News New Looney Tunes from Warner Brothers animation

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Turtletrekker, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, first rate re-scoring of the theme music! :bolian: Incidental music is rock solid, too. The animation looks flawless, definitely lacks the issues 35mm filming would incur but feels germane to the lore and, even more (positively) striking, the time period in which the golden age of Bugs Bunny cartoons were made in. Nothing feels forced or contrived. In a word, it feels... authentic. Kudos. :luvlove:

Random_Spock likes this.
  2. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Do we want them to know? :devil:

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a wee tyke, I associated a scythe as being that "thing" the Grim Reaper carried long before I learned it was a farming tool...and I'm 56. I don't think I saw a scythe outside of that metaphorical context until I moved to southern Georgia in 1977 when I got to see farms for the first time.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think people who don't know a scythe by name would still be able to tell it was a sharp bladed weapon, so the point (no pun intended) would still get across.

5. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I guess I should have added an emoticon there, as some of you apparently didn't realize I was kidding.

6. Christopher

Sometimes what you think is a silly question may turn out to have a serious answer, and that's not a bad thing because you can discover things you didn't expect.

Indeed, I was thinking the same as Redfern -- my main referent for the idea of a scythe is probably the Grim Reaper image. I'm not sure when I learned what they're really for (farm implements, right?).

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes I had farmland/Old West Playmobil figures that came with scythes.

Kor

8. comics1996

comics1996 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I wish they would have Elmer with a gun and bugs using something else beside dynamite. For a person in their early 20's I don't think that humour has changed that much. Heck just look up videos kids response to loony tunes cartoons.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, the Grim Reaper image is how I've come to associate the Scythe. I probably wouldn't have known it was even farming related if it weren't for depictions of it being used on TV.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So, anyone heard anything about release dates?

It's been four months and these are apparently all finished, so I wonder why we haven't heard any more so far.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It just seems bizarre to me that we care enough about violence to remove guns, but not enough that we don’t replace it with far crueler means of killing animals.

12. Christopher

As I said before, the censors are concerned with kids imitating what they see. So it's not a question of how violent the weapon is, but of how likely it is that a child might have access to the weapon.

13. JirinPanthosa

They have sticks, kitchen knives and tape, do they not?

Whatever the motive it’s openly hypocritical at worst, and brazenly dismissive of logical consistency at best.

14. Christopher

I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just explaining what their thinking is. This has been part of kids' show censorship policy for a long time, which is why G.I. Joe and Cobra had lasers rather than realistic guns. The more fanciful or unusual the weapon, the more acceptable it is to censors.

15. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Wasn't that the reason the bad guys in Batman TAS almost always used Tommy guns rather than more common and contemporary ones? Or was that just a myth?

16. Christopher

Not sure about that; it could've just been to fit the period stylings of the show, like the '40s cars and fedoras and blimps. But I do think they weren't allowed to show anyone getting punched in the face unless it was off-camera and only implied.

17. JirinPanthosa

True, it’s not Warner Bros fault for adhering to the standards by which they will be judged.

It’s more an absurd aspect of our culture that we are willing to show acts of violence, then feel good that we censored violence by removing guns from their most legitimate use, hunting.

18. Christopher

Although one has to question whether hunting is legitimate in a universe where the prey animals are fully sentient, verbal, and civilized.

19. JirinPanthosa

True, but regardless of the answer to that question, doing it with a weapon that kills quick is preferable to the other options. :)

20. Christopher

Which is why Bugs uses dynamite. :D