NCC-1701 USS Enterprise Deck by Deck - WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by havoc92, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Again, though, while I tend to agree with this line of reasoning in-universe, all of this post-dates TOS in real life production terms. So the torpedo casing are by definition a ret con. A welcome one, as far as I'm concerned. I'm just saying.

--Alex

2. havoc92

havoc92 Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the rework on the clamps in progress. Still not quite there; but, getting there finally.

3. havoc92

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Starting to look like a torpedo room.

4. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be interested to see how the loading system works to get those torpedoes off the racks. How much manual effort will be involved?

5. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

They would probably use a pair of antigravs like the ones seen in the "The Changeling" episode.

Here is a picture of Kirk and Spock using antigravs on Nomad, courtesy of of the trekcore website.

Navigator NCC-2120, USS Entente
    /\

6. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Not really seeing a rapid-fire option there. Ideally (judging from this non-Remastered clip) each tube should be able to fire again inside of three seconds. Maybe something more like dual revolver chambers, with six in each 'clip'? Eject the empty clip, plug in a fresh one while you frantically reload the first clip using anti-gravs.

7. havoc92

well there is the handheld grav unit used in 'the changeling'. Though I think it needs a version designed just for this purpose.

8. havoc92

I think an automated system could do rapid fire; but, people would have to be the heck out of the way for it to work. The
    Tube loading rails are designed to allow for the outer rails to be loaded while there is one in the chamber.

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

One of the things I have often thought about would be the placement of aft torpedoes on heavy cruisers. Most just have them at the base of the neck--but having them between the impulse exhausts--where the spine of he ABBE class goes, allows a saucer to have a bit of firepower.

The neck could act as a clip either way...

10. havoc92

Don't think I can let the day pass without saying RIP Leonard Nimoy. You are already missed.

11. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My sentiments also

12. havoc92

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finished the supports for the telescope mounts and the maintenance
    gangway.

13. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Oh wow! I had almost forgotten about this project. I'm glad it's still getting some love. Great work!

--Alex

14. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I Agree welcome back Havoc92 :techman::)

15. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Take it from someone that tried to get something like this done: this is amazing. Give me a pair of VR goggles and let me loose in there!

16. Patrin-Zero

Patrin-Zero Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I had no idea there was a telescope on the original Enterprise, is this somewhere located near the observation deck ?

17. havoc92

Sorry for the lateness of the reply. It is decks 2 & 3 aft. And, yeah, there's a big telescope there. In a digital universe, analog is still what we fall back on to save our butts when the power is off.

Edit: my biggest hurdle to completing this beast (so far) has fallen. I just shelled out 4k for max 2016.

18. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

Congrats! I have 2012, but I'll need to opt for the subscription once I do upgrade as I don't have the 4K to hand over to them now. I was moronic and opted NOT to get their yearly subscription plan for permanent licenses. 2012 does nearly everything I want, though, so I'm not in any particular hurry.

I need to go back through this thread. What I see in the last couple of pages astounds me.

19. GhostLoveScore

GhostLoveScore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If we don't hear from you anymore, you probably died of hunger :rommie:

20. topcat

topcat Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Extremely fun project here. Its a little old and outdated compared to the modern material on the web to use. As someone with a very good background in drafting and design, I have to weigh in here.
    The first issues are in the saucer. Using all existing plans based on the original models, you are missing the correct thickness in the middle of the saucer where it slims down to the actual 2 deck disk. That should actually be 3 decks thick. 2 full dimensioned decks, with a 3/4 height deck below and a 1/4 height deck above to be used as conduit routing and thruster fuel storage.
    From what I have seen the only vessels that had the photon torpedo system in the TOP of the saucer was enterprise in the original "cage" pilot and the pre TOS ships with single warp nacelles.

The dorsal neck is not used to contain a warp core. Its sole purpose is a turbo lift tube, an emergency stairwell, deuterium feed lines, cargo storage, power conduits, external umbilical connections.
    Even all cannon and non cannon single nacelle ships all have the dorsal connector as being storage and power conduits. Just look at the famous screen captures from when the Enterprise escapes space dock in st3.

The warp core was always a tennis ball in a tuna can shape for everything before the motion picture. The official data for Miranda/refit/ excelsior states the modern TMP and later "stick" warp core as being a completely brand new just released design.

The two triangles you see in main engineering are the top of the reactor sphere ( much like the actual prop shown in "into darkness") and contains matter/antimatter injectors and the actual dilithium crystal holder.

the D7/D7c double warp core arrangement is basically this sphere being fed by two separate warp cores similar to what was used for nx-01.
    And the tennis ball design is further proven to be correct because in the final season of Star Trek Enterprise they did alternate dimension episodes where the crew ran amuck trying to take over the constitution class starship the tholians captured in the original series.
    And in those episodes, the tennis ball reactor core was proven as cannon, and the three plasma conduit taps from the reactor core were shown for the first time. And they look a lot like some internal cross sections on the net.
    monte jon Julio new paradigm studios blueprints show it awfully similar to what the ST Enterprise episodes show.
    And there was no ejection system for the warp core pre TMP. It was built into the secondary hull. Its why the saucer separation exists. And no escape pod system either. The primary hull is the escape pod.

A lot of the build issues are from the wonderful use of combining so many different off scale blue prints form the internet. Even when looking at the original TOS film models, they had serious scale issues between them all. One comparison study showed 3/8" difference in the nacelle diameter.
    I believe part of it may have been from accidental damage to the film models post series cancellation.

Also a lot of the size issue in the secondary hull seems to be from the prints shown, seem to be based off a few REFIT blue prints for the Enterprise A that currently exist online. They do look nice for internal looks, but the refit changed everything internally forward of the bulkhead contained the entrance doors to the shuttle bay.
    Also it looks like you forgot to calculate the hull thickness in as a variable. Ive spent a lot of time looking at enlarged copies of the blueprints and under sufficient magnification youll see how the lines change thickness in the back half of the secondary hull.