New DS9 Documentary

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Tosk, Aug 6, 2016.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going to learn a lot watching this documentary. The Peter Capaldi thing was almost shocking.

2. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

This will get the Doctor Who fans on board!

3. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

It wasn't shocking really, we always knew they'd read a great variety of actors for the lead role (as they did with Voyager), there just weren't many names attached because actors generally prefer to keep failed auditions to themselves.

I doubt he was ever seriously in the running, because another white British lead after Patrick Stewart wouldn't have made much sense. Half the point of auditions is to identify actors they like for future roles.

Tim Russ for example auditioned for Geordi, subsequently got a string of guest roles, and was finally cast as Tuvok for Voyager. Capaldi probably would have got similar roles if he'd wanted to move to LA for that period.

4. tomalak301

Apologies for bumping this post up but the team emailed everyone with another update. I don’t have the email readily available but some of the highlights include not being ready for a February release (mainly because they are deep into the editing process) and Adam Nimoy is stepping down. Im glad they sent out the email because I was wondering how the doc was coming along. In terms of Star Trek in 2018, this is what I’m most looking forward to.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

One of the co-directors taking over what Adam was doing is Ira anyway, which I prefer. No offense to Adam, but Ira is DS9, Adam is only marrying into it. (In more ways than one. ;) )

6. tomalak301

That’s perfectly ok by me. ;)

7. Sverre

Sverre Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

But Ira is very busy helping run Outlander, but you know he will get this done.

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Is there a composer yet?

10. tomalak301

I would have thought the same guy who did love of Spock would have done this doc as well.

11. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I hope this doc is more professionally produced than Chaos on the Bridge, which if I recall had no clips from TNG. The documentaries on the TNG blurays had clips, music from the episodes, special effects tests, interviews, and all of it was spliced togther nicely by people who were obviously fans. I really enjoyed Behr's interviews on the TNG Season 3 bluray doc so I am looking forward to this....

RedAlert and Qonundrum like this.
  12. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

The Indiegogo campaign included upgrading clips. They will probably be used in the doc.

13. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't say I felt that Chaos on the Bridge suffered from the lack of clips - it was about what went on behind the scenes, not what ended up on screen.

I don't think seeing clips of people jogging around in 'Justice' would have hugely added anything.

Jonesy likes this.
  14. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Given that a large part of the doc was showing how weird things got under Roddenberry, I think clips of Justice could have been considered evidence.

Qonundrum, DonIago and Tomalak like this.
  15. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Justice would have been a great episode to highlight. It features a Godlike being that threatens the Enterprise and a hypersexual planet, two Rodenberry staples.

There were some revealing insights and interviews but as documentaries go, I wasn't that impressed by Chaos on The Bridge. Not to go off on a tangent but if you want to see behind the scenes drama in a professional documentary that has some reverence and editorial design, watch Dangerous Days The Making of Blade Runner.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Qonundrum likes this.
  16. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

I liked Chaos On The Bridge for this reason alone. What went on behind the scenes on TNG had long been rumored. It was so amusing to see it played out in cartoon form, and discussed at length.

Garth Rockett and Tomalak like this.
  17. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  18. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

...and Gary Busey. Man, we dodged that bullet!

I'm in intrigued by Colin Firth. I'm not surprised he turned it down but that would've been very intereating.

20. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Liam Neeson as a Starfleet captain would be something I'd like to see. I'm really glad they got Brooks though.