Need a TOS model made…

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

On the subject at hand I checked out the Trekworks Youtube channel and saw some interesting stuff. One guy had asked for a few detail changes/additions to his TOS E model that worked out quite well. He added small navigational lights to the top of the rings surrounding the warp nacelle domes—a very nice touch. He asked for the three rings under the saucer to be painted the same blue as the dorsal’s leading edge, and it looks okay. He also asked for the overall hull colour to be slightly lighter than the actual colour because thats how he envisioned it, and it also looks good. I can see where he comes from on this point. I do find the grey hull colour on the models as well as the 11-footer a bit too dark myself for my own liking even knowing that it rarely looked that dark onscreen.

I also find it interesting that some have opted to have the balls on the aft end of the nacelles lighted given that at times they did kind of look like that onscreen. Mind you, it’s not a option I’d go for. Another couple of things I’m not keen on is lighting the inboard sides of the nacelles (TNG style) as well as the impulse engines—it just ain’t my thing and I feel it looks gimmicky.

StarCruiser and One of None like this.
  2. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, some questions first.
    You have built models in the past?
    Are currently building anything?
    Do you have any of the accessories to build? Sandpaper, putty, knives, and more important to this discussion, airbrush?

With the TOS Enterprise, especially in 350, is one of the easier kits to build and especially paint, as its just mostly grey. One could quite easily paint with rattle cans.
    Now if you said Refit, and wanted to do the paint masking with not so good eyes, that might be a problem.

So I would say, since you have the kit already, give it the good collage try and build it yourself.
    Mistakes will be made, I've been model building for over 35 years and I mess up at least once on every kit. Don't get discouraged. Just step back, breath, and then commence to fixing the mistake and move Forward.
    Another thing, there is no "Time Limit" if you get discouraged, take a day, then come back. So just take your time, and enjoy the experience.

Were here if you need any help.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes.

Yes. Small scale Seaview. Still in the filling seams and assembling stage.

I don’t presently have an airbrush, but I have the rest.

4. Chris PikE

Chris PikE Commander Red Shirt

publiusr, Warped9 and shapeshifter like this.