Netflix’s Lost in Space Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starscream2112, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Debbie The Chicken needs her own fan club.

saddestmoon likes this.
  2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe it was in the agreement they signed with Netflix. Still, it feels like the kind of show that could go naturally on for much longer. It feels like their adventures are cut short.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've started Season 2 now, and the first couple episodes were a nice start.
    The stuff with them turning the Jupiter into a sailboat, and using the Chariot as a lightning rod to power the ship were pretty cool solutions to their problems.
    Some interesting new hints about the robot and it's origins.
    I'm very curious to see what Smith is up to with her manipulating Judy.

4. Gingerbread Demon

I had a ton of fun with season 2. The Chariot gets to do a lot more fun things but I won't spoil it.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Episode 3 was great, there was some pretty tense stuff there with SAR and the Robinsons on the Resolute.
    I got a big kick out of the fact that we got both the original Penny and the original Will in the same episode.
    I was glad the horse got away, I was afraid the robot was going to kill it.
    It was interesting to get to see some more June/Smith flashbacks.
    I think this was also the first that we heard that Judy is not John's daughter.

6. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

It was mentioned in the first season when John and Don were stranded on the Jupiter debris.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I must have missed that.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the next couple episodes, and we got some interesting new information about the robots. When Adler was looking at himself in the mirror, was his side scarred? I couldn't tell for sure.
    It definitely seems like there is something hinky going on with him.
    I liked the flashbacks with John and Judy, it was nice to get a look at their relationship.
    I had thought after their little talk in one of the other episodes that Penny was going to end up bonding with Smith, but it looks like it's actually ending up the opposite.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up the season, and I loved it.
    Hastings was a pretty good villain, I really did not like him at all.
    I wasn't real clear on why Smith sided with Adler and Hastings? Was she just mad the Robinsons hadn't trusted her?
    Adler sacrificing himself to save Scarecrow was a nice redemption for the character.
    Scarecrow showing up to fight off the other robots was a pretty cool moment.
    I'm definitely very curious to see what the ending will lead to next season.

10. Gingerbread Demon

I'm curious to see where Smith disappeared to.... Did she stow away on the ship with Judy and the kids?

Did you like the Chariot racing inside the Resolute?

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was hilarious.
    If I cancel my Netflix subscription, will it keep going until my next payment was die, or does it stop instantly?

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The former, IIRC. You pay in advance for the whole month, so you get the whole month.

13. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Sigh- another sci-fi show with a too-short lifespan. Meanwhile, Law and Order gets a 67th season.....

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And another spin-off.

15. Gingerbread Demon

What the?

Jabberjaw never got respect, or the girl

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

DarKush likes this.
  17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I finally had an opportunity to catch up and watch S2. Still like the cast. Still enjoy the ride. Production values are top notch.

Must confess I got a little weary of the angsty family drama at the most inopportune times (people do not argue over hurt feels when death is three steps away) and the overdone Poor Communication Kills trope (exemplified by "Smith" not telling John by the time she got to the bridge the doors were locked and she couldn't get a response instead of just saying "I tried!") leading to misunderstandings. That stuff is pure CW.

A lot of the "science" isn't.

18. Gingerbread Demon

19. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally sat down and finished the second season a few weeks ago. Another strong season, but I didn't love everything about it. I thought a family member in danger each episode got to be a little too much. I think they could've broken up that formula with more character development or worldbuilding episodes.

I don't get why Lost in Space isn't talked about more, but it unfortunately has come out at a time of tough competition. Mandalorian is a pop culture phenomenon, The Expanse gets the praise from science fiction fans, Star Treks Discovery and Picard and new Doctor Who get the divided fandom angst, so there's not much room left for Lost in Space. I imagine that Netflix's binge method also gives it a short shelf life since there isn't going to be a discussion about it every week.

20. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. And in addition to shows being competition, there's also the streaming services they're on with their own competition. But really, given Netflix's popularity, it should have caught on much better. I feel Netflix's promotion for shows in general tends to be fairly weak. A big problem with Netflix is that it's hard to sift through things and discover something, unless you happen to see it featured then and there and are left to sink or swim while everyone goes on to the next big thing.

DarKush likes this.