Movies Seen in 2020

Yesterday: Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates.

Today: The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005 Version).

The Beach House - 8
Scare Package - 8
The Vice Guide to Bigfoot - 7
Fulci For Fake - 5
Berserker - 6
Koko-Di Koko-Da - 6

Jumbo - 9
Homewrecker - 8
Eat Brains Love - 8
Dementer - 4
The Wanting Mare - 4
The Pandemic Anthology - 5
The Yellow Night - 4

Executive Decision - B
Edge Of Tomorrow - B-
Power Rangers - D
Sully – C+

Every Time I Die - D+

When looking at online reviews for this movie, people either love it or hate it, but file me under the latter.

This movie is let down by cruddy writing from beginning to end. It adds more questions than keeping you involved in the story and when your main reason for watching through to the end is to see how many people end up getting killed, its not a good movie. I have to spoil the movie to reveal its silliness, so if you plan on watching this one, feel free to skip it.

The opening twenty minutes try to establish the character of Sam. We understand he has blackouts, he is sleeping with a girl and he is a bit awkward, but he somehow remains a blank slate. He's so bland you wonder why the girl was interested in him in the first place.

We find out that the girl he was sleeping with is the sister of his work partner's wife and she was already married to a guy coming home from war. The husband, Tyler, is understandably pissed off when he finds out, though he manages to figure out by seeing them kiss for a split second. The wife, Mia, is giving our main lead Sam the cold shoulder and this is too much for our wooden protagonist, so he leaves the next morning after creeping the pair in the bedroom while they sleep.

Tyler follows him and beats him senseless, eventually killing him in what could be an accident, we never learn that. One thing that this movie does do well is the shots of the soul leaving the body, where it seems to slip back from the eyes and flutter over the scene. But it's all downhill from here.

Sam wakes up in the body of Jay, how work partner, and after freaking out his wife, Poppy, as she tries to give him a birthday blowjob, he decides his best plan is to confront Tyler about killing him. Tyler, for some reason, actually believes Sam is inside Jay and confronts him. Sam continues to poke and prod at Tyler until he kills Sam...or Jay, which leads to the question: where did Jay go? Did he just blink out of existence?

Sam then ends up in Poppy and even after it going so horribly the last time, he goes right back to antagonizing Tyler. And if Jay is now a disembodied spirit and knows what happened to his body and Sam, wouldn't he fight to come back to protect his wife? Somehow Sam convinces Mia that he is now in the body of her sister and they bolt, but then take a detour to where Sam was killed and sit around and talk, allowing Tyler to catch up. They escape him once more, ending up with Sam in the back of Tyler's truck, where he puts an ax through the back window, which causes Tyler to crash into a lake and the truck sinks. Poppy's body becomes trapped and she apparently dies.

Sam then wakes up in Tyler, who has somehow survived an ax to the back and a car crash after going airborne into the water, but convinced his spirit to leave his body. Tyler's body is also still able to get out of the truck, free Poppy's body, carry her to the surface and revive her with CPR. He is then allowed to finally die because he saved someone, after not being able to save his sister from falling off a cliff and drowning as a child.

But then, in the final flashback of the movie (they are peppered through the movie), it shows his sister passing away and her spirit hovering around him, inferring that she was inside him the entire time, which ties back into his weirdness in the first twenty minutes of the movie.

We understand that Sam feels horrible that he couldn't protect his sister, but he is a paramedic. He has undoubtedly saved some people's lives in his career. He tells Mia that she was his first sexual encounter, which only adds to his weirdness, given he is mid to late twenties. But he is overly infatuated with Mia and yes Tyler is an absolute basket case, but the movie stretches his motivations to continue coming back three times to protect her.

If Sam and Tyler took two seconds to think, they'd realize that neither of them have to follow the course they go on. Sam could "hide out" in Jay and then send police to find his body and implicate Tyler, but he continues to antagonize him. Tyler should realize that no one is going to believe (at least at first) that Sam is inside Jay and take the time to get rid of Sam's body.

Jay and Poppy literally get screwed over because the silly love triangle goes crazy. Does Poppy remember being possessed by Sam? What kind of story do the sisters come up with to explain Jay's dead body, thinking that they explain Sam and Tyler killed each other?

See what I mean about too many questions.

6 Underground (9/10)
Birds of Prey (2020) (7/10)
Code Geass: Lelouche of the RE:Surrection (9/10)
Eureka 7 HiEvolution Movie 2: Anemone (7/10)
Rascal Does Not Dream of Dreaming Girl (9/10)
Uncut Gems (6/10)

Recently Seen:

Violet Evergarden: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll

Running Total: 7

Bombshell - theater
Michelle Wolf: Nice Lady - Hulu
6 Underground - Netflix
The Art of Self-Defense - Hulu
Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker IMAX 3D/IMAX - AMC/AMC
Richard Jewell - AMC
Inside Man: Most Wanted - Netflix
Spies in Disguise 3D - AMC
Little Women (2019) - AMC
1917 BigD - AMC
Anna and the Apocalypse - Hulu
Unfriended - Hulu
Unfriended: Dark Web - Hulu
Unfriended: Dark Web - Extended Version - Hulu
The Sun is Also a Star - Hulu
Underwater - AMC
Bad Boys for Life IMAX/2D - AMC/AMC
Just Mercy - AMC
Dolittle - AMC
The Turning - AMC
MST3K: The Killer Bees - YouTube
MST3K: Samson vs the Vampire Women - YouTube
MST3K: The Incredible Melting Man - YouTube
Uncut Gems - AMC
The Last Full Measure - AMC
The Gentlemen - AMC
Tom Papa: You're Doing Great! - Netflix
MST3K: Squirm - YouTube
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 2D/IMAX - Alamo Drafthouse/AMC
The Rhythm Section - AMC
MST3K: Track of the Moon Beast - YouTube
Parasite - AMC
Jeff Garlin: Our Man in Chicago - Netflix
Fantasy Island (2020) - AMC
Mark Maron: Too Real - Netflix
The Call of the Wild BigD - AMC
Mark Maron: Thinky Pain - Netflix
MST3K: Fire Maidens of Outer Space - YouTube
MST3K: The Screaming Skull - YouTube
The Invisible Man IMAX (2020) - AMC
Impractical Jokers: The Movie - AMC
Sonic the Hedgehog - AMC
The Foreigner - Netflix
Marc Maron: End Times Fun - Netflix
Onward IMAX - AMC
The Way Back - AMC
The Hunt - AMC
Bloodshot BigD - AMC
Emma. (2020) - AMC
The Assignment - Netflix
A Simple Favor - Hulu
Doom: Annihilation - Netflix
The Russia House - Hulu
Spenser Confidential - Netflix
The Other Guys - Netflix
Portrait of a Lady on Fire - Hulu
War Dogs - Hulu
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story - Hulu
Christopher Titus: Born with a Defect - YouTube
Disney Nature Elephant - Disney Plus
Christopher Titus: Angry Pursuit of Happiness - YouTube
Christopher Titus: Voice in My Head - YouTube
Christopher Titus: AMERiGEDDON - YouTube
The House With a Clock in Its Walls - Hulu
Artemis Fowl - Disney Plus
Jerry Seinfeld: 23 Hours to Kill - Netflix

THWaCiIW was kind of bizarre, didn't like it too much, but I did enjoy Jack Black & Cate Blanchett's characters. Watched it a couple of weeks ago, probably won't ever watch it again.

Watched AF tonight, and that was a bummer of a movie. So disappointing.

And I'm watching the latest standup special from Jerry Seinfeld via Netflix right now.

Executive Decision - B
Edge Of Tomorrow - B-
Power Rangers - D
Sully – C+

Every Time I Die - D+
The Hunted - C+

This movie had a lot of potential, but it just became muddied with too much going on.

The idea of the two leads, both highly trained men in this type of combat, one who has trained the other, going head to head was a strong idea. They had also gone out and gotten two strong actors in Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro to play these leads.

But the movie becomes bogged down with extraneous characters and lost opportunities. The protagonists of these kinds of movies at this time always had to have a team. Jones' character is written as a man who prefers to work alone and this kind of tracking and fighting lends to him being on his own. However, the movie decides to create an FBI team that it then tries to expand on just enough for you to care about when Del Toro makes them cannon fodder. Del Toro is also given a random mother/daughter to run to for ten minutes and allude to a bunch of PTSD issues, but at the end, their only real contribution is to provide Del Toro with a car to begin his escape.

These scenes make up roughly a half hour of screen time that would be better served building on some of the breadcrumbs the movie leaves behind. It alludes to Jones' character having some PTSD of his own or something that has forced him to retire to the wilderness. It also has Jones' character have an outburst in one scene about Del Toro being "one of his boys" and Del Toro's character finds this father figure in Jones. But we never get any sense of that relationship in flashback, only seeing Jones training Del Toro and others. There are no current scenes where the FBI characters ask Jones why he is so close to Del Toro and he explains a mission they went on or that this kind of work is like a secret club that only people in it can understand. They are just there and left dangling.

If the movie had started with Del Toro with the family, trying to get a sense of normalcy in his life and then escape from there, it would have given a better impetus for Jones to be brought in. The FBI should have been used as a bookend to get Jones into the story and have someone for Jones to tell about Del Toro's demise. With the removal of the FBI from the story, it could be moved from a large city, where those chase scenes are silly looking, to a smaller town and forested area to have the battle between the two leads. They could also build this relationship between them.

Outside of bad writing, the movie gets the grade it does because of the two strong performances from it leads and the fight scenes between them are well choreographed.

Executive Decision - B
Edge of Tomorrow - B-
Power Rangers - D
Sully – C+

Every Time I Die - D+
The Hunted - C+
The Edge of the Garden - B

This was a Hallmark movie (I didn't know that going in) that I recorded simply by reading the writeup on the PVR guide. It sounded like a romance (which would appeal to my wife) mixed with some sci-fi (which would appeal to me). Luckily, neither element was too overpowering to turn either of us off.

The plot is mildly weak (it is a Hallmark movie), but there is enough to keep my interest for an hour and a bit. I didn't see the need for the ex-fiancee character for the male lead and when history is changed, I was left wondering what happened to the husband character, who we had seen in the present timeline. Did he die in the fire and the life he had lived (good or bad) just cease to exist or did he live and there was an amicable split. I guess I have too many Trek episodes in the back of my mind.

If you are looking for something non-offensive, this one is a decent choice.

Executive Decision - B
Edge of Tomorrow - B-
Power Rangers - D
Sully – C+

Every Time I Die - D+
The Hunted - C+
Geostorm - D+

In the opening moments of this movie, there is a line about the world coming together in 2019 to solve this massive cataclysmic problem and I knew this movie had been written pre-Trump. There was no way this was happening in our current timeline.

Knowing this was a Dean Devlin film, I went in knowing it wasn't going to be a masterpiece. Like so many of the films he had produced, he is looking for big explosions, fighting, and light on plot. But Geostorm tries to set up this near future where there has been this catastrophe and Gerard Butler and his team somehow got all these nations to build to this satellite. Unlike Independence Day, where it is simply aliens attacking the planet, or Godzilla, where a giant lizard is attacking the planet, Geostorm doesn't have a simple backstory to drop into. There is just too much to unpack with regards to the current world climate and what these characters have already been through to have a normal disaster film.

Like Independence Day, Godzilla & The Patriot, another Devlin produced film, the Americans are our heroes. We have Gerard Butler, whose accent is quickly tried to be explained away that they were born in the UK and raised in the US and Jim Sturgess, who is somehow his brother even though their accents clearly don't match. Butler is also given an international team to help him, but they are quickly shuffled to the background as the brothers solve the entire conspiracy with the help of Sturgess' one hacker friend.

The Sturgess storyline, including his Secret Service girlfriend played by Abbie Cornish, solve most of the problems from the ground, sidelining the experts on the space station. One of the actresses/characters that is shortchange by this is Alexandra Maria Lara as the station commander. She is the head scientist of this station, there from the start. But she is spent being little more than wallpaper, a breathing person for Butler to bounce his ideas off of.

Another shortchanged character was the British double agent, who has a couple scenes as an asshole and is easily bribed with money that he is more than likely isn't going to be able to spend and doesn't seem to realize that the few remaining people on Earth would wonder where a scientist got such a huge sum of money that he described.

Ed Harris' motivations are equally one dimensional and having Andy Garcia as the president feels like some kind of Godfather movie. You also have the computer analyst in Hong Kong who can suddenly drive like John Cusack in 2012 when the city begins to overheat.

In the hands of a different writer, Geostorm could have been something more, still an action flick, but hopefully without some of the extraneous bits of the plot.

Bombshell - theater
6 Underground - Netflix
Richard Jewell - AMC
1917 BigD - AMC
Unfriended - Hulu
Underwater - AMC
Just Mercy - AMC
Dolittle - AMC
The Turning - AMC
Uncut Gems - AMC
The Gentlemen - AMC
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 2D/IMAX - Alamo Drafthouse/AMC
The Rhythm Section - AMC
Parasite - AMC
Sonic the Hedgehog - AMC
The Foreigner - Netflix
Onward IMAX - AMC
The Way Back - AMC
The Hunt - AMC
Bloodshot BigD - AMC
Emma. (2020) - AMC
The Assignment - Netflix
A Simple Favor - Hulu
The Russia House - Hulu
The Other Guys - Netflix
War Dogs - Hulu
JAWS (1975) - 4 Star Cinema

Spent yesterday with my youngest nephew. Lunch, shopping, dinner, and then a movie. The 4 Star Cinema in Kilgore reopened last week, with a mix of recent and classic releases, including Jaws.

Of course, I've seen the movie. First time was about twenty years ago, but every time I've watched it has been via DVD or basic cable with commercial breaks. My nephew hadn't seen it all the way through at all. So, yesterday was the first time for both of us to see it in a theater.

And that's why I'm adding it to my list of new to me movies for the year.

Greyhound

It was pretty good. Very simplistic premise. Almost felt like a real time movie. Loved the music cue they gave for the U-Boats. Made them feel like some mysterious alien force attacking them.
Loved hearing Dominic Keating as the commander of the Harry. He finally got his own ship. :)

Took my youngest nephew & my niece to see the original Ghostbusters last night in Kilgore.

Their first time seeing it, but I went to see it on the big screen in Longview last year, so it won't be added to my list.

Executive Decision - B
Edge of Tomorrow - B-
Power Rangers - D
Sully – C+

Every Time I Die - D+
The Hunted - C+
Geostorm - D+
Non-Stop - C-

This is a 1980's/1990's movie in 2014. Do you remember how many airplane or other vehicles in duress were there at this time. The problem is this movie is stuck in that time as well.

You don't bring Liam Neeson into a movie and have him spend the first 45 minutes staring into a phone. The airplane setting confines him from doing what he does best: kicking the living daylight out of anything that moves. I know he has the dramatic depth to do serious roles, but the script doesn't allow him that either. He is supposed to be big and frightening and ramp up the tension, but it was better realized in The Commuter, a film he did four years later. At least he didn't have to land the plane.

The motivation of the bad guy is flimsy as well. He wants to disgrace the Marshals service, but wants to do it in a suicide mission and by framing this one particular marshal. I don't understand how that accomplishes his goals.

As much as I love Liam, this movie would've been better as a psychological thriller.

Clear & Present Danger - A-

This movie is a classic with an all-star cast that does great with the material given. The only drawback to a Tom Clancy film is that there is so much going on that there are a million plot threads, so outside of Ryan, characters have to capitalize on what they are given.

Harrison Ford really shines as Ryan. This is a man who came off of Indiana Jones and Han Solo, but is completely believable as the intellectual, unwilling hero, a man who can fight, but isn't an acton hero.

The film shows its age. The scenes of Ryan and Ritter on the clunky computers and the giant mainframes are fun to look back on, but they don't detract from the story.

Executive Decision - B
Edge of Tomorrow - B-
Power Rangers - D
Sully – C+

Every Time I Die - D+
The Hunted - C+
Geostorm - D+
Non-Stop - C-
The Fugitive - A-

This is another movie where Harrison Food easily slips into a role. He sells the "You Find This Man" interrogation scene and shows once again that he can play a different character. This is also Tommy Lee Jones in his hey day. I had read that he improved a lot of his lines with the writer on the set and it just adds to the role.

The movie, like a lot of its time, have a lot of side characters that don't really add anything to the story except to give the leads someone to play off of or provide them with information. This provides us with some unneeded deviations. Did we really need to see what happened to the other prisoner who escaped, only to see that Jones' character will shoot instead of deal or to have the fake out that he had found Ford. Did we need the bumbling asshole detectives and their handful of scenes outside of their first appearance? Did we need the Polish landlady and her son? The story needs some of it to move along, but these are scenes that could be used to further push along the realization by Jones' character that not everyone is guilty just because the state finds them so that he goes on.

But the stars carry this movie past its flaws. It has a smart hero that outwits his pursuers instead of beating them up.

6 Underground (9/10)
Birds of Prey (2020) (7/10)
Code Geass: Lelouche of the RE:Surrection (9/10)
Eureka 7 HiEvolution Movie 2: Anemone (7/10)
Rascal Does Not Dream of Dreaming Girl (9/10)
Uncut Gems (6/10)
Violet Evergarden: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll

Recently Seen:
Darc (7/10)

Running Total: 8

Bombshell - theater
6 Underground - Netflix
Richard Jewell - AMC
1917 BigD - AMC
Unfriended - Hulu
Underwater - AMC
Just Mercy - AMC
Dolittle - AMC
The Turning - AMC
Uncut Gems - AMC
The Gentlemen - AMC
The Rhythm Section - AMC
Parasite - AMC
Sonic the Hedgehog - AMC
The Foreigner - Netflix
Onward IMAX - AMC
The Way Back - AMC
The Hunt - AMC
Bloodshot BigD - AMC
Emma. (2020) - AMC
The Assignment - Netflix
A Simple Favor - Hulu
The Russia House - Hulu
The Other Guys - Netflix
War Dogs - Hulu
Bad Education - Hulu
The Front Runner - Hulu
Hamilton - Disney Plus
Patriots Day - Netflix
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - Studio Movie Grill
The Old Guard - Netflix

A few weeks ago, I had a Hugh Jackman double feature during a night off. Started with BE, a based on a true story about corruption in a high school where the superintendent and principal were both stealing from their district. Followed that with TFR, the story of Gary Hart's doomed run for president in the late '80s.

A few days after Disney+ started streaming the Broadway musical, I watched it for myself. I've watched it a second time since then. I don't care about the historical inaccuracies, or fiddling with the timeline of events here & there, I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

PD was a well casted film based on the Boston Marathon bombings.

Last week, I went out to the SMG in Tyler and watched the second Indiana Jones movie. Now, I've seen it plenty of times, on VHS, DVD, streaming services, and basic cable, but that night was the first time to watch it on a theater screen. So, it gets added to the new to me list since it was a new way to watch it. And, with that, I have seen all four Indiana Jones films in the theater. KotCS was at the Barton Creek AMC in Austin when it opened. TLC was at the Alamo Drafthouse - Ritz in Austin when it was shown in 70mm. RotLA was at the same SMG in Tyler two years ago.

Dozed off last night while watching TOG, so fast forwarded today to the part I dozed off at. Finished it today. Pretty cool movie, with some interesting ideas. Too bad it ends with setup for a sequel that may or may not happen.

Executive Decision - B
Edge of Tomorrow - B-
Power Rangers - D
Sully – C+

Every Time I Die - D+
The Hunted - C+
Geostorm - D+
Non-Stop - C-
The Fugitive - A-

Split - A-

I'll be honest: I wasn't expecting a lot out of this movie. I thought it would be a goofy slasher flick while the lead tried to pretend he was housing all these identities within himself.

I was pleasantly surprised, especially by James McAvoy, who hit this role out of the park, making every character distinct, different from each other and there aren't any hints that he is struggling with any of the characters, their motivations of their ticks.

The one character I wasn't a huge fan of was his psychiatrist. Was her motivation to try and get her name in some papers or go on a crusade for people with DID. She seems completely caught off guard by his transformation into the final character, even after she has spent time piecing it all together. Does she really believe she would be able to control him by saying his name or convincing his personalities to listen to her? Her scenes tend to pull you out of the dramatic tension of what is happening to the girls (though I will admit to chuckling at her neighbour yelling at people how to spin the Wheel of Fortune wheel.) I would have preferred more of a 10 Cloverfield Lane vibe, where the girls are the focus and have no idea where they are or what is happening.

One character I did like was Casey in both her young and teenage versions. Both actresses really hit the nail on the head with their characterization of the abuse suffered at the hands of her uncle and what it did to her. They properly found her motivations.

Given how braindead people can be these days, I can understand why some people disliked this movie based on how DID was portrayed, making them seem like ticking time bomb murders, just waiting to go off. You'd hope that people would read into the disorder before jumping to conclusions, but the portrayal is accurate from what I can tell. Kevin just happened to have two personalities that were unhinged.

I have not seen the Bruce Willis first part or the third part with Samuel L. Jackson. I hope they will not dampen my enjoyment of this movie.

Executive Decision - B
Edge of Tomorrow - B-
Power Rangers - D
Sully – C+

Every Time I Die - D+
The Hunted - C+
Geostorm - D+
Non-Stop - C-
The Fugitive - A-

Split - A-
Time After Time (2011) - D+

This was another low-budget movie that has echoes of the Hallmark holiday season.

While Richard Thomas plays the older Dick with the right balance that you can believe him or think he's crazy and he and his younger self, played by Star Trek Enterprise alumni Kaj-Erik Eriksen, play well of each other, the story lacks gravitas.

As with most Hallmark movies, you know how it is going to end, but Time After Time doesn't focus on developing the love story between Richard and Jackie. We spend more time waffling back and forth based on the younger Richard's belief of the older, which wavers so much that it's hard to buy it has so much of an effect on him.

We also end up with a plethora of side characters that do nothing but push the three leads to do things and are roughly just cardboard cutouts to drive home the small town idea. They pull from the usual stable of Vancouver extras we find in our sci-fi like Carmen Moore (Andromeda), Alvin Sanders (who played Fred when Daniel Jackson was inhabited by Ma'Chello) among others. While its nice to recognize these actors, there isn't any value added to the story.

Bombshell - theater
6 Underground - Netflix
Richard Jewell - AMC
1917 BigD - AMC
Unfriended - Hulu
Underwater - AMC
Just Mercy - AMC
Dolittle - AMC
The Turning - AMC
Uncut Gems - AMC
The Gentlemen - AMC
The Rhythm Section - AMC
Parasite - AMC
Sonic the Hedgehog - AMC
The Foreigner - Netflix
Onward IMAX - AMC
The Way Back - AMC
The Hunt - AMC
Bloodshot BigD - AMC
Emma. (2020) - AMC
The Assignment - Netflix
A Simple Favor - Hulu
The Russia House - Hulu
The Other Guys - Netflix
War Dogs - Hulu
Bad Education - Hulu
The Front Runner - Hulu
Hamilton - Disney Plus
Patriots Day - Netflix
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - Studio Movie Grill
The Old Guard - Netflix
The Shootist - Hulu
The Spoilers - Hulu
True Grit (1969) - Hulu
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Studio Movie Grill
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Studio Movie Grill

Watched three John Wayne movies I hadn't seen before via Hulu over the weekend.

As for final films, The Shootist was fairly decent. I enjoyed it, and it did have a good cast.

The Spoilers was an early film from his career, he was John Wayne, but not yet "The Duke" since his role included black face and wearing a woman's robe (crossdressing?).

True Grit gives his Oscar winning role of Rooster Cogburn. Surprised to see Dennis Hopper and Robert Duvall show up in supporting roles. I don't think he would have deserved an Oscar, but ya can argue that it was in recognition for his whole forty year career, and not just that movie.

I read the book a few years ago and watched the 2010 version back when it came out.

My sister and I went out to Tyler to watch two of the Harry Potter films, the sixth one at 4:45 and the fifth one at 8:00. Kinda wish the Studio Movie Grill had shown them in the order of the release. I've seen the films on DVD and bits & pieces on various basic cable channels over the years, but tonight was the first time seeing them on the theater screen, so they go on my list.

Got a plan to see E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial and the original The Karate Kid on Thursday.

Executive Decision - B
Edge of Tomorrow - B-
Power Rangers - D
Sully – C+

Every Time I Die - D+
The Hunted - C+
Geostorm - D+
Non-Stop - C-
The Fugitive - A-

Split - A-
Time After Time (2011) - D+
The Girl On The Train - A

This was a great movie. The story was interesting and engaging. I didn't see the ending coming. The writing did a good job of hiding this revelation under it is all revealed by Lisa Kudrow.

Emily Blunt continues to cement herself as one of the best actresses of her generation. She played the alcoholic Rachel with convincing crushing pain. I've seen her in other movies and I completely bought that she was this person.

There wasn't a weak link in the cast, but special props go to Justin Theroux, who played both sides of his character with the kind of full commitment needed to make it fully believable.

Back