just cos there are a couple of batshit crazy fans spewing nonsense doesn't mean that somewhere out there there are real plans for a new series, or that people aren't working hard to fix the legal quandary (supposedly) preventing one. You never know.

7. Campe

Oh, don't mistake me. I firmly believe there will be a new series. It's less a matter of if and more a matter of when. I will be surprised if we see it before 2018 though. (More likely 2020.)

8. BillJ

I don't think there is a legal quandary. CBS owns Trek and can create a series anytime they like. The "legal quandary" is a fiction created to explain why they're wrong every time their date a new series is supposed to be announced passes without a peep from CBS.

9. Campe

I think these are the legal issues that King Daniel speaks of. This is an interview with two people from Skydance Productions, which co-produces the nuTrek film. While many other topics are discussed, the idea of a series is discussed and the answer is basically broken down to: "The exact status of it is absolutely something being worked on."

The point of my initial response was: Don't believe anything Fred Archer/Jake/The Fox says. While there may be something in the works, he's known for pulling things out of the sky and calling it fact.

10. BillJ

I'm still not sure the rights are really the issue. Abrams was going to be able to do a multi-media venture (including a TV series) but it went kaput over rights fees CBS was collecting from TOS licensees.

I think the rights issue is: CBS has the right to not do a TV series and is executing that right. CBS owns all the trademarks to Star Trek.

11. Campe

Maybe. That's the problem. You hear about Abrams' plans being denied because of merchandise. You hear about this story from Skydance about rights issues. Really? Two, not necessarily conflicting stories, but stories that do rub up against each other a bit. What exactly are we supposed to believe?

I think it's fairly safe to say: At this point in time, if there are any plans for a new Star Trek series, they are being kept under wraps.

ETA: Also, that story re: the merchandise deal came from some mysterious "source." It was never confirmed anywhere. At least there are names to go along with the Skydance sources.

12. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Deleted

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015