News Netflix orders The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina to series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 1, 2017.

1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Mad Men really wasn't a critique of the period. It was simply a faithful, and I mean faithful, representation of the early through late 1960's with no irony or judgement. And as such, yes, most of the men depicted were a-holes. Yep, Shipka was great in the show.

This Sabrina show looks like it may be more like Buffy than the old Sabrina show and this makes it interesting to me. I saw quite a bit of the old Sabrina show because my daughter was a big fan. Also agree that the photo in the o/p's link makes Kiernan look a lot like Emma Watson.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

C'mon, we all know you know how to use Google and Wikipedia. ;)

Gaith likes this.
  3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Emma Roberts (right) is a niece of Julia Roberts, and appeared with Shipka (left) in the 2015 horror movie The Blackcoat's Daughter. FWIW.

[​IMG]

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I did look up Ms. Roberts, but she hasn't been in anything I've seen, so I still consider her an unknown quantity.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Speaking as someone who's worked in marketing (primarily on the tech / SaaS side) for his entire career ... it's still an industry dominated by flaming sexist assholes. Behold the tale of Robert Scoble.

6. Christopher

So are most industries, judging from the news that keeps coming out.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's also the daughter of Eric Roberts, Julia Roberts' brother, and the actor who played The Master in the 8th Doctor Dr. Who movie, Sal Maroni in The Dark Knight, voiced Mongul in the Justice League and JLU animated series, and played Bo's father in Lost Girl, and a whole lot of none genre roles.

8. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Charlie, they took my thumb!

9. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I just hope they bring back Salem.

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they do, it's probably going to be a very, very different Salem.

11. Awesome Possum

I’ve read the comics. He talks, he’s just more openly evil. Granted the sitcom one was turned into a cat for trying to take over the world. The current comics one tried the same thing and keeps trying. He tried to start the events of the Book of Revelations as a cat.

I do wish they’d bring back the original voice actor and puppet, then just have him be evil.

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

That faithfulness made it more effective than any ironic or judgmental approach would have, much like 12 Years A Slave works so well because it plays things straight.

As to the casting of Shipka, she’s very talented and will doubtlessly be good in the role.

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

What a relief that this thread with a middle-aged man judging the attractiveness of a teenage girl he thought looked younger than eighteen didn't go down a creepy path like that Facebook discussion about young celebrities that look like her having sex that you also brought up, huh?

14. Christopher

What????? I wasn't "judging her attractiveness." Where the hell did you get that idea? I was just saying that she doesn't look like someone you'd expect to be starring in a dark, sinister, horror-tinged series, because she looks so sweet and innocent and harmless.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

When you said she was not as stunning as Emma Watson. You know, the one from the imagined sex scene with Emma Roberts ("whoever that is", even though you had already Googled her) that you had to bring up.

16. Awesome Possum

Maybe I’ve just seen more horror than you, but that’s a fairly common horror trope.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never read the comics, and I haven't seen references to Salem in the things I've read about them.
    Have they said if the Netflix series will adapt the stories from the comics, or just the characters and concept?

18. Awesome Possum

The comics are set in the 60s and has some material that might be odd to include. One of the plots involves Sabrina’s father taking over the body of her boyfriend Harvey without her knowledge. I’d imagine they’d set it in the present and keep the dark tone.

19. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I think they made a series about it once, which I think was quite similar to this idea.

Remind me... Juffy? Kuffy?

20. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just read something stating that none of the original cast will be involved. Which is sad because like Awesome Possum, I really wanted Nick Bakay to voice Salem again. :(