New Discovery rumor: cbs in-house fx team dissolved

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by RAMA, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

There was no reason for most of what they did in the fourth year other than pandering to the fanbase.

Kemaiku, Noname Given and Nerys Myk like this.
  2. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, to get back on topic, the FX team for Discovery was indeed let go around a week ago. However, I do not know the particulars as why.

Gepard and Serveaux like this.
  3. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

And who is taking over? What now? Is this good or bad?

4. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Discovery hasn't come out yet. It's presumptuous to even bring up such a defense. Regardless of how much Discovery has been presold and may or may not be cancelation-proof for the next year or two (something that has more to do with whether executives want to gamble on it) general audiences may wind up bashing Discovery for some of the same reasons fans do. They probably won't care about the minutiae of canon, but they may dislike the production design purely on its aesthetics.

I think there's an undercurrent in this debate that suggests that fans have unfairly high standards and the general public have really low standards, and that the objectively "right" way to think about things is to set the bar really low. If the average viewer is so easy to please, though, nothing would ever bomb or get canceled. Nobody right now can classify Discovery as a "good show" yet. Most of the concerns fans have about it are based on things that are perfectly justified: shakeups at the top, delays, and now letting their FX team go en masse.

5. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They were free to choose any year, and they were free to set it in the Kelvin Universe or reboot it as a fresh universe. But they said it set in Prime Universe at specific year. Like it or not, it is understandable that this creates certain expectations amongst the fans.

6. Serveaux

It's even more absurd to criticize it.

No, just preposterously specific expectations masquerading as "standards."

Campe and Jedman67 like this.
  7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

They set it at an important era in both universes. And Fuller is on record as saying the series is produced to that it could appear to be either.

8. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With no other information available to the public, presumably CBS has contracted (or is in the process of contracting) with a public VFX outfit, such as ILM, to provide the necessary visuals.
    My comment is perfectly relevant for all the idiots attempting to crucify the show before the first episode even aired yet.
    Considering the budget, and the fact that Netflix has bought international streaming rights, it makes sense for the production to be locked into a minimum of two or three seasons.

9. Jedman67

They also specifically said they were "re-imagining" Star Trek for the 21st century.

10. Serveaux

Yep.

11. Longinus

Frankly, I have really not seen anyone to do that here. We know really little about the show, so we end up having huge treads about the few parts we have seen. But then if someone says that they don't like some aspect (like the ship design or the look of the Klingons) it gets construed as them hating the entire show even though that was not what was said.

12. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

"presumably CBS has contracted"

I just mentioned in my other post that this thread is full of presumptions. It's hypocritical to bash "idiots" for crucifying the show before it airs as well as to presume what CBS is doing to produce the FX.

Whatever is going on behind the scenes will eventually come out after the fact and we can bump these threads to see who was the more accurate clairvoyant in reading the tea leaves.

13. Jedman67

????
    There have been plenty of people who said "oh the new Klingons don't cut it for me, i hope the rest of it looks better" and even more people who said "That's not what klingons are supposed to look like! This show will be awful! It's not canon!" etc. (Paraphrase of course). it happens to be that I'm not too thrilled with it either, no biggie.

14. Longinus

Yes, plenty of people have said something like this, me included.

But I really haven't seen much of this.

I mean I think Nebula-class is one of the ugliest starships ever designed (at least before I saw Vengeance and Discovery!) but I don't skip every TNG or DS9 episode with Nebulas in them, nor I think those shows suck because they feature such an ugly vessel.

15. Serveaux

The only thing that occasionally nags at me is the possibility that for all of this fuss about reimagining Star Trek what we'll eventually get is the same tired content that dominated Trek in the 1990s, just with everything looking different. Another Star Trek: Enterprise, so to speak.

cardinal biggles and Jedman67 like this.
  16. Jedman67

Right, because you're not an opinionated self-righteous die-hard trekkie over-analyzing the new show. Like many other posters, you have fun expressing your opinion.
    Unfortunately, there have been quite a number of idiots trying to point out all the ways this show should fail because "canon."
    Don't know about you but I'm getting tired of even mocking them.

Serveaux likes this.
  17. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why is anyone bashing the show before it airs anyway? Why not wait until you see the actual pilot episode on CBS?

Jedman67 likes this.
  18. Longinus

With all these delays, Fuller leaving and now this, it is not unreasonable to be a bit worried about what's going on. I hope it just means that they're taking their time to get things perfect and the show will be great!

INACTIVEUSS Einstein likes this.
  19. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Some supposed info has been posted on another forum from someone who claims to have interviewed to join the VFX team (but was not hired before the team was let go). I would link it, but it's a private board that isn't accessable unless you have an account. I can't verify this guy is legit so take with caution:

•The new VFX house is Pixamondo, chosen partially because of their prior work on the Abrams movies.
    •The in-house team was unable to get much work done at all due to shifting deadlines, rewrites and redesigns.
    •CBS decided that an outside vendor might be able to work more quickly than the in-house team.
    •Said poster is of the opinion that this may be a bad idea as Pixamondo is primarily a feature film shop and is not used to dealing with the deadlines of series work.

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

To the last point - remember they are probably going to have most of the episodes 'in the can' prior to releasing the first season to CBS All Access/Netfix/the TV networks of the other countries. It's not your 'standard' TV series production format they're going with here from most reports.

Yes, they'll release/show one episode per week, but there probably won't be the standard 'we have three weeks from filming start to air to get the post production done. But, we'll see.

FYI - The same was said regarding ILM when it was announced they would be doing the TNG Season One VFX back in 1986.