New Coke

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Lord Garth, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't the glass bottle Coke the ones that used cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup? We would get those imported from Mexico I believe... but maybe I'm wrong

ITDUDE likes this.
  2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

:techman:

3. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That’s the only one I buy. It’s available in Costco

4. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sooo much better

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good question. I'd always wondered that. Perhaps it's supposed to be a combination of blueberry and Raspberry? Because as far as I know, there's no such thing as a blue raspberry (although I'm sure we'll start seeing some eventually via genetic engineering). The closest thing would be a Blackcurrant, but then it tastes completely different to a raspberry.

6. Fire Daemon

Fire Daemon Rogue Process Moderator

There actually *is* something sometimes called "blue raspberry": Rubus leucodermis, also called "whitebark raspberry" and "black raspberry". Although sometimes called "blue", the raspberries are more of a dark purple/black when ripe. It's native to the western part of the continent, though, so we wouldn't normally see it in Ontario.

Of course, the neon blue raspberry foods look nothing like actual blue raspberries. The history around that is interesting and complex, as human endeavours tend to be. Here's a short article that sort of summarizes things:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/29273/what-heck-blue-raspberry

And here are a couple longer articles that go into more detail. Interestingly, both of these point out that the "raspberry" flavour in these products have pretty much nothing to do with actual raspberries, and is produced from the esters that make the scents of bananas, pineapples and cherries.

https://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/pop-culture/article/what-is-blue-raspberry-flavor

Best quote:
    (Plus this one has a Star Trek reference! :) )

https://www.tastecooking.com/raspberries-turned-blue/

Best quote:
    (And I did not know that red M&Ms had been removed from production for a decade! :eek: )

Kor and Gary Mitch-HELL like this.
  7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, you learn something new everyday. I had no idea. It actually makes sense when you think of it that there'd be more than one species of raspberry. I certainly won't argue that one until I'm blue in the face ;)

Fire Daemon likes this.
  8. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Captain Premium Member

My local supermarket offers Mexican-style Coke in traditional glass bottle which is absolutely refreshing when served chilled on hot summer days like this. Usually after I mow the lawn. This is the only guilt-free way to enjoy soda pop...

Gary Mitch-HELL likes this.
  9. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

Back when I drank sugary things, the cane sugar Coca-Cola imported from Mexico was one of my favorites.

Kor

10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

Actually "hecho in Mexico" stuff?

11. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Captain Premium Member

And NO RETORNABLE. Refresco.

Hmm...think I'll have one now...

Ar-Pharazon likes this.