My TOS shuttlecraft (continued)...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Mar 29, 2008.

1. c5maier

c5maier Commander Red Shirt

Re: My TOS shuttelcraft (continued)...

That sounds very reasonable to me.
    From what I remember about your port and starboard cross sections depicted earlier, the outer and inner position of the view ports didn't match initially. That brought you to the concept of it being in reality sensor screens and view screens. But after you lowered the ceiling, it matched quite nicely, making this hypothesis unnecessary.
    It is, while quite inventive, also contradicted by TOS-R (which is, like it or not, an important point of reference now and in future. I for one welcome the added dynamic views of our beloved shuttlecraft we have been given). Even if you discount TOS-R, the fact that the view ports can be covered by somewhat massive blinds IMHO seems to indicate window-like view ports.
    Of course, the problem with that is that they are a little too high to make much sense. So I would like to see if you could just bring them down a little for an unobstructed view forward. The view downward, necessary for terrain-hugging flight and touch-down, could then be provided by sensors and view screens in the "crystal balls", much like your initial proposal.
    How about that?

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Even with the ceiling lowered the "windows" won't match up with the exterior. Remember that the exterior hull is significantly wider than the interior hull.

[​IMG]

3. c5maier

This was the picture I was referring to:
    It seems to me that the inner window would have to come down only about 10 % of it's hight, the outer about 20 % to do the trick. While that is not in line with your rule to let the exterior untouched, it would seem to me to be an acceptable compromise. And you are right of course, the above refers only to the horizontal frames, the vertical ones would have to be tweaked a little, too.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ As I said the width disparity between exterior and interior hulls precludes the "windows" matching up. There's also the fact that the angle of the forward exterior hull is sharper and not the same as the angle of the interior forward bulkhead.

5. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

During "The Galileo Seven", Scotty worked on the fuel supply through a hatch in the main cabin's floor. Since this hatch was apparently easy to remove, we must assume the mini-crawlspace through the floor is contained within the shuttlecraft's main hull, if not part of the pressurized cabin. Since it was obvious Scotty was peering down into a significant cavity to complete his work, perhaps it should be assumed that the floor of the main crew habitat/cabin is elevated substantially off the bottom of the hull/"tub".

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ I've thought of that. There's a limit to how much "under the floor" space you can allow while trying to keep the whole ship of reasonable size to be manageable within the Enterprise's hangar facilities.

Go back over the original thread (the link's at the beginning of this thread) and you'll see it's been addressed.

This project has been in progress for over a year. :lol:

It all comes down to the understanding and acceptance that things cannot be exactly as they were oncreen simply because both the interior and exterior sets were production compromises: the exterior mockup was made smaller than it should have been (to facilitate handling and transport) and the interior was made larger than it should have been (to allow for the bulky filming cameras of the time).

To allow for the interior we see onscreen you'd have at least a 31ft. shuttlecraft if not more and that creates a whole set of other problems.

Here's another view to illustrate how the interior fits into the exterior and how the outside and inside "windows" are not going to match up. If you try to align the exterior window panels to match the interior's then they will terribly undersized and mar the look of the vehicle's bow.
    [​IMG]

One of the ideas I have is in regards to sound files. I was thinking of trying to include small clips of TOS music associated with the shuttlecraft when you open certain pages. Looking at the interior views you could also hear the sound f/x associated with the shuttlecraft interior.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A works-in-progress update. While this is based on a screencap it does reflect the slight adaptations I've made in my plans. The craft's beltline is a bit higher than in the show just as the chairs will not be quite so low slung. The major difference between the Class F and Class H in the forward view will be the viewscreen setup, but there will also be some other small things apparent. There will be more noticeable differences in the Aft Views where the aft arrangment will be more apparent between the two classes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

As soon as I can get it loaded somewhere I have a little presentation to share. It's really just a test of an idea where the shuttlecraft drawings are presented in a slideshow fashion accompanied by TOS based sound f/x.

I still have drawings to complete as well as finalizing what f/x I hope to include. It could be viewed as a Quicktime movie, a Keynote or a PowerPoint presentation.

9. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Go for powerpoint... I can watch those using OpenOffice perfectly fine, without giving a single cent to Microsoft for their bloatware "suite." :)

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

What I meant was that Keynote (I use Mac) allows me to export directly to Quicktime or PowerPoint, so I can make everybody happy.

11. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Hoooray for Keynote!

I'm on a MacBook Pro running 10.4.11. I've never had an opportunity to really use Keynote, though.

Whenever I wind up giving a slideshow, it's all pictures, so I use iPhoto.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I thought I'd never use Keynote and then I discover it was perfect for what I want to do. Furthermore I also found it surprisingly easy to use after a little reading and exploring. The thing is, too, that if I export into a PowerPoint format then Keynote will also play that back as well while not alienating the Microsoft Office for PC folks out there.

Try here and then click "download file now" near the bottom right of the page.

Feedback appreciated since this is my first effort. (-:

And be certain your computer's audio is on.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  13. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I tried it and all that I get is warnings. Are you sure that the link is working?

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I tried it again and it worked perfectly. A friend just replied that it worked perfectly for him as well.

The photomanips will have to be redone for better resolution.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  15. c5maier

Same problem for me, unfortunately. I would love to see it!

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Heh. I did this on an eMac. And a pdf file won't have the sound f/x the slide presentation has.

I just tried it again from work and it downloads fine. You're linked to a page called savefile.com and the link is in the lower right portion of the page that says "download file now."

I'll look into it.

17. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I, also, only get a warning set. The warnings read as follows:
    So, it seems that you've used some characters on the second line of y our "prepend.inc.php" HTML file. Evidently Macs can recognize these characters but Windows machines won't in their HTML headers?

In any case, it seems obvious... just scrub that line, rename whatever used the "funky character" into something more conventional, and we'll all be able to make it work.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Try this.

19. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It works now! Looks nice, although the file size (21 Mb) seems to be a bit on the bloated side.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Well the final product will be sizeable for good resolution online as well as being able to print out the drawings. Of course, there's also the audio f/x to consider.

Remember folks, this is a PowerPoint slide presentation with sound so be sure to have your computer audio on.

Last edited: May 8, 2008