Never seen TOS scenes, but would've been nice...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charonjr

charonjr Ensign Red Shirt

Re: Never seen TOS scenes...

One of the things I truly enjoyed about the original Enterprise 14 footer was it's lack of details. Having only the windows to go by, it truly looked HUGE! IMHO, the aztecing added to the refit combined with the use of ultra wide angle lenses detracted from the apparent size of the ship.

Warped, your image is, to me, vindication of my pov. BTW, what is that whitish blur in the lower right hand corner? Makes me think the photographer got his finger in the way of the lens when he took the picture...LOL....

PS, your image of the cgi Enterprise orbiting above the planet: can you make a 1920x1200 version of it? I'd love it as wallpaper on my laptop! Let me know at charonjr@commspeed.net . Thanks!

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

That image isn't a cgi but a scratchbuild model I found images of on the net somewhere (regrettably I can't recall where). That whitish blur at the lowere right may simply be light reflecting off the saucer rim when the photographer got up close to the 11 footer for his shot.

3. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I agree wholeheartedly! The dilithium station from Where Man Has Gone Before also can give that feeling.
    On a semi-related topoc...that's one of the hings about the Star Wars Special Editions (and even Episodes 1 and 2) that bothered me is that some of the places are just too busy and for some reason don't feel like they're happening in a distant galaxy.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I took a more conservative approach with this one: Side view of Enterprise next to SS Botany Bay. In response to some of the other comments, I think the main difference between the Star Wars cgi treatments and TOS is that with Star Wars, we can view the entire series now with virtually the same consistent level of visual effects. This adds to the overall credibility of the story, since the effects are mostly created with the same high standards. I'd rather not quibble about whether Lucas' special editions somehow robbed the 'essence' of what make Star Wars great. I think overwhelmingly, Star Wars fans have embraced the cgi and other revisions. The point is that the entire Star Wars series can be viewed together now with no real variation in quality. The same can't be said of Star Trek. TOS has become a hokey, nostalgia trip for today's scifi audiences, who are far more discerning and demand higher standards from a science fiction show. The only people who believe TOS has plausible effects are those bound by nostalgia. I love TOS and admit to having some of the same nostalgia, since I grew up in the '70s watching it in syndication. But I also recognize that Trek needs a reboot, a polishing up for the 21st century. As it is, TOS just doesn't connect to any of it's spin-offs or films, and it certainly hasn't connected to any new fans ('cause there aren't any!)

If a re-boot ever happens, I would think that it would make more sense to re-imagine the special effects using cgi rather than just applying more variations on '60s era effects (which is how most of the images here look--not that they look bad, some are quite good). Either way, it's fun to play with these screen shots. I hope that Paramount is at least toying with the idea of revamping TOS somehow, either as a special edition (maybe expanding an old episode to a feature film), or placing the next series in the TOS era.

S.S. Botany Bay

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

First off, webs, are you lifting your own screen caps? That profile shot of the E is gorgeous and I've been wanting one like that for ages and I'm not yet set up to do my own screen captures. You wouldn't be able to send me a larger resolution shot of that image, would you, please? My email addy is on my TBBS member's page.

You're right. If ClassicTrek was ever rebooted or even just enhanced cgi would be used extensively, only to what degree would remain to be determined.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

That Enterprise pic is taken from a photo of a model. I can post the original picture here if you want it. I agree it's a nice clean view of the 1701, but I did have to adjust the nacelles (the model has the nacelles dipping down too far, I think). As for the whole 'to cgi or not to cgi' questions, although it's fun to go a little overboard on these (which I am guilty of), I would hope that if they ever do an SE, they treat each scene with complete respect to the originals and not change things just because they can.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I meant the original shot of the Enterprise with the Botany Bay posted above your model shot. I'd love a copy of that if possible.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Gadzooks! You don't mean the original screen shot? Yikes, that's a washed out, hokey looking mess...

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It looks damned nice on the screen. And it'll look great after I touch it up some. :)

10. LavianoTS386

LavianoTS386 Admiral Admiral

I thought it looked fine too.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Hmm. I didn't think of it at the time, but something like this shot would have mede a great opening scene in "Courtmartial" when Kirk is dictating his log that they've put into Starbase 10 for repairs after the ion storm. :D

12. LavianoTS386

Where is the "pod" that kirk jettisoned?

13. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Someone made a really good point about the Lithium Cracking Station on Delta Vega from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" - the place looked so lonely, such fantastic desolation out on the edge of the galactic disk, the only traffic if ever sees are ore freighters dropping in every 20 years. Does anyone have a picture of that old matte paiting they could post here? That'd be sweet. I love this thread - I can't believe I haven't looked at it til now. Keep up the good work, guys. Wish I had some skill at digital artwork so that I might contribute something...I'm stuck with a lot of ideas and a burning envy for all the pixel-pushing masters like Deks, Vektor, Warped9, and everyone else. All I've got is some decent pencil sketches. Maybe I'll invest in a scanner.

14. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

I remember that Romulan ship image. Aldiwah Teerodi was doing three separate early 24th century era Romulan ships for me before he and I had a falling out.

I still have the great looking Winged Defender class heavy cruiser he created for me. I still hope to incorporate it into a sourcebook someday.

15. Kagan

Kagan Commodore Commodore

My, my, my...is that the bowling alley that Captain Robert April is looking for over in his thread? Way to go, you've found it for him!

16. FishDS9

FishDS9 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Those shots of the bowling alley and pool are from an Elite Force map called "WreckDeck" made by MajorTork. The map can be downloaded at Space Station K7 along with a new map made by Laz Rojaz which is the Starbase 11 complex complete with the base on the planet along with drydocks and orbiting station. Check us out!! :D

17. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

^Where is the Starbase 11 map? I saw the K-7 Map, Wreck Deck Map, The Enterprise Incident Map, Daedalus 2 Map, Rura Penthe Map, Cestus 3 Map, and Amok Time Map, but no Starbase 11 Map.

Update: I found the Starbase 11 Preview Pack (ZIP File) in the SpaceStation K7 Forum. Unfortunately, I don't have the Elite Force computer game. Any chance you could post some screen shots here or at the SpaceStation K7 website?

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
    =/\=

18. Intelligence

Intelligence Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As you discoverd yourself, the map can be found in the announcement forum Starbase 11 Preview in Skins maps and models are several threads with dozens of screenshots

19. Kendric2000

Kendric2000 Commander Red Shirt

OK...after watching all the cool photos manips in this thread I thought it was about time I did one myself. Its a shot from "The Menagerie" I decided to enhance the view outside Starbase 11's window.

[​IMG]

20. LavianoTS386

^ Nice! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.