Navigating the Comics

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by seigezunt, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My great quest is for Marvel's Starfleet Academy. :)

2. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

I don't think I even bothered with the IDW series because I had digital copies of all the Gold Key comics on that DVD-ROM and I figured that was enough. I didn't know they didn't finish their series.

IDW was one of the factors that killed my interest in being a Star Trek books completist, with all their reprints of previous companies' comics that had already been published as graphic novels by the original publishers, and then their omnibuses of their own graphic novels, etc. At one point I realized I'd bought a certain storyline four times, as floppies, on DVD, in the original publisher's paperback, and IDW's, and I figured enough was enough. Not to mention that I haven't been a fan of some of their own content. I still get single issues to support my comic shop, and I've managed to get a considerable number of the digital versions of the trade paperback collections through a couple of Humble Bundles, with a little Amazon gap-filling. But how I wish they'd do one or two monthly series, keep them going, and not do all these miniseries all over the place. And enough Mirror Universe TNG already.

TheAlmanac and Daddy Todd like this.
  3. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Those are on the DVD. But an omnibus print edition would be sweet.

4. Charles Phipps

Yeah, now I need to find it myself.

5. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

6. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for reminding me that I do have the 2002 DVD-ROM. I hadn't thought about it in a while since I haven't had a laptop with a DVD drive in a while. But I dug it out and copied it to a flash drive. It's a great collection for reading. The huge watermark is a distraction, but I get why it was necessary, I guess?

My inquiry was more about navigating the IDW line, and for those that helped on that, thanks.

7. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

I concur.

8. Charles Phipps

9. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Just a gentle warning: I was a subscriber from Day 1, and Eaglemoss never sent me something like 15 volumes. I eventually picked up about half of those through their store (typical for Eaglemoss -- subscribers don't get it, but it's available in their store for anyone.)

Anyway, there are still 8 volumes (56-59 and 64-67) that, apparently, never made it to the USA. So, if you want a complete collection, you're pretty much SOL.

Eaglemoss fulfillment sucks.

10. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

To me, the formatting is also ridiculous. I like the concept of the spines making an image (I remember when the VHS of TMP-TFF formed an image, and the TUS came out and they just extended the image, leaving Enterprise off-center!), but I'd much, much rather have things clustered by series. It shouldn't be so ridiculous convoluted to assemble, for instance, PAD's run(s) into order, or to group the four Starfleet Academy books together. Which, granted, I can do on my own, but then you have a silly non-image (and non-sequential numbers) on the spines, which looks bad.

11. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I have avoided that series because it kinda forces you to be a completist if you don't like janky spine displays.

On a side note, I just noticed something about the 2002 DVD-ROM. I uploaded it to my dropbox because my current laptop doesn't have a DVD drive. Usually when viewing the comics on it in the past, it puts a huge Starfleet delta watermark on the comics, and when I look at the comic using a normal PDF reader or comic reader software, it does this, too. But If I read the comics from the Dropbox app, it removes the watermark. Huh.

12. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is why I can't bring myself to buy any, because I know I wouldn't buy all of them.

seigezunt likes this.
  13. Charles Phipps

I've ordered the reprints of the Marvel Star Trek Academy comics. Sadly, they're out of volume 2# so I only have 1, 3, and 4.

14. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

I don't think I've noticed the delta watermark before. I just tried a few different viewers on different devices, and only saw the delta in one of them.

seigezunt likes this.