MU Vanguard in Shards & Shadows

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by BrotherBenny, Sep 3, 2008.

1. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

No, the reason there's no mirror SCE story is because we intended to do it as an eBook -- then the line got put on hiatus, but by then I'd already committed to "Family Matters," and then the anthology was delayed, and it was a whole big mess.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably have gone with the SCE story instead, but the timing conspired against all of us. *sigh*

2. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Silly question but why can't you just write an S.C.E. story not as an E Book but as part of the anthology? Why should one story make a difference?

3. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'll understand better when you read it.

As I said upthread, our intention was to do Mirror-CoE as an eBook for simultaneous release with the anthology, similar to what was done with post-TV DS9, Gateways, and Vanguard. So work on the anthology went forward. Then, in the middle of that, CoE went on hiatus, and the preliminary plans for a Mirror-Coe eBook were scuttled. There was no budget for a 13th story in the anthology.

Again--budget . . . not to mention the fact that all the author contracts were signed and executed with author royalties splitting 12 ways, not 13.

4. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds more like a variant on the Japanese 'Nobunaga' to me. An Empress Sato story, perhaps.

That, or it's a crossover story featuring an older, mutant ninja turtle Michaelangelo having forsaken his partying ways.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

5. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why do I get the feeling that The Sacred Chalice might have a particular Betazoid in it? And has Picard gotten over his Borg fetish yet?

6. Marco Palmieri

Sorry, my mistake. It is supposed to be "Nobunaga."

Fixed now.

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i've copied that contents list over to Mem Beta. but someone might wanna fix all the author links back in...

8. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

I get that, but I still have a problem with it. Contracts can be re-issued. Stories can be swapped out. It wouldn't be the first time a project has changed course mid-stream, and I'm sure knowing this bunch it won't be the last.

It's just a shame that we have every other part of the line represented except CoE.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, sounds like a really good line up to me. My bad about the SCE thing, I could have sworn someone mentioned it. To bad about the E-book though, that could have been alot of fun.

10. Man of Steel

I say we continue the SCE but as a regular mm.

11. Marco Palmieri

If you want Corps of Engineers to continue as its own series in print, start buying the hell out of the trades.

12. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Done and done!

Seriously though, is that a possibility??

And would the CoE continue as novellas in a TPB or be shoehorned into a full-length novel?

13. Man of Steel

For that answer let's check in with our very own KRAD.

14. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Dunno.

15. Marco Palmieri

If the numbers go up substantively and consistently, sure.

"Shoehorned" is probably the wrong word for it. But in that scenario, if CoE were to continue, Keith and I would certainly discuss what format offered the best chance of renewed success.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Assuming that the very nature of the MU would allow for a Mirror SCE, I would love to see one.

That, and:
    Mirror Vaughn
    , following the description of him in an earlier thread. :techman:

17. Marco Palmieri

No need to assume; they've already made a cameo in Saturn's Children, the mirror-DS9 novel in Obsidian Alliances.

18. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Alas it seems not enough people here in Dublin buy them as I keep seeing the same copies of the last two anthologies in the bookshops I visit for the last few months. I can't understand why people don't buy them as I think they are ridiculously cheap for the amount of stories contained within and the quality of those stories.

Back on topic this looks like a great line up. Particularly excited by James Swallows take on Vanguard, nice to see another author dipping a toe in the Vanguard pool. It is also exciting to see more new authors coming into the Trek fold.

19. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Captain Captain

Mack returns to the MU? YES! :techman:

Hopefully we get a follow-up on Memory Omega. Though judging by the title, and the TNG-ish reference, I wonder if this could be something entirely different - a Mirror Universe story where the Terran Empire never fell, maybe? :vulcan:

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

no, because all of these are consistent with each other and the fall of the Empire seen in DS9...