My God, it's full of THREAD BOMBS!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Spaceman Spiff, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

There's no way that's just a normal college classroom unless it's teaching a Mac-centric course. Students generally use Macs in higher percentages than the rest of the population, but it's not that dominant.

And lecture halls for large numbers of people share basic features regardless of whether it's in a university or business.

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Could it not be just one of the free seminars they give at Apple Stores ?

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I never saw that at Carnegie Mellon. Usually it'd be maybe 20% of students would have laptops, and maybe half of those would be Macs.

Actually once I saw a guy bring his Windows laptop to a class that took place in a Mac computer lab. Now *that* is a level of system-aversion that's truly mindboggling.

Well, when you're using Windows, your standards are just so low that everything seems like a compliment.

(See, I can do the unsupported drive-by jokes too!)

4. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

[edit] :rommie: fair enough, PC's (with Windoze) do have a tendency to make everything else seem like a walk in the park[/edit]
    Right, but it also depends on what kind of students we're talking about; math and technology students lean towards the ol' PC…

Oooooh, I reallyreallyreally want to say something to that -but I think I've had my daily doze of dissing Mac's!

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

You can try, but there isn't anything to say.

6. Lindley

I'd be curious to know where you got that. Has there actually been some kind of study on this?

(Personally, I would have thought tech students would tend to favor Unix-based systems, of which OSX is one.)

7. trekkiedane

I know Mac's have become more like real computers lately -but it speaks volumes that people actually have to attend seminars to learn how to use them.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

They don't have to. Some people prefer to have things explained to them by a human being.

9. Locutus of Bored

The whole Mac vs. PC argument is idiotic. They're computers that for most practical purposes can do roughly the same things, it's not the fucking Napoleonic Wars. Get over your inflated sense of self-worth because you chose a particular brand of computer.

10. trekkiedane

^Indeed, and the Linux wars are all fought by tech students against each other...

Yeah, couldn't quote any study, but I did read an article about it within this year, citing some Danish study.

11. Lindley

I tend to agree.

Well, anyone attending such a seminar is probably intimidated by computers anyway, so it makes sense they'd choose the less troublesome system to try and learn. [/parting shot]

12. trekkiedane

And, to put an end to (my involvement in) this side-track of what should be a 'funny' thread, let me just say that I see a ral need for both (or: all three) sides to this whole thing: trying to teach a 60-year old the daily use of a computer isn't easy when we're talking PCs, I'm sure she should just have bought a Mac and left me alone.
    (Does give me a tiny feeling of superiority to actually be able to work past all the quirks of a windoze based PC though -xcept when those pesky Linux-geeks point out to me that I should just dump MS -then I feel totally inadequate).

13. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

lets slip the topic back to the thread...

[​IMG]

14. Locutus of Bored

I already posted this, but now seems like an appropriate time to post it again. I'm not taking sides, I just think the Mac kid is annoying and this gif is funny:

[​IMG]

15. Lindley

Raspberry or lemon?

16. trekkiedane

17. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Hey Tharp, you seeing this?

18. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

19. jkladis

jkladis Moderator Admiral

Oldie, but props for appropriateness. We'll make a thread bomb ass out of you yet.

20. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.